Old 45 Ammo, safe to use for target practice?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by mattsk8, Oct 14, 2013.

1. mattsk8

mattsk8 New Member

I inherited a S&W 45 from my grandpa. I also got 2 boxes of OLD bullets w/ it, they're Winchester .45 Auto Rim Lead (according to the box).

Are these OK to use for target practice? Or should I buy new? Just seems a waist not to use them, I have about 80 or more.

These were stored in a dry area and the bullets look fine w/ no visible corrosion, just FYI.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

I'm assuming the S&W is a revolver? 45 auto rim was used in revolvers chambered for 45 ACP.
    What does it say on the side of the barrel? Sounds like you have a Model 1917.

When shooting 45 ACP a clip is required, 1/3 moon, 1/2 moon, or the now common full moon
    clip. With the 45 auto rim ammo the clip is not required, as the ammo has a thick rim on it.

Shoot it? I would. Unless someone pops on here and says it has serious collector value.
    Save the brass-----new 45 auto rim ammo is not cheap. Pick up some 45 full moon clips
    (should be a buck or less per) and shoot it with less expensive 45 ACP.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

May not be safe for the target...

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Depending on what exactly it is the ammo could have some value. It would likely be just fine to shoot but you should show us a pic to see if it is collector ammo.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I regularly shoot ammo that was loaded before my father was born. Ammo from the early 1900s is usually just fine as long as it was stored properly.

6. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

WOW...That is some old ammo.....

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Sometimes, the old ammo may be worth more than the gun.

There are serious ammo collectors out there (just like toys still in the box).

8. mattsk8

mattsk8 New Member

Sorry I didn't respond, I forgot I started this thread :eek:.

I actually ended up buying a few boxes of 45 (ACP) ammo, but I did fire off 6 shots of the old Winchester ammo and it fires VERY well, actually better than the new ammo I had.

I have 2 boxes of the loaded ammo, and one box of empty shells. I will say the nice thing about the old ammo is the ejector on the gun works w/ it, whereas the new ammo's rim is too small the ejector misses it.

All that said, that .45 is such a FUN gun to shoot :D!!!

Here's some pics...

[​IMG]

And this is the box w/ the shells

[​IMG]

[​IMG]