Officer down in the line of duty

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by zhuk, Sep 9, 2010.

1. zhuk

zhuk New Member

State mourns cop killed in drug raid

[​IMG]

September 9, 2010 - 7:14PM

Bill Crews made the ultimate sacrifice when he was gunned down during a routine drug raid.

The 26-year-old trainee detective died in a Sydney hospital a short time after midnight - the 12th cop in four decades in NSW to be shot and killed in the line of duty.

"We have lost a brother, we've lost a son, we've lost a good mate, but most important we've lost a colleague," said his mate and Police Association president Scott Weber.

Visibly shaken and obviously distressed, Mr Weber said police across NSW were mourning.

"It is so upsetting when we see one of our colleagues make the ultimate sacrifice in protecting us all."

The 26-year-old was one of eight officers from the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad carrying out a routine drug operation at an apartment block at Bankstown in Sydney's southwest.

They were fired upon outside the targeted property on Cairds Avenue about 9pm (AEST) on Wednesday, with Const Crews hit in the head and neck.

NSW Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione on Thursday paid tribute to his team, who had tried desperately to save him.

"(They) showed extraordinary bravery and composure under duress to render first aid ... while at the same time arresting several people and securing the crime scene and putting a perimeter in place," he said.

The neighbourhood was in lockdown during the three-hour siege that followed, with negotiators called in as officers wearing bulletproof vests patrolled the streets and told residents and onlookers to stay indoors.

They were supported by the air wing, dog unit and rescue unit.

Eight people were eventually taken into police custody, and two men were charged, although no drugs were found at the property.

The men were refused bail in Bankstown Local Court after one of them, Philip Nguyen, received treatment for a swollen left eye, a grazed nose and a swollen cheek bone.

The 55-year-old is facing six charges including shooting with intent to murder and discharge of a firearm with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Geehad Ghazi, 27, has been charged with possession of an unauthorised firearm.

Meanwhile, NSW parliament paused to honour the slain officer, with Premier Kristina Keneally paying tribute to the young man who gave his life while serving the community.

She recognised the suffering of his father Kelvin, who retired from the police force in 2000, his brother Ben, an officer in Sydney, his two sisters, Rebecca and Kate, and mother Sharon.

"They've lost him in the most unimaginable way, and we today as a state stand behind them in support," Ms Keneally said.

The officer's death has prompted renewed calls for the introduction of mandatory life sentences for offenders who murder police officers.

"Police go out each day, they tackle risks each day that are inherent in their job, and we owe them, we owe their families, the knowledge that the police officer if they are killed on duty, if they're murdered, there should be mandatory life sentences applied to the criminals who do it," Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell said.

The last officer killed on duty was Constable Glenn McEnally, shot dead at Hillsdale, in Sydney's southeast, in April 2002.

State mourns cop killed in drug raid

Law enforcement risk their lives daily on our behalf, but this tragic death seems to have been particularly affecting. I stopped in at a local station today to give my condolences - don't know how often police are thanked for facing the lowlife scumbags they do, but I felt it needed saying in person.

Can only hope the NSW Police Force motto holds true:

[​IMG]

Culpam Poena Premit Comes - Punishment Follows Close On Guilt

2. AusLach

AusLach New Member

This poor guy was from my home town.. I drove back this afternoon from uni and was wondering why the cop station's flag was at half mast.. I just saw the news and now I know.
    He was a good cop and a good bloke. I really hope these @rseholes get what's coming to them because they deserve the death penalty.

3. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Sh1t, really Aus? can only imagine how that would affect a country town :(

And the do-gooders have the gall to start complaining again now about 'racial profiling' as regards the Middle Eastern Organised Crime Squad. Real sensitive timing, huh.

Pity we can't take em to the top of Darlinghurst Road next to the old gaol and flog em like what used to happen in colonial days...and then hanged from a convenient yardarm.

4. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Yeah it's going to be pretty tough, he was headed home this weekend to be best man at a wedding too. I'm certainly all for Darlinghurst Road by the way...

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

More fuel for the anti gunners... like you guys don't already have it bad enough.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm saddened to hear this. May he rest in peace and may his family and friends be comforted.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

How can something like that happen with some of the most restictive gun control legislation in the world? The bad guys are not supposed to be able to get guns, right?

8. bkt

bkt New Member

I'm sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are for his family and friends.

Not to detract from the topic, but it does seem odd, given the relative restrictions on firearms in Australia, that this happened. Looking at if from the legislators' perspectives, this shouldn't have been able to happen. I anticipate more laws.

9. zhuk

zhuk New Member

You're all right. Heared the inevitable "this proves the laws must be strengthened!" rubbish already. Despite all the obvious logical stupidities which go along with that...one of the accused was arrested in possession of a CZ54, not exactly the usual sporting handgun. But as the Greens say, we all know the majority of guns used in crime come from legal owners, don't we? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Philip took drugs before allegedly killing Constable Bill Crews, court documents show | The Australian

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  10. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Zhuk,

My thoughts and prayers go out to the officer's family. I am also changing my avatar for them for the rest of the week.

11. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. He was well known and well liked in this community before he moved to Sydney and will be sorely missed. Coming from a small town, the cops know just about everyone, especially the young people.. Crews was actually the first cop to ask me for ID when I first turned 18! I'm not sure if his family will be offered a state funeral or not but if it's only a local one, I know a LARGE portion of this community will attend.

12. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

As Glass said we send our prayers to the officers family... the thin blue line just got a little thinner.

As we say here in the states when we lose an officer.

"End of watch.. rest easy brother, we will keep the peace for you"

13. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Apparently Local Area Commands across the State have been inundated with condolence calls from the public...I feel a bit proud of my countrymen today. Thanks also for the words of support and prayers here; just shows how true this saying is:

"An attack on one is an attack on all."