Ok to dry fire a glock?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by indyfan, Aug 22, 2010.

1. indyfan

indyfan New Member

We we're practicing drills with my new Glock today. My friend suggested I practice dry firing at home (safely of course) because I tend to flinch when I fire the Glock.

Now I've heard bad things about dry firing guns, but he says its ok to dry fire without snap caps with glocks, XD's, USP's, etc

Is this true? I don't wan't to mess up my firing pin on my Glock

2. cmhill

cmhill New Member

well you have to dry fire it in order to break it down....

3. MB44

MB44 New Member

In your case - SAFE !

4. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

You don't have to dry fire a Glock to break it down..:rolleyes:

5. TheSadPanda

TheSadPanda New Member

The slide wont move forward unless the trigger is in the fired position on my G23. Is there another way of doing it?! :(

6. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

Yea, dude the glocks are ok for dryfiring

7. cmhill

cmhill New Member

In order the break down the g26 i have you must pull the trigger (dry fire) in order to break it down

8. ET1

ET1 New Member

Same here for my 21 & 27. I see no way around pulling the trigger to release the slide.

9. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Don't try to take down the Glock without dry firing it first. If you take it down without dry firing you could bend the connector and negate the warranty. Dry firing is alright with any center fire gun.

10. maierar

maierar New Member

I don't know about "any" center-fire gun, but dry firing is not recommended for KelTeks. It is, however, OK for Glocks.

11. Bighead

Bighead New Member

I think some missed the sarcasm and humor in the comments about .40 caliber Glock pistols not needing to be dry fired to breakdown. I'm sure the poster was referring to the supposed KaBoom potential of the .40 caliber Glock pistol (which I personally think is over hyped).

You can dry fire your Glock without worry. If you have any concern you can buy snap caps for a minimal investment.

12. user4

user4 New Member

Carried a Glock 17 as my duty weapon back when I was sheriffin'. I regularly dry fired my weapon for "draw" practice. It won't hurt it.

13. ET1

ET1 New Member

Sarcasm? On people with guns? :eek:

Rule #1: Never try sarcasm on someone carrying a gun.
    Rule #2: Never forget rule #1.

:D

14. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The only problem with using snap caps for the purpose of practicing your trigger pull is this: You have to keep on loading the mag because each reset requires ejecting a cap. I only have 5 caps so I have to keep loading.

If you don't feel like you need the click, you can place a small piece of cardboard between the barrel and ejection port and work the trigger all day. It doesn't offer the same feel of take-up, but you can practice your fundamentals.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DvyZvdC2Bs"]Dry-fire trick[/ame]

15. indyfan

indyfan New Member

Thanks for the vid chris, it works

16. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Oh, you're absolutely right! I suppose I was more thinking that one would have to perform some function to reset. That's true that you could keep the same snap cap in there. Or no snap cap. It doesn't matter too much.

Personally, I'd just rather practice at the range with live rounds. But that costs more money, fo' sho'.

17. PsyopsE694

PsyopsE694 New Member

Glock

Pull the slide back a bit, remove the slide plate, the striker, and extractor rod, then slide the slide off....guess you'all never had a lock up!....:)

18. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

I'd like to appologise for my earlier posting about not having to dry fire the glock before disassembly.. I was wrong:eek: .. I was visualizing my glock sitting there static "after" I had dry fired it .. Damn, sorry guys..

19. ColColt

ColColt New Member

I just happened to see this and if anyone's interested, there seems to be a different story about dry firing Glocks.

Dry Firing Glocks, The Official Word - Glock Talk

The pic is from another forum showing continued dry firing and the possible result.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  20. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

If u can break it down without dry firing it first, please show me:rolleyes: