OFFICIAL Bible study thread

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by MobileMarine, Nov 20, 2014.

1. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Thread for discussing all things in the Bible in hope that we may learn from one another what God has taught us individually so that we may do his will and better spread his love and word .
    I think we have enough here to get this thread going and God willing bring some more in to it .

Since we all can relate to this topic , I want to start with pain and suffering and if there is a God why does he let it happen . This is a question everyone has wondered at some point in their life , both devote Christians and Atheist and everything in between .

I have learned not to question anything that happens anymore , no matter how horrible it may seem . No its not a easy thing to do but what else are you going to do about it ?
    Ravi does a good job of explaining it .

http://www.rzim.org/a-slice-of-infinity/god-and-pain-2/

2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Well I wonder,
    how much suffering should a man have to endure
    I am referring to a posting I saw on Facebook about the man
    whose wife died giving birth,
    and he was shown singing to his baby, in an incubator,
    who was dying.
    I could watch a few seconds before turning it off.
    What was GOD thinking??

3. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

God was probably thinking that the mans soul mate and child passing would make him a stronger and better person?

4. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

This is one I try to avoid, too many pitfalls. The Biblical answer is God gave man a choice but man disobeyed. All the suffering and death is a result of mans sin and the only thing that can correct that was God coming as a man and allowing Himself to be killed by man to correct mans sin. He paid the ultimate price for our disobedience, it really is that simple. The theory of it being a test of mans love of God is false, man has proven he hates God and the Scriptures speak of this. It is really a story of Gods love for man and because He gave us the choice He had to pay the price for our choice. That said, I'm not going to begin to philosophize as to why to begin with.

5. TLuker

TLuker New Member

That's really close to my beliefs on the matter.

We exist in a natural world and are subject to the laws of our world. Death and suffering are a part of that world but how much death and suffering is partly up to us along with how much enjoyment we have. We can choose to follow the scriptures and enjoy all the blessing that God has given us or we can choose to ignore the scriptures and make our lives hell, and there are many many examples of those choices. War or peace is a human choice. If everyone followed Jesus' teaching there would be no war but so many choose not to. God blessed us with so many varieties of natural foods that nourish and heal our bodies but we choose to eat man made junk food. God intended for us to exist in families and peaceful communities so that we could support and comfort each other, but so many have abandoned the concept of family and all the comfort and support that comes with it. And so many have abandoned Christianity that many communities are no longer peaceful.

Life is hard and that is not God's fault. It goes back to the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and truthfully life wouldn't be hard without the knowledge and self awareness we posses. But we do posses it and we are all subject to the natural laws of this world. Those laws are harsh and unyielding, but so many times we make our world much harsher and we abandon the comfort of God and all his blessings. Maybe we should look to ourselves and all we do before we start questioning God?

6. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

I look at it like this , just who are we to question him , about anything that happens ?
    Isaiah 40:26
    Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars? He brings them out like an army, one after another, calling each by its name. Because of his great power and incomparable strength, not a single one is missing.

Out of my moms 3 sisters and 1 brother , only the youngest sister is the only other one to have a kid . The rest are much older and no kids . Why did she , the one with 2 kids and grandkids on the way , have to be the one to get cancer and die ? Why could it had not been one of the others with much less to lose ?
    Well , I never asked God why it all went that way , not my place to ask , dont want to know and not sure even if I did know if I would understand it fully .
    What I do know is the results of her illness and death .
    I would not have gotten married when I did
    I would not have kids right now
    I would not have the view on life as I do right now
    Those are just 3 out of many many outcomes , all positive .

Once you realize that you own nothing you will be much better off .
    My family , is not really my family , they are simply people God has blessed me with , he may take them at anytime he chooses for what ever reason he chooses , me may do the same to me . Everything belongs to him including us.

You may ask why the good die young . I see it as they deserve better than this earth has to offer . The sinners and bad people are left here , maybe to suffer for our sins , maybe to complete his will , maybe to lead others to him , maybe to give us a chance to repent .
    Look at it as , they deserve to go to a better place

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Some time ago
    I had a debate with a guy that is supposed to know the Bible,
    and other folks that were familiar with the Bible.
    They said you should not question the Bible.
    I say you should question anything you don't understand,
    including the Bible.
    I don't question GOD.
    I don't question creation.
    Surprises me that some get very upset when I ask about life "out there"
    Ok, I accept that GOD created life here.
    Why, I ask, would he not create life elsewhere?
    Why just here?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  8. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

Dont like to question the bible but I do have questions about it which is why i wanted to start a study thread .

I think there is other life out there .
    Look at this and say there is NO WAY there is other life of SOME kind at least
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/the-universe-is-scary

9. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Excellent points.

When discussing religion with hard core biblical fundamentalists, I often wonder whether they really worship a Diety, or it they worship a book.

Some will say that you can't believe in God and still believe science. I say why not?? Scripture tells us what God did. Science tries to discover how He did it. There really isn't any conflict between the Big Bang Theory, and the Scriptural story of Creation.

10. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

If an idea, a theory, a proposal or a religion can not stand up to question, how can you devote your life to it?

I believe we have it backwards; I believe that man created God in his own image, and has done it thousands of times throughout our history. If I am wrong, and man was, indeed, created in God's image, we have a very imperfect God.

11. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Man was given free will. If man strays from the path of righteousness, it is not God's fault.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I should put this in the "pet peeve" thread but it needs to be seen here. When referring to the Bible, God, Jesus...even referring to God, Jesus as Him........capital letters should be used to show respect. :cool:

God is not just him..........He's Him........

13. TankTop

Your first part, go ahead and question Him, He can handle it.

To the second part, you are 100% correct this is what all religions as well as many Christians do. While it's true we are made in His image and likeness, He is not made in ours, there is a huge difference. Unfortunately we have a very difficult time coming to terms with this so we try to fit Him in a box, many times we don't like the box so we make a new box. Let me share a secret, true repentance is simply accepting who He is. When Jesus showed up He turned the religious world on its head, then said, "repent, the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand", or, look dummies I'm standing right in front of you. Then He went on to demonstrate who He is, 3 1/2 years of show and tell. Repentance is coming to terms with the image of God, or viewing Him as He is, not who we want to see. When we begin to see who He is and repent of who we think He is we begin to see who He made us to be and we pull our heads out and start acting right. Unfortunately this takes a lifetime to come to terms with who He is and that we were created to look like Him.

14. TLuker

TLuker New Member

And proof of that is the fact that the Big Bang Theory was created by a Catholic priest. :)

15. TankTop

What I'm baffled by is people will believe in God and creation to a point but have a hard time wrapping their heads around His ability to write a book???

16. TLuker

TLuker New Member

The only imperfect thing in nature is man, and that is only because man chooses to be imperfect. That doesn't make God any less perfect. ;)

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

CF, shocking to see you here on this thread!

Look at your own quote, you said "I believe"! That is the apex of faith, believing even if you cant see, touch or question, "you believe" (although you have no actual proof)! If you can have a belief
    , why do you find it Odd that Christians believe otherwise every day? What makes your belief wise and ours foolish. A hundred million articles have been written in support of My faith, how many brilliant people have studied your postulation?

The questions Christians have about God are all answered the day we accept "Him" into our lives. You have never done so, thats the reason your questions will never be answered, you must ask for forgiveness to receive faith. Even those that wear the cloth only have the word of god to read so they dont have enough facts to calm all of your questions, they never will either! Humans cannot answer for "God" anymore than they can answer for anything they dont have all the knowledge of.

So your wrong the second you say, "I Believe ________", then mock that which a billion people have never questioned once they include God in their daily lives. You sir could be called a hypocrite and thats exactly why your Political Party fell on its face this erection. You believe your beliefs trump all others....

18. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

One difference tween us and God is :
    Take the members of ISIS vrs the kid who stole some candy from the store .
    Both are sins to him , hands down , no debate .
    WE definitaly see them as different , He does not .
    WE can easily forgive one and condemn the other to death and hell
    HE will forgive and loves both equally
    If given the chance w/o getting killed before I could even say anything I would actually love to sit down and talk to a ISIS member and witness to him what I have seen and felt .
    EVERY SINGLE PERSON deserves that
    I can wrap my mind around how the universe was made before I could come to believe that not everyone can change and be led to God .

I have read and heard this a billion times
    Matthew 18:3

And said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

I was reading a childrens book to the kids the other night and when I got to that it hit me like a ton of bricks , I have never fully understood it till then .
    Such as a child trust their parents fully , that they will protect , care , be with them and provide for them fully we must be just like them to God .

I dont know his word that well , I am not a very good speaker , not very good at explaining things not mechanical in nature , I bind up when put on the spot sometimes but something inside of me is leading me hard to bring others to him .
    I am not at a point to do this in person yet but I pray that using this forum to possibly reach others is a baby step for me . If I spend my entire life trying and only bring one person to him , I consider that a victory .

A question I have always wondered though . Once he forgives us of our sins , I have been taught they are gone forever .
    But once we stand before him , we are to explain everything we did in our lives and answer for it .
    I reckon no one can accurately answer that w/o first hand experience so I guess I will see what others feel / think about it .

Winds , I agree with one as well , ALWAYS capital letters and I was brought up to NEVER set anything on top of the Bible .
    Although my Bible stays in the bathroom as its the only semi peaceful place to read it , sometimes I need it to help cast out the evil in me :D
    Mine is the hard to read KJV so most of the time I just pull up BibleGateway.com on my phone , you can select tons of versions to read from

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  19. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

In reality, it all boils down to this.

If you believe, no explanation is necessary. If you do not believe, no explanation is possible.

20. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Interesting thread...

I also think the post is interesting. I don't question God, I don't question creation happened (we are here aren't we ? :rolleyes:) and I don't even question the bible. why ?

Because it is just man's way of trying to interpret God. Divinely inspired or not, there is much wisdom to help...sort of like a cheat sheet for life.

I just feel God is so much bigger and far removed from what we can comprehend. sort of like trying to wrap your mind around how infinitely small we are compared to the universe...its just not fathomable by a human mind....so we dumb it down (like pictures of our solar system) to try and understand.

My belief...
    God set everything into motion. The physics of the universe both physical and spiritual. He doesn't have to answer every prayer like a "hotline" phone. Your prayers, your thoughts, your intentions, your energy is a quantum force that operates in the medium he created. That energy you put out, your intentions, your energy field operates in that spiritual physics. After all, every single molecule you see, every piece of matter was born in starlight.

Do I pray to him ? Yes, every day. I give thanks for EVERYTHING. I talk to Him. But I think I am really talking to the spirit He has made as part of our universe.

Do I read or quote the bible ? heck yeah. Some very special people were in tune with God and gave us wisdom which these writers translated for us.

Jesus? Our elder brother who showed us the way. His ultimate sacrifice was to show us that we are saved, we are all part of that energy - not by works but by faith.

Do I struggle with the evil in the world and how does that fit in ? Well, there is light and dark matter, anti-matter, positive, negative. It seems like the dark is the push to always keep the light ahead...the ultimate goal...because to me, God is the pure light, no dark.