Old Dominion students want concealed carry on campus

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by gregs887, Sep 16, 2010.

1. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

ODU student facebook group fights for guns on campus | 13NEWS / WVEC.com | WVEC.com Home Page | Hampton Roads Local News | Hampton Roads Weather

I really do not understand why this is an issue. If someone has passed a background check and all the other hoops you have to jump through it's a pretty safe bet that they are not going to snap one day and shoot up the school.

In other news, freshman Meghan Nagle is a moron :rolleyes:

2. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

well, colleges are run by liberals, ODU included, I go to VCU in Richmond and am from the norfolk area so this issue is really close to home for me. In richmond college students are a really big target because they are generally out late, like me I take night classes and walk home, and are unarmed. While it's against school policy to carry a gun I am never found without a pocket knife.

3. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

The area around ODU is a high-crime zone. I knew that 30 years ago when I was bumbling through the bars down there, and I see it weekly now while working in the area. I can only say that if another major college in VA had permitted the rights guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States of America, there would be a lot more Virginia Tech alumni than there are today.

4. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

College safety for students

I just read a bulletin from another college (in S.C.), about suspiscious men lurking around women's housing, following women, etc. They advise these students to: "If you are confronted by an attacker, scream loudly and try to run to a safe area." How's that for no help at all? This same school has people arrested if they are found to be in possession of a firearm, even if it is just in their car while they drive down a U.S. highway that runs thru the campus. So, the best anyone can hope for is that the cops will show up and fill out a report after the assault is over.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Oh, I thought you were talking about the trucking company.

Most every driver I know has a boot gun. :rolleyes:

6. hnealg

hnealg New Member

On campus carry

Check out Students for Concealed Carry on Campus Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com

There are people working on this concept. This is, of course, an up-hill battle when even otherwise conservative politicians pale at the thought of guns, even legal ones, on campus.

My son was part of the student government at a smaller state university when the subject came up, a resolution on campus carry. He and a goodly number of the students favored on subject, but the rest of the students and the faculty advisor got all liberal/emotional about the issue--unfortunately the sheeple won out.

It is going to be a long, hard fight, but well worth it. Students deserve the right to defend themselves.

7. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

less than two months ago two of my close friends were robbed at gunpoint just off of William and Mary's campus. A couple years ago a guy I went to high school with was shot in the neck during a mugging. Last Friday a female student was the victim of a Robbery at the University of Virginia.

I constantly receive messages warning about suspicious persons around campus and Williamsburg has hardly any crime compared to Richmond and Norfolk.

Under current Virginia law the Boards of Visitors at state colleges and universities have the power to prohibit faculty, staff, and students from carrying on campus. However any law abiding citizen can carry on any state university lawfully (VCU is the one exception), but as a student I could get kicked out of school.

Virginia currently preempts localities from enacting any firearms laws and many suggest that the preemption statute could simply be expanded to include all state agencies, which would invalidate many anti-gun policies at public universities and state parks among other agencies.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The faculty would do well to read some of James Thurber's "Fables for Our Times". Recall his story of the newly hatched butterfly, who was convinced she was an angel, and this was heaven. The baby birds agreed it WAS heaven as they ate the butterfly.

All fables have a moral. This one was "She who would go unarmed in heaven, had best be sure that's where she is."

The profs are convinced that the ivy covered halls of learning are heaven.

9. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

I think the approach taken by some politicians and administrators is part of their ongoing quest to prove that "you don't have to be smart to be in charge".

10. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

So as a visiter (if I were to live in Virginia) to the campus I could legally carry, but as a student you can't? On what planet does that make sense?

11. hnealg

hnealg New Member

Student=Victim

All across the country, the BGs are realizing that an excellent location to find unarmed, and therefore safe-to-rob, victims (most of whom carry laptops, fancy cellphones, etc.) is in and around college campuses.

In Atlanta, the students at Georgia Tech were robbed at least weekly until the politicians pressured the police to put whatever resources it took to stop it. Now they are picking on the students at Georgia State, just a few miles away. Once the police/politicians think it's clear to move on the something else, the thugs will be back.

If you have someone you care about in college or will be going to college sooner or later, let your politicians know that you want to allow these people to defend themselves-allow the ones otherwise legally entitled to carry a weapon to do so on and off campus.

12. User Name

User Name New Member

I go to VCU aswell. It is against school policy to carry ANY weapon, including, firearms, knives, pepper spray, tazers, stun guns or anything that could be used for self defense. However VCU is very liberal. I have my CCW permit but cannot carry to class for obvious reasons. Would you be interested in starting something like this for VCU? I think it would be a great Idea for permit holders to be allowed to conceal carry on campus and to class. However I think open carry would be a bad idea, stricktly concealed carry.

13. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

From OP NO. 05-078 (2006)
    http://www.oag.state.va.us/OPINIONS/2006opns/05-078.pdf

"Accordingly, it is my opinion that the governing boards of Virginia’s public colleges and universities may not impose a general prohibition on the carrying of concealed weapons by permitted individuals. Pursuant to specific grants of statutory authority, however, it is my opinion that colleges and universities may regulate the conduct of students and employees to prohibit them from carrying concealed weapons on campus."

I cannot remember off hand how Virginia law applies to anybody choosing to open carry on the grounds of state colleges and universities, but concealed carry is clearly okay.

14. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

15. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Does it do any good to sign the petition if not a student there or a Virginia resident? I'd sign it but I live in S. Carolina

16. mpd8488

mpd8488 New Member

There are plenty of out of state signatures on it. Don't forget these big universities attract folks from all over the country and even international students.