Firearms Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im an avid hunter and i get pretty stir crazy in the off season! So i was wondering if any of u gys have any diy gear that could become my new projects?

·
Banned
11,006 Posts
I build tree stands for my friends. I also set up bow shoots for my friends......kinda like the realtree guys do in their movies. Rifle shootin contests w 22s amd such work well too.

·
Banned
6,618 Posts
If I was missing hunting very badly I would go to state that still has an open season. Here in NC the season is open until Jan 1. States further south have seasons that last into Feb. I am done hunting here in NC.

I feed deer year round as long as corn prices remain low. I am sure they will come up with something else to feed deer if corn gets to expensive. We are already seeing peanuts in feed and hardware stores.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Depends. Some of the "off season" offers good waterfowl and/or small game hunting and I like to capitalize on as much of that as I can.

I, like others, like to play with new loads. This year I've got a new .44 Mag revolver for which I need to try to make something special and my loads for my 7-08 Rem and .243 Win both need some tweaking as I'm sure there's a little more accuracy to be found with both of those rifles.

In the dead of winter when it's just too cold to be outside I like to sew up new leather bags and quivers or fletch up batches of arrows for my longbow. I made a full-size leather lumbar pack complete with lap belt and shoulder harness last year that turned out really nice and I never tire of adding new arrows to the collection. Last year I also made up a set with green shafts and green and orange shield-cut feathers that matches a green w/rust-lined wool cloak that I use for SCA purposes.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I didn`t know there was an off season. :rolleyes: I start early summer with groundhog and squirrel season comes in before them go in their hole to stay. Befor that`s over there is deer season and after that there is always coyote. What off season.:confused:

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
This is the DIY thing I have been doing. Hand made all the cabinets and put down the 18 inch porcelin tile. That 18 inch tile is much harder work than I ever thought it would be.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Hey Webley...that looks like a full time job right there. That is something to be proud of though!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I hunt coyotes after deer season a local shop promotes a hunt contest. I just found a good place to hog hunt yesterday, lots of sign, they have worked up the hillside and there is a pond close by.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Right now, my dad and i cant find a lease to hunt deer at because my dads good friend sold his. I want to get out on my land with my .22 and get some squirel. No closed season and no limit in my county :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts