Oh my, Marlin 99M1, be my wife.

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by SoL, Jan 11, 2011.

1. SoL

SoL New Member

I just found one of these on a local auction.

It is great!!!!
    Works like a marlin, feels like a mini m1 carbine.
    Perfect for my ladygirl.
    Tube mag is something new to me, but i quite like it :D
    This gun was inexpensive, looks great, feels great and..... looks like an m1 carbine!!
    :D:D
    Does anyone have any of their own stories or opinions about this (potentially) fine firearm?

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Is it for your wife or are you going to make it your wife? :confused:

3. SoL

SoL New Member

well it's FOR the girlfriend

but I like this rifle more than her.

4. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

I have one and have had it for many years. Great little rifle. Basically a Mod. 60 with different furniture.

Jim........

5. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

Just got one within the past few months myself. A lot of fun! I was drawn to the looks as well. I kind of wish I had found the box magazine version instead of the tube fed one.. but it is still a nice looking little rifle.

I stuck a Simmons Mag scope on it- made for rimfires. It is holding up great.

See this thread about some mechanical issues with mine: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/bad-22-ammo-malfunctioning-gun-33321/

Forgot to ask- do you have the rear sight for yours? Because it slides on the dovetail rail most of them have been lost. I don't have it so I had to scope mine.

6. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

99M1's are basically short-mag-tube Marlin 60's (old style) with a walnut M-1 style stock w/ handguard.

A J&P spring kit, new buffer, and a methodical cleaning of the action & polishing of the bolt
    & slide rails will lead to another 50 years of service :D

7. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

I love my 99M1 too, and shoot it a lot more often than the Model 60SB I have. It's a great little 'bunny blaster', so light and handy. Tried a scope on it, but I actually prefer the open sights - many 99M1's are missing their scope-groove-mounted rear sights, but I got lucky.

8. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Within a few months a biz I test gunparts for hopes to start making Aluminium Reproductions of those sights...
    they're working out the legals with Marlin (takes FOREVER)...

Kinda funny, the CAD/CAM stuff took less time to perfect than the approval...LOL

9. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Hehehe..... that's the legal world for you! :rolleyes: