Oil

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by confederatemule, Mar 29, 2010.

1. confederatemule

confederatemule New Member

I have used naptha, paint stripper, acetone, heat gun, easy off oven cleaner, and starting fluid, to remove the oil from my M44 Mosin Nagant stock. The oil is still there. The oven cleaner probably worked better than anything else, but it removes whatever the stock is finished with, also.

Does anyone know of something that will remove "all" of the oil. It is mostly in the trigger area, where a nasty hand wrapped around the stock to pull the trigger. But it is fairly heavy in the general area of the magazine and bolt.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Mule.

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

tried brake cleaner???/

3. confederatemule

I've, thought about brake cleaner and the arisol carb cleaner. I even thought about Barrymans B-12.

Mule

4. doctherock

doctherock New Member

try non chlorinated first if you do use brake cleaner. carb cleaner i dont think will do it for you

5. efaz1

efaz1 New Member

It didn't get all, but I used simple green and a toothbrush, followed with a water rinse, air dried, (but I live in Arizona) then it sat in the sun for the afternoon here, aprx 140 degrees, then I did another simple green, rinse, and dry, only on the hottest days during shooting do I feel any remaining cosmoline. and a napkin is good to remove that, About once a year I take it apart to thourghly clean and I repeat a simple green and rinse/dry. 5 years and the thing still leaks a little but better than others I have seen with brake cleaner. Although we had good results at the office with a power steam cleaner, so far no remaining leaks but it hasn't gotten to summer yet, and I don't have a problem wetting wood gently, but question about high pressure steam.

6. confederatemule

I didn't know it came as "non chlorinated".

Mule

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

we have to use non-chlorinated if we dump the oil with brake cleaner in the recycled oil drum, otherwise they wont take it.

8. sheriffoconee

sheriffoconee New Member

try what I did.....(and YES, mine still leaks a tiny bit of cosmo when it gets real hot)
    Get a plastic garbage bag, fill it with cheap kitty litter, and pack the stock around the kitty litter, seal it up, and take it up to the attic for about 2-3 weeks.....take it down, check it by wiping it down and spraying it with carb cleaner...may have to send it back to the attic for another week or two....
    while you are waiting, take the bolt apart, work the action, and get it all cleaned and lubed for when the stock is ready.....

9. confederatemule

WOW! I don't think I could endure 140 degrees.

I'll probably try the Simple Green. I have thought about steam. Not from a steam cleaner, but just from boiling water.

Mule

10. confederatemule

Never thought of something like that. wouldn't Oil-Dri should do the same as kitty litter? I have oil-dri.

11. doctherock

doctherock New Member

oil eaters may work and they have an enzyme based, may be oil eaters brand, that will get rid of all the oil

12. confederatemule

13. doctherock

doctherock New Member

theres a lot more product out there, google and bing are a good starting place

14. confederatemule

I'll look.

15. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Be very careful when trying to get all of the oil out of your stock. You need to remember that this wood's pretty old and has been like this a very long time (most likely).

There are purists out there that will frown against using oven cleaner becuase they say it burns the fibers of the wood and turns it green or gray. I have used it with a lot of success.

I would not try to get it all out and end up with a brittle dry piece of wood. After all, if you are wnating to restore the finish, you're likely going to be putting ahand rubbed "oil" finish back on it.

I spray oven cleaner on mine several times over the course of several hours. How I do it is: spray down.. let soak for 30 mins to an hour... hose down with HOT water... let dry and repeat. If it all does not come out, no matter because It will be no issue when I go through the restoration process.

I've even run stocks through the dishwasher full cycle (with wifes permission of course) with no ill effects.

16. confederatemule

Well, I decided that the oil/grease stain would add character, so, I put two coats of the finish on. Then I noticed that I was using clear lacquer, not polyurethane.
    I used more E-Z Off. After this process was over and the stock was clean and dry, low and behold, there is no oil stain and it does not feel waxy. I do not know what happened.

I do appreciate the suggestions. I have made a list of them, for later reference, because I will buy more Mosin Nagants.
    Thanks to all,

Mule.

17. confederatemule

Again, my mistake.
    Most of it is gone. What is left is in other locations, and not as visible.
    I am going to go ahead and apply the Polyurethane tomorrow, at least, start tomorrow.

Mule

18. yodar

yodar New Member

Oil dri

BOTH come from the same mines in central Florida and are samey same
    '
    I suggest wrapping the troubled area in paper towels or even newspaper and putting the gun in a black terash bag and letter sit in the sun

I remember when we hadda degrease a ma Deuce we used low pressure steam. i put a neoprene fuel line on the spigot of my pressure cooker and a piece of crimped steel fuel line as a nozzle and blew steam at my SKS using a Coleman stove to heat the boiler

say goodbye to any cartouches! The Rooshian you have was originally finished with shellac and you might start by swabbing it with denatured alcohol so the oilishness wont be sealed intot he wood

yodar

19. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

Hummm, B 12? used it on an old Harley Pan Head I had some years back. It was the greatest at oil removal ( simple green was good also) leaving all the metal and chrome spot free without and residues or flim. Not a clue of wood reactions, but couldn't be worst then some of the others listed. Driving those oils out of the wood what ever method, will take multiple attemps and depending on how pourous the wood is, you may not get the darkness removed. Heat like placing it in a black plastic bag, and wipe it down with a rag repeatedly on a hot day, drives most out most of it. Not a clue of the cat litter, but it sounds like it could be a good aide to keep the driven to the surface oils from re entry back into the wood.