Ok, Now I'm looking...

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Chandler51, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Ok, so I'm in the market for an AK. I'd like to get everybody's opinion on which way to go. I know some here are tired of the "which ......... Should I get", and frankly so am I. So to keep from going in that direction, here's what I'm looking for...

I want a higher end AK, to begin with. While I think WASR's and the like are fine for what they are, that's not what I'm looking for and I have no desire to refinish or invest the time required to make one into what I'm looking for. I don't care to convert a Saiga or Tantal, but then I'm not opposed to one that has been converted already. I want it to have wood furniture, preferably with the "Russian red" hue.

Now, I'd like to ask of you guys, the AK brotherhood, to post pics of your stuff, what it is, where they can be bought, and WHY exactly you went with that over other available examples. I guess instead of asking "what should I get", I'm more interested to find "what all is out there", and what do people think of it.

I'm an AR guy at heart, but I can't discount the AKs any longer. I just don't know enough about them to even do any legitimate research. That's why I'm turning to you guys.

My price range is up to $1500

Thanks in advance, and let's see 'em!

2. rifleshooter474

rifleshooter474 New Member

The Arsenal's are top AK's built with quality I own three 2 7.62x39 and a 5.45x39. Never a single quality or shooting problem.:)

3. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

What's an Arsenal typically go for? just the bare bones, wood furniture, etc. Do you have any pics?

Thanks for your response. :)

4. rifleshooter474

These are mine Base prices are around $825US each the Russian Optics are not included.
    [​IMG]

5. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Wow...those are really nice. Are they milled or stamped receivers? And is there an advantage to having one over another?

Another question...a friend of mine has a couple of WASR's, which function well and are surprisingly (to me anyway) accurate. Thing is, they were very dirty when he first got them...like they were used or something. They supposedly were new. Is that typical of AK's? Or do the Arsenals come in "new" condition, like one would expect a new gun to be?

6. rifleshooter474

Mine are all stamped the milled have a lot more weight and cost around $150US more when they can be obtained.
    They are no better as for shooting it's just that the Russians first used milled receivers.

7. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Welcome to the dark side....

My vote goes out to Arsenal SGL-21

out of the box, got the bayonet for dirt cheap with the gun purchase:
    [​IMG]

this compensator works great:
    [​IMG]

Country of origin: Russia

Out of factory its accuracy checked:
    [​IMG]

Comes with proper scope mount rails:
    [​IMG]
    can slide POSP Russian scopes on:
    [​IMG]
    these scopes are cheap but FUN, illuminated reticles or you can buy the KV-04S mount and mount any scope you want to.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All parts are NEW and all numbers match!
    [​IMG]

I really love mine! It shoots great, accurate, reliable of course and has the cool factor of being actually Russian made and converted already to Russian mil specs. Chrome Lined barrel.
    Has bullet guides, 90 degree gas block with the vent holes, bullet guide, X and Y pattern receiver reinforcements, safety lever dimples, and some AK74 specs!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not my video but lots of good info on this gun:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYFlihPNS8[/ame]

Online ordering straight from k-var:
    http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=353

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Wow man, yeah...that helps a LOT. Nice setup, and I WOULD rather have Russian manufacture, thanks for pointing that out. I looked at the Arsenal website and noticed only the milled rcvr guns had wood furniture pictured. Is that an option on all the guns, or do you know? How big a deal would it be to swap it out once I buy it?

By the way Retro, is there anything you DON'T have? :D

9. rifleshooter474

If you live near Tulsa my Local Dealer Sooner Guns 5663 So. Mingo Rd. Tulsa Ok 74146 918-286-8888 e-mail soonerguns@cox.net Mark Legget Owner He has them in stock and it's where I bought all three of mine.

10. rifleshooter474

I also really enjoy shooting my Hungarian AMD-65 7.62x39 with my EOTech 553. For a small AK it's a door bell ringer.
    [​IMG]

11. goretro77

goretro77 New Member

Glad to help Chandler51! I just like to inform someone of whats out there before they lay down their hard earned cash.
    You can always swap put the furniture on these guns. :) My buddy swaps his out to whatever he feels like form time to time.

:D

12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Hey thanks, shooter...I'll check 'em out.
    Nice group out of that eotech, btw. what was the distance?

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Cool...sounds like Arsenal is the way to go. Thanks guys!!

14. rifleshooter474

I shot it indoor at the 2A range it was I am guessing around 25 yards not sure, shooting standing off hand.
    I just wanted a close up use weapon, and just wanted a fair quick shot group.
    It does show how good this small rifle really can shoot.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I've seen Arsenals for as low as $725. Another good option is a converted Saiga which is what an Arsenal really is. You can get a converted Saiga for under $500.

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Well, let me ask you this...

What is the one everybody wants? There are SO many variants. Romanian, Bulgarian, Chinese, Russian, etc...what's the one to have? I have a guy at work wanting to sell me his Bulgarian...haven't seen it or discussed a price yet, but I know so little about the different makes that I'm afraid to make an offer even if it looks good.

If you had a spare $1500 lying around, and were in the market for an AK, which would you buy?

17. rifleshooter474

If I was in the market for a rifle in or above $1,500 I would spend the extra $900 and by a the FNSCAR H 7.62x51 as I have the FNSCAR 16s 5.56 and it's a really quality non full auto rifle.
    [​IMG]

18. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Krebs customs, Google that and his website should come up. Makes some of the nicest AK's I've ever seen. I converted my own saiga but his stuff is what a lot of professionals consider THE BEST in the AK platform.

19. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Any Arsenal of your choosing will serve you nicely,and then some. But if you want the baddest AK on the block. Krebs is where to go.

20. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I have an ArmaLite AR10, LWRCI M6A2, etc...time for some "combloc" stuff. I wanted the 16S back when nobody had one, but now I've kinda moved past that phase. (for now, anyway). Maybe sometime down the road, but for now I have the "AK bug". :)