Old 22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by fisherkip, Nov 17, 2012.

1. fisherkip

fisherkip New Member

I was in a local gun shop the other day he had an old 22 pump he said was from the thirties. It was a pump with an octagon barrel and a a tip up adjustable peep sight. I didn't have my firearms Id card so couldn't check it out. From what I could see it was in great shape.

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

First, it's a shame that you would need a "Firearms ID" card to check out a dealers firearm. I am sorry for your laws. As Blue as Washington State is, we still have great laws for gunowners.

Those old pump .22's can be fun and a good conversation piece when your are out plinking.

If it were me, and I were interested, here is what I would do.

Get the info, do some research and see what a fair price is for one in similar condition. Heck he should give you all the info you need over the phone to get started.

Next, you'll want to make sure that it's a shooter, hopefully you can trust your LGS.
    If not you'll have to work some kind of inspection. You, a knowledgable friend or another gunsmith.

Depending on what you want, it may or may not be worth it. Remember that parts could be a problem if something 'breaks' right after you own it.

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I would have my card with me any time I walked into a gun store!

KG7IL has some good advice. Those can be really pricey though so be prepared. I wish I had the Winchester pump my father-in-law used to have.

4. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

Wow, . How can my blue state be so good to me.

I just walk into a store and ask to see whatever I want.
    If a person looks to be 18/21, they may be asked for regular ID, i.e. Drivers License.

If they attempt that here, we'll want a bunch of you to move here and change our politicians.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That's how it is here in Cali, I was just saying that if we had that stupid FOID card requirement here I would always have it with me. We do have to have a handgun safety card to purchase a handgun though. It is good for 5 years, you pay $20 and take a test to get one. I think its 30 questions. I always get 100% correct on it.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

These dicussions run off more rails than Casey Jones ever did!

To the Original Poster- call the seller, ask if he can give you the make and the model. Post that information here, and we can possibly get you started on a range of values. Without that, have not a freaking clue- crystal ball is back in the shop for an oil change.

7. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

also... if you do spring on this pump, be sure to check what 22 ammo it requires.

If it's a thirties gun, I would think that it would handle standard velocity long rifle. but that's up to you to check. Get the 'exact' chambering from the barrel and take a look at this (or similar) information.
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm

also .... remember I am no expert, just a guy with a keyboard.

8. fisherkip

fisherkip New Member

Thanks good points on the phone call. Second, I didn't know there was a gun shop there it's new I stumbled on it. You're right New Jersey gun laws suck, but this is where I work so I deal with it. You ought to try the pistol laws, 3or4 months for a purchase permit.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Better idea- I live in Virginia. Purchase process is 3-4 MINUTES!

And DO check caliber closely- there were OTHER 22s back then besides .22 LR. Like 22 Winchester, 22 Remington, etc. And those do not fire .22 LR ammo. And are dang near impossible to find.

10. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Its probably a Marlin or Winchester...given the sketchy description...
    definitely call & get a MFR & model number!!

11. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

A couple of years ago I was in a Pa. gun shop and was lucky enough to pick up a Winchester model 62 pump mfg. in 1937. It's not the gallery gun that only shoots .22short. It shoots .22short, long and long rifle. It had been refinished and #8 engraved by person unknown. What a beautiful job? When I picked it up I couldn't put it down. I seen others similar that went for over $1000 and this one I was able to get for $475 tax included and all out the door. I felt like a thief. They even gave me a gun sock to carry it out.

I've been wanting this type of pump ever since I was a kid at the Coney Island shooting gallery. I've passed many of them up before over the years, cause stupidly I considered .22's a kid's gun. Well after wanting it for over 50 years I decided I was the kid that was gonna buy it and haven't regretted it since.

This one was in like new condition and the fanciest one I've ever held. People at the range even take notice of it while I'm shooting. To me it's like shooting a pellet rifle and brings me back so much happiness that I experienced years ago that I've almost forgotten. I'm also very impressed with it's accuracy. I contacted Buffalo Bill Historical Center for a letter, but was told their records for that period of time was lost in a fire. Too bad. These rifles are becoming very scarce, especially in good condition, so I wouldn't delay too long in locating one if it's your desire to own an original, which is rising in cost. Here's a few photos of mine.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I'm going to guess that the peep sight was an after market item. Williams peep sights have been popular add ons for a long time.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Remington made a pump action 22 also. I was lucky a while back to run into one of the 121 Fieldmaster rifles a couple years ago. The prices on any of the pump 22's does seem to fluctuate a good bit but they are great to have and shoot.

14. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

With my WA CPL and the insta check, yeah 3-4 minutes for large capacity semi-auto pistol. Funny thing is we seem to have less crime than those states with the whacked out laws written by extremely whaced out liberal politicians.

15. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

That's great. I'm glad that it get's out and has a chance to see people, and not just the inside of a safe.

It is beautiful.

16. bob2231

bob2231 New Member

gunsmoke11
    For a serious collector,the refinish and re-bluing probably hurt the value quite a bit.From my 2010 edition of Standard Cat. of Firearms,a pre-war 62 in that condition(VG-Exc),but original,would be around $1250,a post-war around $500.I wonder when it was mfrd.
    I have an '06,the version that the 62 replaced,in similar shape.

Attached Files:

17. bob2231

bob2231 New Member

By the way,for the OP,Marlin also made .22 pumps back in that period.Not as common as the Winchesters.
    But,the Winchester '06 standard finish model,had an optional Lyman rear tang sight available.

18. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

I consider myself to be a serious collector and normally refinishing will hurt value, but there's no way a gun can be engraved without refinishing. When it was engraved is impossible to know, but I'd rather have it engraved this way than plain, cause the cost of quality engraving and re-bluing would be very costly regardless who did it. Mine has 99% finish, which is about mint though not original. I've seen a couple over the past 2 years that sold in like new original unfired condition in the box for near $7000. Mine is worth a bit more now then if it had been left alone. I've seen these rifles selling with non factory engraving from well over $1000 to over $3000. The upper price being known engravers. Besides, if mine wasn't touched in original condition the price wouldn't have been what I paid, which was shockingly reasonable as far as I'm concerned. Even when wrecked these rifles sell for over $250.

I've seen many Winchester 22 pumps over the years, but only a few that were engraved. The price I paid would normally get a Rossi or Taurus copy, which a serious collector wouldn't be interested in. I have a number of engraved handguns, rifles and shotguns, but this little .22 is something I wanted since I was a kid, but for some stupid reason never bought one before. Then again, I never would've gotten one as pretty as this and this is one gun regardless of how pristine it looks I've been enjoying while shooting.

I also like the 1890 and '06 as well, especially the .22 short gallery version.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  19. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

There was many pump 22's made in that time period by many manufacturers. It may be worth many hundreds of dollars or it might be worth less than the rear sight.