OK, how many clay target shooters do we have here...

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Slugo, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Slugo

Slugo New Member

talking skeet, trap and sporting clays. I just joined this forum on my iPad as an application, but have been around the other forums for years. Most of my interests are revolve around buying, selling and collection high quality scatterguns. Been shooting sporting clays since 93. As you can see by my avatar what my favorite brand of shotgun is!! ;)

So, how many clay target shooters do we have out there!?!

2. Slugo

Slugo New Member

I see our avatars don't show up in the 'hybrid view'... :mad:

3. maierar

maierar New Member

Handguns and shotguns; target only for me. I'm not a hunter, I just love guns and shooting and consider it a challenge to compete against myself.

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I love skeet and trap shooting. It's my favorite shooting sport, but I greatly enjoy shooting in general.

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I enjoy both, but don't do it nearly enough.

6. Slugo

Slugo New Member

well then, let's post some pictures of some of our favorite target guns!

here's my 12ga/30" Browning B325 Sporting Clays (1993 vintage)

[​IMG]

12ga/30" Browning Lightning Sporting Clays with high-post rib (1996 vintage)

[​IMG]

12ga/28" Browning Special Skeet (1985 vintage)

[​IMG]

7. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I do enjoy shooting trap, but I do it mostly as practice for hunting. Although I´ve been thinking about buying a proper gun just for shooting clay targets.

You´ve got some very nice looking shotguns there Slugo :eek:

8. Slugo

Slugo New Member

thanks! I see you live in Finland. I'm sure you have access to some very nice pre-owned Belgian Browning Superposed shotguns. A nice 30" long 12 gauge and you're good for the trap field. Especially one with Mod/Full choke constrictions. Plus, I'm sure you fellows are shooting International Trap which is one of the most challenging target sports of all...

9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

You have some superb shotguns! One day I would love to get my hands on a Over and Under shotgun, but my Remington suites me just fine :D.

10. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

Thanks for the advice. Yes, International trap is popular in Finland but I shoot mainly Hunting trap (not sure if that´s the correct name/translation for it). There are quite a few Brownings out there, but Berettas and Perazzis are "the guns" when it comes to shooting clay targets in Finland. They´re pretty expensive but I´ve been looking at some Berettas. I´m just a student so I don´t have too much money to throw around, but I´m definately trying to get one next summer :)

11. Slugo

Slugo New Member

for sure!! Perazzis are known for their world class trap guns. As well they should be, given their price tag!!! ;)

12. Slugo

Slugo New Member

best way to buy an O/U is to find a good condition pre-owned Browning or Beretta. Many of mine are pre-owned. Amazing what's out there and at reasonable prices...

13. AleksiR

AleksiR New Member

I´ve tried a Perazzi once, it wasn´t even set up for me but still shot like a dream but as you said, they´re mighty expensive. So I guess I´ll go with the Beretta if I can find one I can afford, I´ll have to check out the 2nd hand market also.

14. SgtSam

SgtSam New Member

I like trap and skeet, but sporting clays is my favorite. I find all of them a challenge and lot of fun. But the greatest challenge, to me any way, is the extreme variation that you find in sporting clays. I shoot 12ga, 16ga, and 28ga. :D

I used to hunt upland birds and waterfowl. However, I don't anymore. I just hunt clays. Funny, though, I still haven't found a decent recipe to prepare them! ;):D

15. Slugo

Slugo New Member

I agree. My favorite without a doubt is sporting clays. Skeet second and trap third. I find 16 yard standard trap the easiest of the three. international trap, now that's a different matter, as is international skeet...

16. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

I've done it several times and love shooting clays. I'm pretty sore after a morning of shooting. I don't have a sporting type shotgun so I always use my friends Browning 12ga o/u, and Barretta 20ga o/u.

I'm really looking for one of my own. I'm leaning, heavily towards a Rem. 11-87. I'd like to stay with an autoloader so it's more likely my wife would enjoy it, with a bit less punishing recoil. Now I just have to fine one or two.

17. Gripsmeister

Gripsmeister New Member

I shoot clays in the dark. With a fully moded saiga 12 with a weapon light, on instant pull with 200 lumens. Its great for quick dark target location practice.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  18. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

I use to do it a lot when I was younger (every fourth of July off the back deck), but since then I haven't really done it too much should probably get back into it.

19. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Trap shooter, used to run a BT 99 and a Browning O/U XT Gold but I sold them because I just don't have the time to take it seriously anymore. Nowadays I shoot a old 870T with GORGEOUS wood and a Winchester 1897 and my scores are still as high as they used to plus I get a lot of interesting looks at the range when I shoot the '97 :D

My wife shoots a BT-99 Golden clays and she's deadly with it.

20. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

trap and sporting clays shoot mostly berettas 686 and 687 cant say how many i have if my wife see"s this and i tell life will not be good