Old Battle Rifles

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TLuker, Dec 6, 2011.

1. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I’m glad to see that old battle rifles remain so popular: Mausers, Enfields, Springfields, Garands, Mosins, and so on. Those guns are just cool. They’re tough as nails, relatively cheap especially for what you get, and they’re fun. They are also getting old, really old. And they’re declining in numbers and available parts. I’m guessing the Mosins will be the last hurrah for the military bolt actions.

Now I just can’t help but to wonder what is going to replace them. So what if any of today’s popular military rifles do any of you think will be popular surplus rifles in the future? AR’s and AK’s don’t count because the public will not be buying those guns “as is” when in service. :confused:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

unfortunately unless we somehow get rid of chairman regean's (may he rot in hell) 1986 nfa ban there wont be any post korea battle rafle sales :( fotr a guy that purported to hate communism he sure acted in the worst interest of the constitution during his reign

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I agree with Jon. One also has to remember that a lot of the surplus firearms from WWI, WWII, Korea, and so forth are still in use by various militias, local forces, and "militaries". So they will be around for a good while, that's for sure.

4. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, for post korea rifles, current era future surplus rifles will likely be stolen property, which doesn't really count as surplus. We are pretty much at the end of the rope on this one. Once the current surplus rifles are gone, there is no turning back I believe. Get em while they're hot!

5. vincent

vincent New Member

My mosinitis is acting up again...must...resist...awww screw it, just one more THEN I quit...ya, that's it, one more, it's the holidays...I can quit anytime I want...

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

Resistance is futile. Give in. give in now. Just do it. You know you won't regret it. You always need another one. there are so many to choose from.

7. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I don't see anything fielded today that will become a valued surplus item in the future. In my opinion, they've not made them like they used to. Nothing "special" about anything currently being used. Everything is either based off of an AR or AK..

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I'll say G3s, FALs. and M14s,

all in the venerable

NATO 7.62 X 51 round.

I'm not all that impressed by the new Russian, the AN-94,

or it's 5.56 copycat 5.45 round, either.

9. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

I was watching tac tv and they presented the new mp7, in this new micro caliber. No stopping power but the new rifle is sweet.

10. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

I just picked up my m1a from the gun shop yesterday and in my opinion this was the last great battle rifle ever conceived. It was a marriage between new tech and old tech. The combination if walnut and fullauto makes this battle implement the last.

11. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe New Member

I have a 1943 Lee Enfield No 4 which I have used to take two deer with iron sights. I love the thought that in addition to deer, the rifle may have been used to kill Nazis in North Africa. It is a little beat up, but it shoots great and the action is smooth as silk.

12. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

This year I got skunked, I badly wanted to take a buck with my tc triumph. Next year my m1garand will get my trophy. My 1922 mosinnagant is a great shooter. I tricked out tge iron sights I can put together 3" or better groups with it at 100yrds. I love my mosin.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  13. trip286

trip286 New Member

You by any chance have those mojo sights? I've been wanting to hear some first hand reviews of that set up.

14. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

One of the best bolt action rifles ever made. Deff. the smoothest action.

15. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

No, I installed an adjustable rear peep sight with an adjustable front fiberoptic "smith" sight. I also welded a bent bolt for faster cycling. Its a tack driver now. I just went to the range yesterday and shot a two inch group at 100yrds.

16. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I have dropped deer in their tracks at 300 yards with that gun. It's my sentimental favorite by far, and that's what got me to wondering about what modern battle rifles will we or future generations have to choose from (if any). Those old battle rifles have character and they were really built. How many new guns have quality adjustable machined iron sights or a trap door in the metal butt plate for a cleaning kit? Those guns are just fun and there were so many different an interesting types. They're also affordable for the average person. I just don't see any of that that in today's military guns.

17. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I have a lee enfield 1917 eddystone

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  18. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

I have a 1917 lee enfield eddystone sporterized with peep site. I got it when i was 17 I work all summer mowing lawns and doing odd jobs for people from my church and they all knew what I was work so hard for. I was my first rifle besides the 22 that my dad gave me. I will never get rid of it

Sorry about the repost I hit the wrong button

19. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I took my MAS 49/56 deer hunting 4 or 5 times this year.

20. hoganfireman

hoganfireman New Member

New battle rifles are tough, rugged, reliable. Just watch larry vickers on tach tv.com try to destroy a daniel defense m4. But those rifles just don't have that history yet, that allure. I cant pick up my ar15 and tell a story about it. liked I can when I pick up my grandpas m1 carbine.