Oh man dillemas indeed

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 408essj, Dec 10, 2012.

1. 408essj

408essj New Member

Mossberg 500 or Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport

Both would just be for every 4 or so range trip just to plink around with.

I know very different but these would just be for shots and giggles .

2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

3. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

It depends,do you have a shotgun or semi- auto rifle already?

If you've already got one,get the other.

I will say this though,everybody NEEDS a 12 gauge shotgun. You want everything else.

4. 408essj

408essj New Member

I currently have neither, my only other firearm is a Glock 19.

5. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Choice's - 2 maybe 3 m&p sports or one s&w 500 depending on model. Sport right around 600 dollars + or -

Price of ammo ? sw500 - 50 rounds for 225 to 250 dollars . 223/5.56 - 500 to 1000 rounds for the same money
    Rounds fired at the range before you know longer want to shoot the firearms. 500, 5 to 20 maybe?
    Rounds fired in a fun day at the range. As many as your wallet can stand but atleast a few box's

If you want a big bore pistol to throw money at atleast get the 44 mag or 460 so you can shoot easier on the shooter 45lc and 454 cassul and still enjoy it shooting it.

That M&P sport will also allow you to learn accurate rifle shooting skills , some long range training and is very capible of sub-moa groups .

Or you could buy a truely fine shooeter in a Anshultz .22 match rifle . Learn how to become a rifleman that you will want to still shoot in 50 years and have a jewel to pass along to family one day. You will also have just as many people standing around watching you shoot 1/2" 100 yards groups .

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  6. 408essj

408essj New Member

Just got a price quote at a LGS for the mp 15 for $750 before taxes and fees and around $850 walk out price.. Is that about right? Btw I'm in Cali,
    The wife is pushing me towards the mossberg but something about the AR that gets me goin.

7. Squawk

Squawk New Member

This......

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

750.00??? For a couple range sessions. Your nuts.

Hardluk1. A Mossberg 500 is not a S&W .50, it is a shotgun.
    I can't beleive I am saying this, but buy a 500 and a Mini 14. Look for both used, You can save a bunch of cash and have 2 guns. I'm Looking for a Mini14, one priced right.

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Now in my value system, everyone NEEDS an AR. A shotgun is necessary but not sufficient.:D:D:D

10. orangello

orangello New Member

Mossberg combo with the 18.5" home defense barrel and the longer hunting barrel.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

408essj $750 is higher than retail. M&P sports retail is $739.oo. The sports around here are $ 625, a few dollars more in other areas. You may want to try see about online buy and ship to a local ffl if any are around.

Grab-A-Gun is out of stock but check them as prices are very good for a on line dealer. Guess AR's are hot again.

12. 2tone0311

2tone0311 New Member

Thank Obama on that one

13. longunner

longunner New Member

Get the 500 if you don't already have a shotgun shooting trap and or skeet is much more fun than shooting paper or even steel. On the other hand there's really nothing like shooting an AR!!

14. 408essj

408essj New Member

I'm not rich or It come along each week for my weekly range session.. It's gonna have to be limited to every 3-4 sessions.

Both seem so enticing..
    If I get a mossy it's gonna need to be as sexy as the ar, new stock and stuff.... Hmmmmmm decisions are brutal!

15. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

In my little world a shotgun can do many things,a AR does one thing.

The shear versatility and destructive power of the shotgun make it the first gun I suggest a new gun owner buy. They are simple enough to operate,can be used to hunt large game,small game,and waterfowl. Can be used to skeet and trap shoot for a past time,and is the ideal gun to pull Home Defense duty whenever its not being used to do one of those things.

I'm also a fan of modern sporting rifles such as an AR or AK's. and while an AR can take small to medium sized game,and the AK can stretch to Large game hunting. They are only suitable for those things,when not sitting in the closet,waiting for such a time when you may need them for two legged game. Most people have no use for them besides this,as they are not usually suitable for any type of home defense unless you are sitting on a lot of land.

I don't mention uses for plinking because every gun is good for that lol.

EVERYONE NEEDS a 12 gauge shotgun.

16. 408essj

408essj New Member

Very good input guys, I appreciate all your replies.
    So hard to decide, the wife is allowing one more gun purchase for a few months so that's why I'm torn on just one.
    If the boss lady would sign off on both this wouldn't be a question.

Thanks again

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Gotta disagree J.

An AR loaded with 55 grain Hornady TAP is like, totally awesome man.:D And less penetration than a 12 ga slug.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

If you were into squirrel hunting, the choice would be simpler; you would need that .22 to keep more metal out of the meat.
    ;)

19. 408essj

408essj New Member

.22 isn't in option
    The s&w sport 15 is a 223. 5.56

20. orangello

orangello New Member

Meh, 40 grains or 55 grains, it still rounds down to a .22 caliber, just one with a longer reach than .22LR and a higher price tag. Of course, many people do loooooove that fried tree rat with some dumplins.
    :p