oh boy...not sure about this build...

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Broke124, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Guys I just got my lower parts kit in, and I'm thinking that I am going to have to get some sort of directions or video or something. No way I can just figure this out...any advice...I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know there are many experienced AR builders here. They'll come to your rescue. Also, I bet there are a LOT of Youtube videos to help. Don't get frustrated. I think when you break it down piece by piece it won't be so overwhelming.

I can't wait to see the finished product.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Do not be overwhelmed!! Check youtube.

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Do not become discouraged! We are here to help! All you have to do is ask or PM us. You will find the lower is fairly simple when you proceed. We can guide you through the entire process. Also check out some of our previous threads concerning building a lower receiver! We use to have a designation by our titles advising who were builders and experienced here on the site but do not at present. So just ask!;)

5. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Check the Stickies at the top of this section. JD (Dillinger) did a pretty good write up on how to build a lower receiver. Also, there is a lot of good stuff on You Tube.

6. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

For starters you will find two small detents sometimes they have a gold cast to them and should have a point on at least one end, Some have points on both ends. The point always contacts the track in the Take Down or Pivot Pin. They are for your take down and pivot pins. They are accompanied by two slim springs around 3/4 of an inch long and are fairly flimsy when flipped with your finger. They are both for the take down and pivot pin. There is another harder spring that looks very similar to the take down and pivot pin but it is *stiffer when flipped with your finger. It and the Bullet Shaped Detent are for your Safety Selector Lever. The little Bolt Catch Plunger that is round on the end with a short spring that has the *same size coils on both ends is for your Bolt Catch. The tail shaft of the Plunger goes into the spring and the spring goes in the Bolt Catch Plunger hole first followed by the It also has a small roll pin that fits the size of the hole on the receiver where the Bolt Catch goes. *Trick! Start the Roll Pin into the receiver slightly before inserting the Bolt Catch Spring and Plunger. The short spring that has one coil *larger on one end than the other is for the Discinnector, The Large Coil on this Disconnector Spring goes down into the recess on the trigger and snaps into place (Retained) and the window in the bottom of the Disconnector sets on top of the Disconnector Spring. Other than getting the hammer spring correctly installed and the proper engagement with the Buffer Retainer and Extension Tube if you have a collapsible stock that is pretty much all there is to it that might be frustrating. And we can assist you with that when you get to it. Let us know!

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

It's not that hard, you can do it. Here's a couple of links to some Youtube instructional videos I found helpful:

Part 1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w&feature=related]Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Part 2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M&NR=1]Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 2 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Here also is a link to some good and detailed instructions with pictures on how to do it.:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

The only real tricky part is the front detent pin and the bolt catch pin. Take your time and go slow. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  8. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

ahahaha, bring over a six pack, I'll help you sort it out!

first things first.

Find a checklist and make sure you have all your parts.

After that, just watch those vids above and have at it, really man, its not hards. Just one step at a time.

9. hddave

hddave New Member

Built my 1st AR using the guide on AR15.com, A small hammer and a couple of pin punches and an armorers wrench. The thing went together without a hitch.You can do the same.

10. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

So where's this guide at on ar15.com? All I see are a bunch of threads and forums...

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

11. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Nevermind...got it.

12. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

If you look at the bottom of thread a couple up from here I give you the link to click on that will take you to the AR-15 page with the detailed instructions for assembling the lower.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

And dont' forget JD's sticky above on building a lower... Don't worry, it's easy enough. Just take your time and think it out. You'll be a member of the club very soon. The AR builders club!

14. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Broke;

Take a deep breath. The info you have is pretty good. The illiustrated how-to is good. Brownells also has a series of free videos online that do a good job.
    Some things to keep in mind:

The order is important so follow the directions as written unless you like undoing things you have already done.

Separate all the subassembly parts so that all the correct pins, springs and detents are together. Many appear similar but have subtle differences.

Speaking of detents, those buggers can fly so take care when you install them. The pivot pin detent and the bolt catch pin are a biatch so be patient.

Masking tape helps protect your lower from unwanted scratches. Duct tape covered plier jaws can squeeze a lightly oiled pin in place if you lack the correct punch and mallet.

Last and certainly not least be sure to support the ears for the trigger guard...they can be bent and snap off.

Most off all read the build stickies as others have suggested. Better to see where others have had problems and found a solution than to suffer alone, and have fun. When it's done the bragging rights and feelings of accomplishment are 100% yours. :)

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Brownells has free videos on their site. Thats what I used the first time.

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Same here, for my first build I used the Brownells videos. And they have PDFs you can print out if not near an LCD.

One caveat, Brownells instruction pushes tools that they sell. No doubt this makes the job easier and are recommended if you plan to do many lower builds. But for one build you can get by with common tools in the garage, like using Vise Grips to press in the roll pins (I believe that's explained on AR15.com).

17. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Do I really need "roll pin punches" ? Or can I just use a regular punch set?.

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

You can but you gotta be a lot more careful tho......

19. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I used some regular punches and got by ok on my AR lower, but if I was going to ever do another one I'd get the set of roll-pin punches.

20. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

What can happen with regular punches?