Oiling a gun.

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by TheEvilAngel8, Nov 22, 2017.

1. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Lucas Gun Oil; Prevents jamming and overheating, resists evaporation and penetrates rust freeing stuck parts and actions. Polymeric film protects from rust, wear and moisture and makes copper, lead and wad fouling much easier to clean. It neutralizes acids from fingerprints and resists drying for long term storage use.

https://lucasoil.com/products/out-door-line/extreme-duty-gun-oil

tinbucket and Dallas53 like this.
  2. Fred_G

Fred_G Active Member

Really depends on the gun. Most guns just need a bit of oil, some 1911's like to run wet, lube according to the gun maker.

As far as the brand of oil, try a few, use what works.

3. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

Why is it that every time we get one of these cleaning lube posts seemingly sane people lose their minds? Your AR, AK, Glock, CZ, 1911, Sks and any other semi-auto you care to include seem to require some Super Lube that far exceeds the requirements of even a Mini-Gun?

4. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

I like my guns to run wet or slick. As everyone is familiar with rails on 1911s and other semi autos and autos rub or sling the oil off. The warmer the metal gets the worse that is on semi auto rifles and handguns, and of course dirt.
    We don't or rather I don't get to shoot enough in one session to stress a gun much except the Hipower and ARs.
    Even so I don't like seeing the dry shiny spots and enevitable lossening.
    I'm going to try the synthetic high dollar lube I use on the mower spindles in the Marlin 60 where rubbing really shows on part of the bolt.

Resto likes this.
  5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

funny, i never needed any fancy or special oils or grease for a 1911 years ago when i was shooting informal competition shooting with them. i used just regular old RemOil back then. never once did i have a failure of any kind. never ran them wet or slick with oil. and there were occasions when we would shoot an excess of 500 rounds in an evening of shooting. i have a couple of 1911's that exceed 30K rounds that show very little wear on the slides and frame rails.

i run Mobil 1 in my AR's and have yet to have any type of failure in either of them. i can buy a quart for about $8 and have it last for a very long time.

CloverLeaf, Resto and 303tom like this.
  6. TheEvilAngel8

TheEvilAngel8 New Member

Mobil 1 motor oil? I've heard of using motor oil for an AK, but thought that was some crazy russian guy trying to design a gun that will run under any conditions. You have peaked my interest, I'm gonna have to look into this.

7. Dallas53

Mobil 1 has been used for many years now by people with AR's on the bolt carrier assembly. it's a very high grade synthetic oil that works well. several car manufacturers used to use it exclusively in their high performance vehicles from the factory. if it can protect an engine that costs several of thousands of dollars, it should seem it would work in an AR for a lubricant.

i doubt many people can put their firearms through as much stress as a high dollar high performance engine goes through!

i can pick it up at our local WalMart for about $8 a quart.

Resto, CloverLeaf and 303tom like this.
  8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I use Mobil 1 in all my vehicles, and only change it once a year, but on my guns I use Lucas !............

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    CloverLeaf and Dallas53 like this.
  9. Dallas53

some of the shops i worked in were dealers for Lucas products. the reps would always give us free samples of various new products. that was several years ago and when i started using the Lucas gun oils. it works, and it works good IMO.

is the Lucas gun oil the best? i have no idea, since i'm not a chemist or engineer, but from my personal experience, it works well at keeping my guns in operating order, it tends to stay pretty much where i put it, and it keeps them from rusting. not for sure what else i need. i used RemOil for many years, as well as 3-1 oil, but i like the Lucas better because it's a little thicker and seems to stay put a little better.

but i tend to use Mobil 1 in my AR's, and have for a few years now. it works. and i use the drippings from the oil containers after doing an oil change. i tip them up and let them drain. i get enough to keep the AR's oiled. and even if i needed to buy a quart of Mobil 1, it's only about $8 at WallyWorld, or AutoZone. that is if ran ever ran out of it.

CloverLeaf and 303tom like this.
  10. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Actually any syn motor oil works well as a gun lube. I like Rottella T-6 5-40 myself.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  11. formerCav

formerCav Active Member

I use AXLE grease cause I like the STINK!! :eek:

JimRau, Ghost1958 and tinbucket like this.
  12. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

I think it is safe to say that BreakFree CLP has cleaning properties sufficient for most gun cleaning , so you can use it to clean and lubricate . Mobil 1 or another synthetic motor oil may be a great lubricant but you might have to use a separate solvent first to clean the gun .

13. JimRau

MANY years ago I bought one of the first Colt 1911's in SS and was doing a lot of shooting. The early ones had a gulling problem between the slide and frame (wrong metal). Well I tried several different things but I finally settled on a 3 parts Breakfree and 1 part STP. I made a 4 oz bottle then and still have about 1/2 of it left. It is my go to stuff for SA's I plan to run a lot. But the T-6 works great to.

14. formerCav

formerCav Active Member

when I worked in engineering many years ago, there was a problem running a stainless steel shaft in a bronze bushing.
    We'd use a mobile brand moly-lube and that solved the problem.
    YMMV

15. Resto

Resto Member

1 qt Mobil 1 5w30, 1qt Mobil 1 Syn ATF, 1 bottle marvel mystery oil, 1 small bottle Hoppes #9. Mix, Shake. Cleans and lubes. I use this on everything but Semi Auto Pistols. My 1911s get I dot of black gunslick grease on each rail. AR gas rings get a dot too.

16. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I had read on other forums of folks using Mobile 1 and synthetic transmission fluid for lubrication on auto loaders so decided to give the Mobile 1 a try and had no issues until my first ar build. It would cycle 2 then FTF. Cleaned the bolt carrier and upper then relubed with Rem oil and it has never failed to feed since.
    Conclusion: Motor oil is for motors but the synthetic motor oil still seems like a good idea.

17. Greg_r

Greg_r Well-Known Member

I use EEZOX. Goes on wet and dries slick. I always seem to have some Hoppes gun oil and Outers grease around as well. 3 and 1 has been a staple as long as I can remember, but I seldom use it now.

I run my AR's and 1911's wet. About everything else gets oiled up and wiped down before shooting.

18. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I use CLP for cleaning and then key wear areas like slides, guide rods, bolts etc...I use Lucas oil...sometime Rem Oil...but either way, I use CLP for the cleaning portion and oil some key areas...I like Lucas products best. Seems to work well...biggest issue I have to watch for is that I have accumulated enough firearms that some aren't fired often so I have to apply some oil before shooting...Oil is a liquid and over long periods of time, gravity will make it flow.

19. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

Mobil 1 is $.25 an ounce.

20. JimRau

Just remember all, in a 'survival' situation, just use the oil on the end of the dipstick of any engine to lube your gun. That will keep it 'running'!!!;)