Old ammo...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Seth_A7X, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

Hey guys...
    My grandpa and I were going through our basement and found an old box of 16 gauge slugs. The receipt said they where from 1969..
    Are these still shoot able or should me just toss them? Thanks
    -Seth

2. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have uses many boxes of ammo even older than that. heck, I have used lots of 30/06 surplus ammo from WW2. I'd say go for it as long as it looks cosmetically sound (no bulges, etc.)

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Agree. '69 ain't close to old.

4. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

Alright. I was just wondering. It doesn't look in too great condition so I don't know if I'll fire them or not.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Is an old box of slugs worth more than your favorite shotgun? Why risk a firearm if you are not sure about a box of old shells. :confused:

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

If they are not in excellent condition then I would not use them. Shotgun shells of that era are usually paper and can absorb a lot of moisture.

7. Seth_A7X

Seth_A7X New Member

Here are some pictures of the shells.

Attached Files:

8. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

I still have World War 2 30 ot 6 and 12 gauge oo that I do shoot not a problem

9. ctshooter

ctshooter New Member

As far as I can tell by the pictures they don't look bad to me. The plastic is a little discolored but other than that doesn't look like they have been wet or any thing.

10. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

They look good to me.

11. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I would not hesitate to shoot those, when shot-shells absorb a little moisture they get less powerful not more.
    I dropped one of those in a steam during the hunting season and the water was too deep for me to retrieve it,
    the following summer was dry and the water level down I picked up the shell wiped it off and out of curiosity
    stuck it in my shotgun. I was expecting a dud but it went off with apparently full power!
    If you decide to try just be certain the slug cleared the barrel before you try another ;)

12. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I would not hesitate to shoot them in MY gun, if I had a 16 gauge!

13. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I would personally keep them, I like old shells/boxes but they are probally safe to shoot.

14. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

That's what I was thinking.

The box says "All New Plastic"!

Now that's classic.

New shells are cheap enough. People collect that kind of retro sporting goods stuff. Might be worth some cash in someday.

15. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I would bring home the venison with those puppies!!

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Keep those puppies, some day they may be worth big money. The box & a few of em anyway, but yes they are shootable !.................

17. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

Keep em'! A box of ammo is a few dollars.. I'll give you 3 boxes of shot for that ONE box.. It'll look good on display in the man cave

18. 304inc

304inc New Member

" all new plastic"
    You sure can tell they're old..lol

19. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

The box itself is worth at least $10.00 on Ebay so if you do shoot them, keep the box. It's a nice keepsake.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  20. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

Look fine to shoot to me but I don't think I would given the collect ability