Ok now what?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by string1946, Mar 12, 2014.

1. string1946

string1946 New Member

I was resizing and depriming some range pick up 30-30 brass. When they were in the loading block they all look pretty much the same. They were sprayed with One Shot lube with some inside the neck. One felt a little harder to size then the others but not that bad. When I run the ram down the case neck stayed in the die. Is there any easy way to get it out without scratching up the inside of the die or am I just in the market for a new die. Never happened to me before. The dies are Lee if that makes a difference.

Attached Files:

2. Bayou

Bayou Member

Fortuantely, I've never had a case stuck in a die. If you can't extricate the brass on your own without the risk of damaging your die, there are stuck case removal tools, if you wish to google it, you will find them.

However, prior to spending anything on that tool, I would contact the die manufacturer and see where they stand on removing stuck brass from their dies. This happens all the time in the die business. For example, I believe I read somewhere that RCBS will remove a stuck brass for no charge if you send them the die.

I'm not sure about Lee's policy on this. Maybe worth a phone call to their customer service rep to discuss and find out.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

3. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions but I think the stuck case remover works if you have a whole case to work with and all I have in the die is the neck portion. The case body came out and I was able remove the decapping/expander rod. I can see the mouth of whats left through the top of the die. I may call Lee to see if I can buy just the die body. I will get the stuck piece out but the patient may not survive the operation. :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. BtDoctur

BtDoctur New Member

Unless it`s just the photo angle, they dont look anything like 30-30 hulls

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I load a lot of .30 WCF & have had that happen, I use a stuck case remover !.............

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Take a broken shell extractor, with the die in place put the extractor in the shell plate run the ram up until the top of the extractor engages case mouth then lower the ram and the broken bit will pop out.

A 308 extractor will work for any .30 application. Long as you have shell plate base for that case head.

What machine do you have and I'll link you what ya need

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

It looked the same in the loading block and the head stamp is 30-30 win. Actually the two cases in the picture have the same head stamp.

8. string1946

string1946 New Member

Jon my press is a Lyman T-mag so it uses standard shell holders and thanks.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...movers/broken-shell-extractors-prod24626.aspx

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/326468/rcbs-shellholder-3-308-winchester-30-06-springfield-45-acp

You can do a different extractor but the 30-06 is long enough to get any 30cal cartridge. If you want dual use get one for the 30-30 and use your current shell holder.

10. string1946

string1946 New Member

Thanks. I'll get the 30-06 from Brownells as its only a tad over $6 plus shipping. I need to find something else and combine the shipping. A bigger set of hollow ground screwdrivers? Maybe.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

i typically get one for each of my rifle calibers in case i do have a broken shell in a rifle.

12. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

There isl a lesson to learn from all of this. Don't use One-Shot on bottle neck rifle cases.

I learned that the hard way as well.

The Dillon spray lube works well. It's lanolin based a a lot slicker.

That's also another reason i'm not a fan of Lee dies. They have given me too many problems in the past.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

Whatever lube you use it needs to dry before you run the cases.

My pref is lanolin based spray lubes.

14. string1946

string1946 New Member

I never had a problem with Lee dies before and have over a dozen sets but I am going to reserve the one shot for straight wall cases. I'm going to order some of the Dillon lube and give it a try. Btw does anyone need the April Blue Press? For some reason Dillon sent me a box of 30 catalogs. Go figure. I still think something was going on with that case. I only got it about halfway in the die before deciding something was amiss but when I tried to pull it out of the die thats when the neck pulled off. I don't remember where I got that batch of cases but I still have around 50 yet to be resized and when I get home I'll look at them really close. I had resized maybe 50 from this batch before this one stuck.

15. locutus

Try lubing them lightly with your fingers with machine oil and see if that cures the problem.

I've had even straight wall .45-70 stick using one shot. After that, I threw the can away.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  16. string1946

string1946 New Member

When I quit fooling around with motorcycles I ended up with half a case of Amsoil left over. Maybe I can use that some how. :)

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Do not use petroleum based oils for case lube!!!!

That's a recipe for hang fires squibs and exploded guns.

18. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Have you tried removing the decapper from the die? Perhaps once the die is disasembled your could gently tap the broken piece of shell out from the top of the die with a punch or a long screwdriver.

19. string1946

string1946 New Member

Yes I did take decapping/expander rod out and I can see stuck piece of brass and have tried a little to get a screwdriver and punch on the mouth enough get it to move but no luck yet. I didn't try much for fear of scratching the inside of the die.

20. locutus

One other thing I thought of last night. (had trouble getting to sleep, so I was thinking about weird things like this:D)

.30-30 rifles have slightly "springy" actions. Perhaps the cases were stretched a bit, and thinned at some point. (This is a common problem with .303 British rifles)

If this is "range pick up" brass, inspect all cases for a shiny "ring" forward of the case head.

Even if you are successful at reloading it, it may separate on firing.