OK everyone, I need some help!

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Alpha1Victor, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I am in the market for a truck gun. I have narrowed it down to 2 options.

The Marlin 336 in 30-30.
    And
    Mossberg MVP patrol in .308

I like the mossberg due to the fact it's chambered in .308 which I currently reload. I also like it because I'm familiar with bolt guns.

I have always wanted a lever gun but have no experience with them. I have heard great things about them and the legendary 30-30.

Like I said this will primarily be used for a truck gun inside of 300 yards.

Does anyone have other recommendations or experience with either gun to help in my decision? Thank you in advance.

2. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

A Bolt in .308 is the Best IMO, especially if your looking at 300yds. a 30-30 will not do that very well.

3. readytogo

readytogo New Member

You reload .308 why not make it easy on yourself and stick with it, besides a
    .308 is a perfect all around caliber for all north America game ,including two legged predetors

4. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

5. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Alpha,

I am just going to sound like an echo here! I love the levers as well but if you are talking about longer ranges like 150-300yards as you mentioned. There is only one choice in my opinion, that is the 308 Cal. Rifle. And the other factor when considering the 30-30 and the 308. The 308 has a more vast choice of bullets to choose from and will take down any North American game excluding the Grizz! Even though it can, with perfect shot placement I would not recommend it for the Grizz! If you took one Grizz hunting you might want to take a 22 pistol so you could shoot the guide in the leg and outrun him!!! :p
    I have killed deer with both calibers but as much as I like the 30-30 for heavy brush and ranges around 100 yards I think the best choice by far is the Mossberg 308.

6. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Is a scoped lever gun not capable of 300 yards? Either gun will most likely get a variable power scope. It's really a tough choice for me to pick between these two.

7. TLuker

TLuker New Member

Get a Savage M99 in .308 and problem solved (it's a lever gun). A lever gun is generally not as accurate as a bolt so that alone limits range. In addition there are very few lever guns in calibers suitable for 300 yards. I love the 30-30 but I wouldn't take a shot past 200 yards with it, and I wouldn't shoot that far unless my gun was accurate enough for 200 yards. The 30-30 just doesn't have enough power behind it. The Savage M99 is clip feed and comes in larger calibers but they generally aren't as accurate as bolt guns so 300 yards is still questionable due to the accuracy of the rifle. If you found one that would shoot tight enough groups then it would be a suitable 300 yard lever gun. :)

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

The problem of range in the lever guns is mostly due to the fact that they use bullets with flat or round points. This reduces their ballistic efficiency, so they slow down a bit faster than a pointed .308 bullet of the same weight. Also the .30-30 is a lower pressure round, so velocity starts out lower. The inherent accuracy of a Marlin 336 is pretty good, I've managed MOA with hand loads and one factory load. So, that isn't the issue. It's just that it won't be packing the punch most folks want for humane game harvesting at 300 yds.

Hornady LeverEvolution ammo can get you almost there as far as 300 yd ballistics. They use a blended powder, that gets more velocity at lower pressure and use flex tipped bullets to buck wind resistance more like a spritzer bullet would out if a .308. It is also very accurate ammo. The downside is that it is pricey, and about the only commercial
    load to get that kind of performance in .30-30.

I love the handiness of a lever gun. If you really see 300 yds as a regular need, it may not be the best tool, but if you honestly really only needed it for 200 yds, but may need an occasional stretch out to 300 yds. The lever gun in .30-30 is a pretty handy tool.

9. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I recently had a Marlin .357 for a time and it was not a 300 yard gun for me and mine. Not saying you can't but on average most users won't make that distance.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Get a Browning Lever Rifle in .308, then you get everything you want.

11. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

300 yards was just a guesstimate. The point of this gun would be a lightweight handy rifle that would be good on varmints, ward off an attacker, and if shtf it can be used to fight my way home to my family and guns :)

12. TLuker

TLuker New Member

For some reason I always forget about Browing's lever action. :confused:

13. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

I like the idea of a lever but only have the base Henry .22, having a rifle with no mag that could be constantly reloaded the way a pump shotgun can is very appealing. Did not find the Marlin that quick to load and in my world (edge of the Mississippi delta) ranges can go past pistol cartridge range fast. Wonder if there are any pump rifles left with tube mags?

14. TLuker

TLuker New Member

The Marlin will work fine but you might want to think about something in .223 unless you just want a lever action. 223 is a lot cheaper for plinking and a bolt action in that would just be a nice light weight truck rifle. :)

15. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I do have a few AR rifles at home including .223 and. 300 blackout. The thing is, I don't want to leave an AR in my truck. I want something different, handy and cheaper. I'll carry enough ammo and a bug bag incase something happens to my truck. IE a natural disaster.

16. 6_5swedeforelk

6_5swedeforelk New Member

There's an open season on trucks down there??
    You yanks will shoot anything!

And Alpha... what are you "fighting your way through to get home"?
    Trust me, we Canadians have no plans to invade and make your life miserable-
    Except maybe for Justen Beiber! So sorry.

200 likes & I'll pick Beiber up myself.

17. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

That beiber fellow... Almost makes me wish walking dead was real. But this is the south and it's almost un-american NOT to have a gun in to ur truck.

18. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Both options you mentioned in the OP are viable. I have both, if I had to choose one over the other, here in PA, I'd choose the Marlin .30-30. With the Leverevolution ammo you get a true 250 yd. long gun & the ability to lay down a quicker payload of lead in a pinch.

19. Mercator

Mercator New Member

Second that. Revolver calibers are often overlooked, but for the purpose they are ideal. Probably no glass and hardly ever prone shooting with that rifle, so might as well enjoy the classic lever. You'll be faster with repeat shots too. And a companion handgun if you want.

20. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

OK well I went to cabelas and picked this up. I checked out both guns in question and bought this Marlin 336y. I have read about Marlin having some poor quality issues lately and this doesn't seem to be affected.
    I will get to the range this weekend to shoot it. I also bought the kids their first gun, a ruger 10/22.

Attached Files: