Ok, regional foods!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boatme98, Sep 25, 2020.

1. boatme98

boatme98 Well-Known Member

On the Cape there were all the standard seafoods available. Clams, scallops, oysters, lobster, cod, flounder, swordfish, shark, and tons of other stuff.
    Oh, there really is no such thing as Scrod. It was just a marketing name created for the catch of the day. Attributed to the Parker House in Boston, home of Parker House dinner rolls.
    In Hyannis we had Mildred's Chowder House. After JFK was elected it became world famous as he had her chowder flown to the WH.
    CS_Mildreds_1.3.19_2.jpg download (14).jpeg
    My mom worked there on and off through the 1950s - 60s. It was open from 1949 to 2000. The building was demolished in 2010.

Then there were baked beans, Necco Wafers candy, Marshmallow Fluff, Moxie pop, New England boiled dinners, brown brread steamed in a coffee can, cranberries, wild blueberries, and tons of ice cream from all the small dairy farms.

ellis36 and Rifling82 like this.
  2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

In Northern Illinois. Best pizza ever. Italian beef sandwiches.

in Oklahoma. Wonderful BBQ and smoked meats.

schnuffleupagus likes this.

3. boatme98

Where are the northern poutine eaters? Arizona Blue bread munchers? The Georgia dirt eaters? Sheep, you'd better watch what you eat at the diner!

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

My father thought that eggs fried with hog brains was a culinary delicacy. I never got past the image.

Everybody with a second-hand food truck around here think that they make the best Bar-B-Q in the world, but most are dead wrong. A lot of the BBQ tastes like greasy cardboard with second rate sauces.

Living in the country, there is not much in the way of diversity of the menus. Probably the best ethnic food in these parts are from the taco trucks, but I am too afraid of Montezuma's revenge from eating from the mobile kitchens where the cook is constantly drenched in sweat. When I was younger, and healed faster, I enjoyed the Mexican food Trucks where the local Mexicans ate.

When I lived in Miami, it was a different story. Every day you could eat food from other countries and other cultures, it was an exciting food experience. You have never eaten a good steak until you get one from an authentic Argentinian eatery.

New Orleans has some good food, but you have to get away from the French Quarter to find it. When I lived in Chicago, I was too poor to experience any find dining and too wise to explore the neighborhoods with my skinned head and Southern accent.

5. Rifling82

Rifling82 Well-Known Member Supporter

Beef and pork here.... we use to be a pretty big pork producer in this part of Kansas so pork burgers at the yearly fall festival is a big deal.
    And of course smoked meat

boatme98 likes this.
  6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Lots of beef and buffler here.:):)

boatme98 and schnuffleupagus like this.
  7. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

This morning I walked across the street to a little old diner, had sausage gravy on pancakes, 2 eggs, home fries, and coffee.

8. Rifling82

Did you put the eggs on top the pan cakes and drench it in syrup?

SRK97 likes this.
  9. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

Gravy on the pancakes and mixed with the egg yolks. Im not big on syrup

Rifling82 likes this.
  10. Rifling82

;)

11. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

Grampa Charlie?

Rifling82 likes this.
  12. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

i bought a blackstone grill.

Hotcakes tomorrow.

In Chile they have a bread ajuja, that is awesome, like a big ole biscuit. Toasted with butter and Manjar! Que delicioso!
    I love traveling to Chile!

boatme98 likes this.
  13. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Boat
    I would have loved to have the opportunity to eat at Mildred's!:)
    My kind of place! And just only imagining how wonderful her Clam Chowder was makes my mouth water. Chowder is one of my favorites along with good old original Cajun Gumbo!
    Oh Cajun Red Beans and Rice! Man it is 11:00 am. and I am getting "HUNGRY"!:p

boatme98 likes this.
  14. microadventure

microadventure Well-Known Member

We have a State Question in NM: Red or green?

Meaning do you want red or green poblano chili on your Mexican food?

Green is not yet ripe red. Red is ripe green. Green is scorchy. Red is tangy. Green will bust a sweat, make your nose run, bring tears to your eyes, and 45 minutes later you have vicious hiccups.

I ate Mexican food in Oklahoma once. No poblano. It was like eating rice cakes.

I got pulled over by a State cop once for overabundant exuberance on the gas pedal. He asked me, what's your hurry? I told him I worked out of state for six months and I had to get a green chili fix. No ticket.

boatme98 likes this.
  15. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Being from Memphis, BBQ capital of the world, I must admit North Georgia BBQ is darn good. Bet I'll never find ribs as good as on North Parkway and Manassas back in Memphis. Little ghetto BBQ joint called Cozy Corner. In Memphis tourists just seem to want to go to The Rendezvous. They can get a table pretty easy because the hometown folk wouldn't even put The Rendezvous BBQ on even the honorable mention list. You have to find these little out of the way places. Biggest seller of pork BBQ in the U.S.A. is there too, Corky's, excellent BBQ. The original owner I've known since 1980, Jewish, always thought that was odd. Sadly he passed away a few years ago and his son sold the place. The new owners haven't endeared themselves to their employees or Memphis. I know my wife worked there for over 20 years before telling the new bigshots "So long."

boatme98 and Rifling82 like this.
  16. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Chain, on the gut wagons you make your choice based on teh season. In the summer eat things that don’t need refrigeration. In the winter eat things that need refrigeration.

17. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

In southern Idaho, I’d say steak fingers and and yeast dough scones.

Steak fingers are strips of beef, breaded with seasoned flour and fried. They were popularized by Hawkins Red Steer drive-Ins. The Hawkins family were cattlemen who had a farm to table operation. Raised and butchered the Red Angus beef, then sold it in their drive-in restaurants. They decided that grinding prime cuts into burger was wasteful, and came up with steak fingers. Typically served with fries.

The yeast dough scones are just deep fried yeast dough flats. Almost identical to Indian Fry bread. Served with either honey butter or huckleberry jam.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    boatme98 likes this.
  18. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

Living in the south these past 20+ years the things I miss from my past are:
    Taylor Ham (NJ)
    A real Cheese Steak (Philly)
    Bagels (NY)
    Pretzels (NY style and Philly style)
    Pizza (NY or Chicago)

EDIT: Diners and kosher deli

19. boatme98

My dad ate eggs & brains when he was young. Mom wasn't having any of that.

Winds, sorry. Best pizza (tomato pie) is definitely in the
    Baltimore-NY corridor. Chicagoans just think they know pizza is.:D

Micro, I had green chilli for thr first time in NM, I was hooked! It's almost all I eat now.
    NM & Az, roadside tamales!

Ah, Taylor's Pork Roll!!!! I can get it here in Tn. Love that stuff. Coastal NJ you get Captains Burgers. Three or four thick grilled slices on a Kaiser roll.

20. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

Ulster fry not good for the heart, OK in moderation.

Full_Ulster_fry.jpg

boatme98 likes this.