Ohio couple saves beaten woman

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by ScottA, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Another interesting video from Frontsight.

Pay attention to the end of the video. Many of the couple's friends didn't agree with what they did and thought they should have just left well alone.

What is wrong with people? :confused: :mad: Have we really become such a callous society that people would rather just leave a woman to be beat rather than intervene?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes. Yes we have. In this day and age it is much easier to pretend we don't see anything than to actually risk getting involved.

We had this proven recently here in the Seattle area where some girls were beating the hell out of another girl in a transit tunnel and people video taped it, but no one stepped in to help. (note: turned out the girl getting her *** kicked deserved it as she was a multiple offender and had TWO assault and robbery charges pending, but no one knew that at the time).

It has been said many times, but in a rape situation women are encouraged to yell FIRE because it will illicit a faster and more positive response.

As tango has indicated, we have a land filled with effing douches masquerading as men these days. :mad:

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

4. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

"People wondered why they got involved in the first place?" What kind of people would, given the fact that the guy was beating the "crap" out of this gal, think that you shouldn't get involved?

Great story, they probably saved her life!!

5. omegaflame

omegaflame New Member

"Character is what you do when no one's watching" or something like that.

Good way to know who the heroes are.

6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

C3, I remember that case well and I STILL don't understand how people could have heard that situation and not done anything.

7. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

It is nice to see that the police where grateful and all that jazz. I think people should in the most general way stand up for others.

8. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

This really pisses me off. Those that questioned the couple for intervining should get an a$$ woopin. The one caveat, they need there mouths sealed with duct tape because you know they would be the first and quickest to start screamin for help. I would stand there and watch for a while, eat a tub of popcorn, and then step in and end the beat down. I would then reply that I was only trying to be a good witness.

In all actuallity, if I knew someone that was against intervention was getting their a$$ kicked, I would imediately intervene. In good conscience, I might think they deserve an attitude adjustment, I dont think I could allow myself to allow them to get beat.

People that are impulsive, and usually end up in jail, say that it is easy to do bad things and just act. If I every come to a situation where I "want" do bad, no matter how little, it takes every fiber in me to force myself to do bad.

At the end of the day, I the situation above ever did arise, I would go home feeling good. And the isolationist person probably wouldnt even be thankful and say nothing. What ever happened to pride, morals, character, honor, courage, commitment, or even the resemblance of a spine???

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I don't understand how someone could not get involved. If I saw that and was unarmed I would still have gotten involved. He may very well be able to beat my butt but he's going to have to prove it before I let him beat a woman in my presence.

10. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Have you ever seen first hand what a man can do to a woman when he beats her?? Do you realize how strong you hit when you hit something? Especially when you are angry. Guess not if you have to ask a question like that.

Sorry. But deadly force or not she could have been killed from the beating. Swelling of the brain, internal damage, etc.

How old were the couple that stopped the man, were they smaller then him? They did what they had to do stop him. I would do no less in there place.

11. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

We can what if this all we want. He could have or should have done this or that. Everyone is going to react to the same situation differently. He did what he thought was right. I am 6' 1" about 300lbs and am not someone many people would mess with. I have a different view on different things because of my size and strength, plus all of the different training I have had over the years, military and civilian course that I have attended.

Not everyone is going to want to spend the money to attend class for CPR/EMT much less a class like Thunder Ranch or Gunsite. Knowledge and experience play a big part in how people react, so does the way you were raised.

Either way they did what they thought they had to do to stop him. If you ever get a chance look up USE Carry or National Gun Rights and read about some of the other instance where a weapon was used to stop a crime.

ANYWAYS. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

12. ScottA

"What ifs..." make us think. In that respect, they can be very useful.

So with that in mind, change the situation.

You have been backed into a corner by a larger and stronger assailant. He is beating on you relentlessly. You pull your weapon, whether or not you fire your weapon isn't important to the situation; but in one way or the other, your weapon ends the fight.

Firearm laws generally recognize defense of self or others. I would submit there is no reason not to justify the use of the weapon in that situation. Likewise, defense of another in a similar situation seems reasonable. So what would be the difference between the two situations?

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

the human hand really is a for real no joke deadly weapon. people are killed all the time by getting struck in the head by the human hand. the reason modern boxers wear gloves today, they used to not wear them, is that people die frequently from blows to the head.

just yesterday a 67 year old man was punched and later died. a burger king worker killed him. there are numerous examples of this.

someone raises a fist that is deadly force. so yes anyone is justified to respond in kind to a raised fist in an attempt to strike.

14. ScottA

I have listened to a number of nationally known experts who would disagree with you.

15. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

Armedanrdy,

I think you need to stop being a back yard lawyer and telling people to “study” the law. That will not clear up much when trying to second guess the actions of another. Let me use your example of you being beaten in a fight. If you pull the weapon you better be prepared to use it period. You don’t pull it as you say as a “magic wand” and if you do then you should not be carrying a weapon. HOWEVER, if you feel that your life is threatened by the beating and you pull your weapon and cap the guy you are in the right by “I was in fear for my life”. Now you need to be able to articulate why you were in fear of your life. You don’t know what was happening other than the reported beating. You don’t know if they guy was 6 foot 4 inches, 300 pounds and was using full fist and kicks in the beating (I have seen this). The woman could have been 5 foot tall and 90 pounds wet and could not defend herself. Would pulling a gun on this guy be appropriate.. sure. As for the statement about arresting the couple for pulling their weapons when someone was being beaten, well no LEO worth his salt would even consider that.

Scubie

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I would have to refer to that old saying about "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" and expand it to include "or having to be one of the 6".

CYA is great, up to the point somebody might get killed, IMO.

Further, if you have to shoot somebody to save your own life, there shouldn't be anybody left to dispute your version of events, given decent shot placement.

17. gunsavy

gunsavy New Member

I'm glad they helped the woman out. I have female family members who are victims of domestic abuse. Lets remember people we are on a forum for( gun owners). How many of you would get involved if you weren't armed. Would they have got involved if they weren't armed. This story had a happy ending but many don't . A guy i went to college with was killed trying to defuse a domestic dispute he was killed by the woman he was helping. That like many other situations made a turn for the worse. It's sad to say but sometimes LEO's don't get involved or even show up to domestic calls, especially if its the same address. Oh yeah i saved this part of the story for all the gun toting superheros we have on this forum. The women was his own SISTER. That could have went either way the couple is lucky they weren't arrested and I'll bet the officer or someone in that department read them the riot act and just didn't talk about it.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I LOL'd. :D I don't think Scubie has to have a CCW due to his job. I do think he has to have, at least, a passing familiarity with the penal code.

I hear Boxing Day is a holiday in Canada.

19. Smokin

Smokin New Member

It is really frustrating to see a couple of posts questioning a situation where a couple of caring individuals has saved a women from a bareknuckle beating. Get over it -- it is fantastic when people have the courage and wherewithal to stand up for the well-being of themselves and their fellow citizens.

20. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. :cool:

I CC and the gun would be the very last thing I pull for defense. On observation of the incident, after a call to 911, you would think the husband would have stepped in and curtailed the beating situation, but if the guy continued to be violent or started assaulting the husband, the wife could have drawn her weapon, they were both CCing. [​IMG]

Just saying....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.