OK, .22 pistols

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by NGIB, Oct 1, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Along with 1911s, I love .22 pistols as they're much fun and cheap to shoot. Here's my opinion (for what it's worth) on some popular models.

For semi-autos, the 2 top guns year after year seem to be the Ruger and the Buckmark. I've had multiples of both and both are great guns. While the Buckmark has the best trigger out of the box, I prefer the steel frame Ruger. If Browning would include 2 mags and a steel sight base - it would be a tougher selection. The poly-framed Ruger 22/45 is a fine gun as well but I find the grip area way to thin for me.

For a "duty trainer" type .22, there are conversion kits available for 1911s, Glocks, and Sigs. I've used these on a 1911 and they offer good trigger time and cheap operation. I'm also a real fan of the Sig P series .22s Sig offers most of their P series guns (220, 226, 229) as a .22 with a coupon in the box for appropriate centerfire conversion kit. This is a cost effective way to get a great dual-caliber gun.

In DA revolvers, the only real choice for a new gun IMHO is a S&W - and I prefer the 617. Taurus and Charter both make .22 revolvers but they aren't on the same page as the Smiths. In used guns I also give the nod to S&W and the gun I'd love to have is a Model 18, which is the .22 version of the legendary Combat Masterpiece .38 special. If you can find one, Colt also made some really great .22 revolvers - but they are seriously expensive. For a great gun at a great value, the Dan Wesson .22s are available at a reasonable cost and are tremendous guns.

If you don't have a good quality .22 pistol - your collection needs one...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

There are 2 popular (or infamous) .22s that I didn't mention above as they belong on their own - the Walther P22 and the Sig Mosquito.

Mention either on an internet forum and you'll soon get 10 posts that say they suck and 1 post that says they're OK. My wife has a P22 and my son has a Mosquito - and both of these have been reliable and fun plinkers. Neither was designed to be a target gun and we don't expect that kind of accuracy - so we're not disappointed. We probably have 3K rounds through both of these, mostly Federal bulk ammo, with no real problems. My son's Mosquito will actually shoot Remington Thunderbolt reliably which I find amazing to say the least.

Personally, even though we've been happy with ours - I wouldn't recommend either as they're a crap shoot at best. I've actually shot "bad" examples of both so I know the bad press is deserved in some cases. If you're considering either of these - shoot before you buy and if you get a good one they are a lot of fun...

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I'm a HUGE fan of the Rugers. A lot of people have trouble putting them back together after field stripping to clean, but once the procedure is learned, it's easy. I currently have 2 of the Rugers-a mk 2 slab side and a mk 3 22/45. The slab side is considerably more accurate than the 22/45 mk 3-not that the 22/45 is a slouch, just that the scoped slab side is amazing.

For 1911 conversions, In my opinion the Marvel conversion is reliable & the most accurate due to it's design.

4. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I agree a 22 handgun would be, and is my handgun of choice in a wilderness survival senerio. However the guns you mentioned are all new guns. You failed to mention the 3 most famous and used 22 handguns used in the civilization of the north country. The Colt Woodsman, the High Standard models B and HD, and the Smith & Wesson Outdoorsman. These 3 have been there, done that.

5. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You're correct that these are fine guns; however, none of these 3 are readily available and they can be very pricey. I focused my discussion on mass market pieces that are readily available both new & used...

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would like to add a new comer to the market. The Beretta Neos. I have a neos 6.5". It has good open sights that are not even close to sighted in from teh factory. Not a big deal to me. The things I just love about this little gun are, The barrel is held to the frame by one nut with a locking device on it so once tight it will not come lose the barrel has a full length weaver rail on the top allowing for mounting a scope, red dot (Mine) or a reflex sight. I have found you needs to be 35 or under to really like this gun. It is a little space age looking and on the higher end model comes with interchangeable colored grip panels in gray, blue and I think red but I am not sure. I purchased mine at Gander Mtn. for the whopping price of $199 +Tax. While not as accurate as the Browning or the Ruger it is close and plenty accurate for a good Sunday range day plinker. I have taken a few squirrels with him at 50 yards and under. One big plus is if you have a younger child you can buy barrel from 4.5", 5.5", 6.5" in length. I would like to see a 7.5" or even a 8.5" barrel offered. The trigger pull is ok to good. Not as good as the browning but it can hang with a factory ruger trigger. If you have a younger video game loving kid like I do the Beretta Neos may just be the ticket to get him off the duff and on the range.
    825_big_1.jpg

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Sorry Tango but that gun has more ghey than a Glock - by a country mile. I have to ask you - do you wear your frilly girl panties while shooting that one?

Actually, I've heard a lot of good things about them - I just couldn't own one myself...

8. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Mine for your informaion is all black (A man color) and shoots neonatlenukeapile tip ammo. It carries a 144mm red dot that is good for 1000 yards head shots on field mice.

Like I said you "OLD CRUSTY EFFERS" may not like it. At least my Neos has more ergonomics than a effing 2x4.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You Lie! (I am from SC)

We all know you have the pink trimmed model and use subsonic girlie ammo...

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a Super Single Six and a S&W 22a. The Smith looks a bit cheesy, the finish on the barrel looks like rustoleum. It shoots like a dream. 10 shot groups at 10 yards you can cover with a dime. $125 at a pawn shop, I can't complain about it.

11. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I've always had several .22's - lots of fun to shoot.

Ruger Single Six - Baretta 70S auto - two (2) Ruger Bearcat's (I love this one) - Ruger Mark II (with a bull barrel)

I agree everyone ought to own several .22 just for fun.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  12. Viking

Viking Active Member

My wife claims the Ruger ss .22 pistol is her's but I've killed a lot of digger squirels with it at 75-100 yards. Years ago when we lived in Colorada she had a blued Ruger we used to carry during deer and elk season that I often did neck kills on grouse. They are definately extremely well made and quite accurate for fixed sights

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I need to add a Ruger Bearcat and a Smith M17 K-22 and a Smith SS617 with the full under lug barrel on it.

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Love my 10 shot 617 (you'll note there is no ghey here)...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  15. CCW357

CCW357 New Member

I am old school , I have a High Standard Supermatic Tournement model.
    Sweet shooting pistol...

16. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

I have a Sig Sauer Mosquito, no problems, no complaints.
    I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. :confused:
    .22's are fun to shoot.

17. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Probably got them night sights!

18. WDB

WDB New Member

I like the looks of that S&W 617, I use to have a Ruger single six and a Ruger MK2. All I have now in 22 is an AMT long slide Automag and a 22lr barrel for my TC. I don't shoot either often. I need to get to the local gun stores and pawn shops to see what I can find.

Thanks all for giving me the 22 bug again, I thought I out grew it but clearly not:)

19. OC357

OC357 New Member

I can only talk about my personal experience.

1) Walther P22.......wouldn't cycle with anything but high speed CCI Mini Mags or Winchester super x high vel. Otherwise almost every round would jam. I put an awefull lot of rounds through it and it did love the CCI Mini Mags and worked flawlessly with them. It was only fairly accurate.

2) High Standard Sentinal. Shoots any kind of ammo and is dead-on balls accurate.

Just my personal experience with these two.

OC

20. wst tx hunter

wst tx hunter New Member

i have an old ruger single six my dad bought in the sixties. has both cylinders and adjustable sights. if i am out back shooting against my buddies that is the pistol that i always bring out.as far as accuracy id put it against almost any .22 pistol,but i have been shooting it for more than 20 yrs.