OK, whats the verdict on Rock Island Armory 1911's?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by StainlessSteel215, Nov 17, 2012.

1. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

I just looked up this sweet little 3.5" "tactical" compact RIA 1911 in matte black w/Novak sights fully shipped to my local FFL for $470. Now, I do own a few high end guns including 1911s and fully understand price vs quality....but this may be too good to pass up.

[​IMG]

So......I need feedback!

I would like to own a compact 1911 in .45 and not yet ready to drop $900 on a Kimber just yet. This could be a nice little piece to hold me over until then. I looked around and found various reviews with a VERY broad range, so now I ask this wonderful community to weigh in with any experience. GO!

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

Verdict is that RIA is getting tons of love from their customers.

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Great guns for a great price!

I picked this one up and it sold before I even got it to the shop!

RIA1911.jpg

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I love Rock Island 1911's. Linuxuser3890 has one, probably the most accurate handgun I've ever shot. Can't beat them for the price.

5. StainlessSteel215

Thanks guys, this is VERY encouraging.

Now I do have to also ask those who own/know a lot about compact 1911's specially smaller than 4" barrels....

Ive read lots of cycling issues and repeat malfunctions with some makers who use cheaper parts...even stoppages in the higher end guns like Kimber. I might consider the 4" commander length RIA but Im REALLY attracted to this short framed tactical version shown in the pic. Thanks in advance

6. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I've sold 2 of those to a guy who's put about 500 rounds each in and he hasn't had any issues.

7. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I have the exact RIA you're thinking of getting. I have about 3000 rounds through it and just now am thinking I need to replace the recoil spring. Every once in a while I will get a failure to battery, of course this is with my reloads, I have not had any issue with factory ammo. It is a very nice little 1911 and I will probably buy another RIA in the future.

8. StainlessSteel215

Thats more great feedback, liking the sound of this already!

Thanks guys

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Dude, just get it already ;)

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

ss215, the RIA is an excellent value in pistols. i have seen them in person and from all the reviews from people that do own them, i would buy one with confidence. i have plans on ordering one in 38 Super. from handling them, they have good fit and finish and machining looks good.

11. rab

rab New Member

Once you go Rock, you'll never go bock! 2ndmod.jpg

12. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

Honest injun, SS215, Rocks are phenomenally good guns. I own two; a full-sized tactical in .45 ACP and a .22TCM/9mm Micromag, and have bought one just like your picture for my oldest grandson's Christmas. They shoot very well without a lot of fettling and are very rugged. They may not have the flash of a Kimber or the cache' of an Ed Brown but they put lead downrange when you ask them to and don't ask for a special diet either. I'm not a fan of the standard grips but I've never seen any 1911 owner who didn't have a box of grips stashed away that he went through looking for "the ones". I don't think you will regret getting this Rock; you can spend more for a gun to shoot but you just can't shoot more gun than a Rock!

13. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

What model is this?

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

RIA? Hell yes :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  15. zx9rt1

zx9rt1 New Member

You can't go wrong with RIA, Armscor, or Citadel. Great shooters with great value.

16. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

RIA M1911-A1 FS Tactical with VZ Grips and Fiber Optic front site. The manufacturer's item number is 51485 (they've been hard to come by)

17. genesis

genesis New Member

Rock Island has a very good reputation. Go to youtube and do a search on "rock island armory 1911". You will get just a ton of excellent videos on it.

Happy shooting,

Don <><

18. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Must be.... i cant find one anywhere .____.

19. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Carry this everyday. Love it. Great gun for the money.

[​IMG]