OK Guys, so how did I do?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Glasshartt, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

OK, I was at the Gun Show today (without Scubie) and this gun caught my eye. I don't normally look at nickle plated guns but there was something about this one. It turned out to be an Ithaca 1911. Supposedly it is a "parade" model. It looks really good, the plating looks original, the marks on the side are crisp. Is is marked "United States Property" and has the Frank J Atwood "FJA" mark behind the trigger, above the mag release. There is also a "P" below the magazine release, either an F or an L on the slide near the rear sight, and what looks like 2 upside down "V's" in front of the slide lock.The bore looks good. I have been looking for a "United States Property" 1911 for Shawn for a long time, but, since he absolutely dislikes Ithaca guns, :p, I guess this one is mine.

Attached Files:

2. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

OK here are some more pics

Attached Files:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Very nice. I'd love to have an old war horse 1911. I think AA stands for Augusta Arsenal. Maybe it was rebuilt and or plated there...

4. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Looks pretty neat! Good thing I have two monitors going so I can see the whole thing. :D

5. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I also saw one of the TALO Ghost Commander specials, if I remember right, it was serial number 00102. A shop from Lubbock with a booth at the show had it. It was $995.00. It was sweet, it is a lightweight commander. They didn't have anything with it showing that it was a special edition or anything.

6. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Here is a picture taken of my dad in 1946 outside of his Army barracks. He was in the 11th Airborne Division and was about to go into Tokyo to pickup another trooper from his squad that was at the MP station. That trooper had gotten drunk and had been fighting. Whenever a soldier left base he was armed - there were still some ill feelings between the Americans and Japanese. In the original picture you can see that the 45 he is holding is not standard issue. His 45 was nickel plated and wore ivory grips. Some day I may get an old army gun and set it up like that one.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

That sure is nice. Is that your fingerprint? Very nice find indeed.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

IF scubie doesn't like it can I call dibs?

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's a very nice find Glasshartt. I think a lot of the guys on here would have done exactly what you did and scoop that collector piece up for the history alone.

Very nice addition to the family.

JD

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Nice snag Linda!

I likes me some Ithacas!

[​IMG]

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

0480XSENNC Colt Ghost Commander

[​IMG]

The new 0480XSENNC Colt Ghost Commander is built on the lightweight Commander frame with a green fiber optic front sight and half moon rear sight!

[​IMG]

Fantastic new limited edition Colt from Talo. The special run is limited to 400.

They are going for >$1100, I think you should snap that one up too. With only 400 made its sure to appreciate!

12. spittinfire

Isn't there a story to go with that one?

13. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

What can I say guys... she's a keeper. :D

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yep, and thanks for askin' Rusty!

Dad's M1911 A1 carried from Normandy 6/6/1944 to Dachau in April 1945.

The American VII Corps, which began to debark on UTAH at 0630 included my Dad in the spearhead landing. (First boots on Utah)

[​IMG]
    4th Division troops behind a concrete wall on Utah Beach

The assaulting troops quickly took the upper hand and within three hours the enemy force defending the beach had surrendered and Allied troops and supplies were moving inland. In all, some 23,000 men came ashore at UTAH that day.

Many men distinguished themselves that morning, among them the 4th Division's Assistant Division Commander, Brig. Gen. Theodore Roosevelt, Jr. Going ashore with the first wave, Roosevelt contributed materially to the success of his forces by personally reconnoitering the area inland from the beach. He then returned to the beachhead time and again, without concern for his own life, to lead groups of his men over a seawall through enemy fire to safety. He earned a Medal of Honor for his gallantry.

His 45 was fired numerous times during his European Holiday but the one he spent in Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany produced his only confirmed kill. (Not his only one, it's just that no one counts when in battle)

He was rummag.......ah........inspecting a drawer in a desk at a forward German Pay Post with his 45 held overhead when a German Officer came out of a closet drawing his Luger. If he had taken it out prior to exiting the closet this story may have been told in German! (And the whole coming out of the closet story is not a pun!)

The resulting firefight was one 45 ACP round and a loud thud as the German returned to the closet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for the thread-jacking.

15. spittinfire

I love hearing stories like that. Thanks for refreshing my memory.