Oklahoma Man Shooting Home Intruder

Discussion in 'Firearms in the Media' started by Bigcountry02, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

This was on the blaze:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...uder-after-police-couldnt-arrive-fast-enough/

I Just Put Three Rounds in His A**’: Dramatic 911 Call Captures Oklahoma Man Shooting Home Intruder After Police Couldn’t Arrive Fast Enough

http://pages.poncacitynews.com//sound/N Pine 13004595 edited.wav

2. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

3. RichNH

RichNH New Member Supporter

Wow, spoken like the typical person with a gun education courtesy of TV and movies. You know, the one where getting shot by a handgun throws you backwards several feet. I'm sure the neighbor was envisioning that after the first shot the intruder was instantly lying on the floor dead; why would you need shoot them twice more?

4. towboater

towboater Active Member

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

He was right to shoot the intruder. But why didn't he shout through the door and try to run the guy off?

6. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

He did a lot of stuff right. He didn't shoot until the perp was inside his house, he stayed on the line so the dispatcher could hear (and record) the event as it happened. I do think the words he used when talking to the dispatcher could have been chosen a little better. Rather than saying the BG was going to die, it would have been better to indicate that he was scared, and say that if he (they) managed to get inside he would shoot.
    Why that event would go to the DA I don't know, but I would expect him to be no-billed.

7. 1911love

1911love New Member

He might not get a chance to be no-billed. Look what happened to Zimmerman. They didn't even bring him before a grand jury, just straight to trial.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Those words may well end up haunting him. Never a good idea to sound all amped up and macho on the line w/911. " I am afraid for my life". I will shoot if I have to". "Please hurry". Will sound much better to a jury (grand or otherwise)

9. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

Doesn't change the fact that the perp busted in through his door though. He was within his rights to drop the guy no matter what he said.

10. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

In OK the DA is not required to take a self defense shooting case to the grand jury. If the prosecutor declines to prosecute; the family and friends of the late home invader can take up a petition for a grand jury. Few folks will sign a petition on behalf of a deceased home invader. :D

The Comanche county, OK prosecutor gave three passes on self defense killings in one 18 month period.

11. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Was the man justified? Yes. Could he have used better words while on the phone with 911? Yes.

If you listen closely you can hear where the man breaks down the front door and enter the house. The homeowner tells him to "get out of my house" and at this point 911 asks if the intruder is in the house. The homeowner tells her yes. He then tells the intruder at least once more to get out of his house.

After the shooting it doesn't take long for the homeowner to become distraught and start crying. That is something he will have to deal with for probably quite awhile. In one of the articles it said the intruder was shot in the face and "trunk" indicating that intruder was facing the homeowner who we can only assume has had his weapon drawn, probably for awhile now.

Opinion: The problem is that these criminals are becoming increasingly more violent and have no fear of death. Who can kick down someones front door while they are home, and then stare down the barrel of a gun while they are being told to leave, and not be phased by that?

12. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

"Why didn't he fire a warning shot to scare off the intruder? Are his children affected by this? Could he have used a more non-violent approach, like talking it over with the intruder? Could he haves used the gun as a club to knock the intruder down, and run to safety? Was he using an "assault weapon"? Did it have a "high capacity clip"? Who bought him the gun? Was his door properly locked? How well-lit was his house? Was he middle class? How many trees are in his yard?"

Liberal logic

I know someone who did the same thing. He saw someone breaking into a neighbors home, called 911, and told them they had 5 minutes before he shot the intruder. The police got there pretty fast.

13. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Maybe he should have held up a crucifix in front of his face. Then the drug-happy dirtbag would be scared of "God" and leave quietly. :D
    Or maybe the resident should have informed the perp that Nancy Pelosi and Ol' Lady Feinstein have decided that he shouldn't be breaking into people's houses. Then the perp would have said, "Oh, sorry", and would have left immediately.
    :cool:
    Besides, he was just starting to turn his life around, and needed to steal the TV so he could get some money for rehab...

14. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Like everyone else on God's Earth, I wish it wasn't necessary to have to be prepared to defend your life and family from evil doers.

This is proof that, we cannot leave our lives and well being in the hands of our law enforcement departments.

It is obvious, to me, from the 911 recording, that this man is under severe stress, before, during and after the break-in. I hope and pray that this man and his wife will recover from this traumatic experience. They will, no doubt, be hauted by it for a good while.

Again, I have to say, needing the services of a good shrink beats the hell outta needing mortician's service.