Officer Lovejoy is charged...

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LunchBox, Sep 5, 2007.

1. LunchBox

LunchBox New Member

Lovejoy left his police k-9, his partner in his car for more than 12 hrs last month, which resulted in the dogs death. Initially there was not going to be an investigation, however the maricopa county sheriff stepped in, and found that Lovejoy is guilty of misdemeanor animal cruelty.

I personally had a petition going for this mans prosecution.

Latest article.
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/chandler/articles/0905cr-dogcharge0906.html

2. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

I don't get how anyone could do such a thing. Being a big time dog lover (my earliest memory is of my late shar pei and his passing still affects me today) this makes me sick.

3. Quasi

Quasi New Member

What was his excuse -- he just forgot?

I'm glad your petition was effective. Hopefully he doesn't get another k-9 partner.

4. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

Isn't a Canine dog considered an officer with all of the protections that are applied to other police officers?
    Shouldn't he be considered a cop killer?
    If a non LEO had killed this Canine officer wouldn't that person be charged as if he had killed a human police officer?

Just curious.

5. LunchBox

LunchBox New Member

I am a big animal lover... We have 2 labs ourselves. When I heard about this, I was SOOOOOOOO upset. Partly because of what happend to poor Bandit, and partly because it was a police officer, and they were giving him a double standard in which we all know us laypeople would be charged.

6. cnorman18

cnorman18 New Member

Too common

I live in Dallas. We lose 3 or 4 kids every year to this kind of thing, and God knows how many dogs. The dogs don't even make the news. I suspect the only reason this case got coverage was because it was a K-9. It's tragic. They all are.

Lovejoy is an irresponsible doofus, and has no business wearing a badge or carrying a gun.

I don't think there's a solution for this recurring problem. Last year, a child was left in a van all afternoon and died from it, and it was all over the news. A few days later, there was another one.

As Ron White says, "You can't fix stupid."

7. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I'm not certain how the individual states consider K-9s as officers. In my alma mater department, a K-9 is officially an issued piece of equipment and as such, they are expendable. The reason being, sending a canine into a deadly situation is preferable to sending a human into the same situation. That being said, many state and local laws forbid anyone from harassing, annoying or injuring a police animal (includes horses) in addition to animal cruelty laws. Reading the story, it seems to be criminally negligent to keep a dog in a car for 12 hours. I don’t know if he has an explanation for his behavior. He hasn’t been heard from yet.

On another note, the above posting says, “…the maricopa county sheriff stepped in, and found that Lovejoy is guilty of misdemeanor animal cruelty.” Lovejoy isn’t guilty of anything, until a court of law says he’s guilty. As a dog owner, and knowing many police K-9 handlers, I believe Lovejoy is suffering at the loss of his partner.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  8. LunchBox

LunchBox New Member

Yup Pioneer, that was a misprint on my part.. he hasnt been found guilty YET! And his excuse was

"I FORGOT"

How someone forgets any living breathing creature is beyond me.. "I forget" Just simply dosnt cut it.

9. ARShooter

ARShooter New Member

Well should'nt he also have to pay for the cost of the dog, I know that the training for them is pretty expensive and the dog is not cheap either. If a private citizen plowed into a police car they would have to pay for the repairs, why should'nt Lovejoy have to pay for the property he destroyed?

10. LunchBox

LunchBox New Member

Well, along with his sentance, he could possibly have to pay a fine as well. Wouldnt that count as him re-paying for another K-9?

11. LEO

LEO New Member

The difference is that the dog was issued to him as department property. If he lost his gun or damaged his radio due to negligence... he has to pay for the replacement cost.

12. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Here in Indiana Police dogs are considered officers,be glad this wasn't in the Hoosier State!

13. AR Hammer

AR Hammer New Member

Yup, would have been a felony here in Indiana.

14. SheGUN

SheGUN New Member

Inexcusable, no matter which way you look at it...........:mad:

15. 97powerstroke

97powerstroke New Member

What are they going to do to him, he is a cop. He will get away with it just like the ones that go out and get drunk and then go for a drive and hit sombody. I did several ride alongs back when I was planning on becoming a cop and more then once the drunk driver that was pulled over was a cop and so he was sent on his way. As they drove off you could watch them swerving all over the place. I'm sorry, I don't have much respect for cops. I know there have to be some good ones out there but I'm still waiting to meet one that's not crooked.

16. LunchBox

LunchBox New Member

There is always going to be a few bad apples in the bunch. The ones that take their power to new extremes, the ones that think they are exempt from the law because they wear a badge.

I like to think that most cops, not all, but most, got into the profession for all the right reasons, of course I know we don't live in a perfect world. All too often you hear about corrupt figures in top positions in our society. How many of these figures get away with murder? Many it seems, on this side of the fence, but it might be a different story on the other side of the law.

17. billt

billt New Member

It's intresting to note that police have a very high rate of alcoholism due to the profession, yet have the LOWEST rate of drunk driving arrests by profession also. Typical, "do as I say, not as I do". Bill T.

18. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Lunchbox and ARShooter, I totally agree!

19. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Way off topic, but...
    Pleased to meet you, Bill T. Please do not condem the entire profession because of your very limited observation of bad behavior. I've arrested cops, for DUI, rape, child abuse, murder and corruption. One was my own police chief.

I've also seen bad behavior by clergy, government officials, scout leaders, teachers, physicians and others we are supposed to look up to. They are not ALL bad, and neither are the cops. 99% are laying their asses on the line.

I have no way of knowing where you rode along, but consider that it may be a local problem.