ok im asking for help

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by joshfireart, May 23, 2010.

1. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

im having ftf which has grown to failer to eject i belive its in the gas tube ive field strip and have cleaned the gun several times have sprayed break clean down gas tube several times how do ya pull the gas tube any good help will be welcomed.. my m4 has became a single shot with 30 round mag

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

there is a small roll pin on the gas block near the muzzle that holds the tube on.

3. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

well spayed the hell out of it wow its working again

4. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I think carb cleaner works better in the gas system than brake cleaner.

5. moshpit

moshpit New Member

1 or 2 drops of Break Free (in the very worst case scenarios, usually 3 of 4 works), a couple of pipe cleaners and 60 seconds, all it ever needs.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

When in doubt, Kroil!

[​IMG]

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Go by one of the craft stores, like Ben Franklin. They carry 18 inch pipecleaners. Once you finish with the gas tube, check the rings on your bolt, and security of the bolt carrier gas tube extension.

8. General-Logic

General-Logic New Member

Clean the bolt. Clean every hole in it. Make it sparkle.

9. rab

rab New Member

Hope it's cured.

What is it that points to the gas tube. Espeacially on a ftf?
    You've probobbly fixed it, but if not, take a look at the extractor. My first AR failure was a collapsed extractor spring.

good luck.....

10. CONKLE73

CONKLE73 New Member

Check the gas key and make sure it is clear…
    I have seen a blown primer from a bad round get stuck in the gas key and baffle the hell out of everyone… its rare, but it caused FTE really bad…
    As for your FTF problem… a dirty gas tube wouldn’t cause a failure to fire, neither would a blocked gas key.
    Any specifics that you can give would help… pics help a ton as well.

Factory rife or did you build it?
    The devil is in the details… have you checked to make sure that your hammer spring isn’t installed upside-down? That causes FTF pretty often due to lighter than normal primer strikes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

To understand problems with a firarm you must understand how it is supposed to work. They key lies in the 8 step cycle of operation.
    1. Feed
    2. Chamber
    3. Lock
    4. Fire
    5. Unlock
    6. Extract
    7. Eject
    8. Cock

When a problem arises look first at the step BEFORE the problem. Failure to fire is frequently a locking problem. Failure to extract is commonly an unlocking problem.

Since yours is exhibiting both I would look at the lock up. Check that the barrel extension is timed correctly. Look at the bolt locking lugs for uneven wear that might lead you to believe the extension is off a couple of degrees.

12. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

its working great now the FTF was caused by not going in to battery caused by the gas tube stoppage. The AR is a m4 BushMaster i think the detail of not cleaning was the major problem had never cleaned the gas tube in about 2000 rounds.

13. robocop10mm

So it was short stroking? 2000 rds with out cleaning the gas tube should not be fatal to reliability. You been shooting Wolf through that thing?

14. CONKLE73

CONKLE73 New Member

It didn't look like this did it?

[​IMG]

15. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

they were reloads of allaint 2015 br i had pick up on a trade also i had been cleaning the bore with Gunslick foaming gun cleaner. i later read that i should not had been doing that that i may plug the gas tube. silly directions any way. thanks for that list on trouble shooting that will be a big help next time.

16. robocop10mm

OMfreakingG!!!!! That hurts to see. The humanity. The humanity!!!

17. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Man that's one funky gun :eek:

18. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

O MY mine was clean compared to that one