Oh, How Times Have Changed

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by boomenshutzen, Oct 13, 2011.

1. boomenshutzen

boomenshutzen New Member

They just don't make 'em like they used to. Gun safety class at a public school? I grew up in the wrong era.

Photos

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Interesting...Very interesting........

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I just find it so funny that almost all of those little boys have eyes bugged out and mouths open!! We should still do this. It would be a great way to get fathers involved too.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

Agreed! With the "hunter's safety course" requirement for hunting licenses, i can't see any realistic justification not to have this as part of the P.E.-type classes. As far as safety well, ask my drivers' education instructor how safe he felt; i could do as much damage with the DE car as with a bolt-action rimfire, particularly under supervision.

Big LOL at the cross-eye dominant poser.

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I always(except 1 year) taught the gun safety class at a public school. It was not during the regular school hours though. In MN.

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I wish they had done that at my school. Luckily, Most of the schools I went to were country schools and everyone there hunted so I didn't have to deal with any anti gun crap. Thank God for the country where BS liberal policies have no place.

7. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

It should be taught like shop (which most schools are doing away with, costs and liability I've been told) as they are tools that need instruction.

When I was in shop one of the kids using the band saw cut off the tip of his finger (he was the safety officer too). I don't think anyone got sued but no one else lost a finger that year.

8. bkt

bkt New Member

It really should be taught. The private school I went to allowed kids to bring in firearms to show. No harm was ever done and no one ever intended to do any harm. Knives were common - everyone was showing off their latest acquisitions. I'm 46 - we are one generation removed from the "good ol' days".

My son went to the same private school I did, and one day I was speaking to the headmaster and offered to teach an after-school class on firearms safety and shooting for students in middle and upper school at a nearby range. He treated me like a homicidal maniac. I ended up pulling my son out of that school. Times change, places change, people do dumb things. 'Twas ever thus.

9. steve666

steve666 New Member

What do you expect? It is the great State of Indiana after all, the only state to have a LIFETIME Handgun License!!!
    [​IMG]

10. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

In Arizona, you don't need a license:p

11. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

i was thinking the same, but more like "the pledge of allegiance" ;)

12. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

When I went to school, in rural N. Florida (graduated in '70) No one gave it a second thought for a kid to bring a shotgun to school, on the bus, when he was going dove hunting after school with a friend. You would take you gun to the office and pick it up after school. I never knew anyone who anyone who was shot by accident, or for that matter with intent.

There was nothing majic about guns, they were tools. Guns were kept in racks in the home or in unlocked trucks. I never knew anyone who had a gun safe and had never seen, or hear of, a gun lock. Kids knew that if the messed with a firearm without permission there would be hell to pay. Usually by the age of 12 most kids had permission to hunt squirrels or rabbits with either .22 rifles or shotguns, without adult supervision.

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

They tried to start that here in AZ, but parents got all upset...

I think it would be a good thing to teach gun safety.... Ive always grown up with a gun, and have been taught that they must be treated with respect...

Ive seen how many young people handle guns, and its because most just dont know. It seems that some think of guns as toys, and others wont touch them because there "evil people killers"

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Here's the thing I don't understand about those pansy parents. Even if you don't want your kids to be around guns, and don't want guns in your home, is there anything wrong with them knowing how to be safe if they ever do end up in close proximity to a firearm?

I have a friend (more of an acquaintance really) who didn't get his driver's license until he was 28. His still took driver's ed in high school.

There's nothing wrong with keeping your bases covered. I think that a kid who knows nothing about firearms and firearms safety would possible be more likely to play around with one and do something stupid, than the kid who at least knows a little bit about the subject, even if it is just a one day class offered at the local elementary school.