Old ammo...?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by rn-cindy, Oct 21, 2013.

1. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

Bought this partial box of S&W 9MM ammo at a yard sale last weekend for $2.00. Think its safe to shoot...? They look ok, still seated tight. If nothing else, i thought the old box was cool....:) Date code on box is Aug 1975.

Attached Files:

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

The box might be worth more than the ammo. People collect old ammo boxes and ammo. Yes, the ammo is safe to shoot.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

The economy has gone to hell when nurses are forced to scavenge yard sales. :(

4. orangello

orangello New Member

The box is very cool!

I would use them for slow fire plinking rather than any kind of mag-dumping or anti-snake artillery.

5. rn-cindy

rn-cindy Active Member

LOL....Was riding around with readygirl...She is a yard sale nutjob....If she sees one, she lights up like a Christmas tree...and has a barn full of worthless crap to prove it........:)

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if the ammo isn't tarnished or corroded, and is still clean looking it's probably safe to shoot. just be attentive to any differences in the sound to make sure that none are faulty.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

S&W ammo was first rate (in its day). Smith got out of the ammo business and sold their patents (Ny-clad) and machinery to Federal.

Shoot it.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

1975? Sorry, but in ammunition years, that is still a baby. Am using up 1939 rifle ammo.

Nobody really knows how long modern ammo with modern primers is good for when properly stored. We have not lived that long yet. Ask in another 100 years.

In the meantime, shoot what ya got. As said, S&W made good ammo.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

It would seem extra appropriate for a CZ-75b.

10. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have to vehemently disagree nothing over a year old is safe to shoot and fortunately for you I'm well trained in the proper disposal of such out of date ordnance.
    PM me for a shipping address and I'll even help you with the shipping. :D
    No need to thank me I'm just concerned about your safety!

11. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It is safe, as far its age. It was commercially sold ammo, not milsurp or reloads. Gtg