Office Depot conflict

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Alpha1Victor, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Ok so I was just at office Depot trying to ship off a wilson combat barrel for exchange. (Wanted a longer length ) I had the barrel packaged up ready to go but needed to print off a return slip from the Web sight.

After printing off the return slip, I told the associate I was ready to ship. She looked at the Web page and informed me office Depot doesn't ship firearms. I politely stated it wasn't a firearm and that it's a barrel. Nothing more than a chunk of metal.

She was adamant about it being a firearm. I asked to speak to a manager to clarify the rules. (I really just knew this lady didn't know what the hell she was talking about)
    So a manager comes over, I explained the situation and she asked to see what I was shipping. I showed her, and grabs it from me, quickly slams it in the box I pulled it from and told me they don't ship firearms and tells me to leave the store!

How crazy are these people!? She acted like the barrel was going to somehow shoot by itself. I will never do business with then again!

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

All too familiar. She probably believed she could get you arrested, and enjoyed the opportunity to treat someone like a bum. With impunity.

That said... Number one, glad it wasn't me. I could've flared up, then regretted it. Truth is, you have no rights. They may or may not have some obscure corporate policy. Cut to the chase, move on.

Next time, don't ship from any big box store. They are all PC $hits. Spoken with 1st hand knowledge and from the heart.

3. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Trust me when I say I'm short tempered. It took every bit of me to remain calm. I was with my family so that helped keep the hulk at bay :)

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Not worth getting upset over.

Write a LETTER to corporate headquarters.

5. Description: Machined components / steel tube / steel mechanism / machined sub-assembly for PN:1911, you can be creative without lying.

I had the Despot ship off an FAL lower with the description of "stamped steel sub-assembly" with no problems.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  6. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

NICE!! That's very gppd thinking. I'm impressed.

7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

...unless you encounter someone who is alert to "suspicious contents".

If you want to "beat the system" - go for it. Otherwise, box your stuff at home, print the label on your computer, and drop off at any location.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

For a barrel, you can also hit the Post Office for a Flat Rate Box, send Priority Mail.

And yes, you met a Dingbat. Send a nice polite letter to Corporate, outline the RUDE treatment you received. By POORLY trained staff.

9. Dakota1

Dakota1 Well-Known Member

What I was about to post. I've shipped through UPS & FedEx without any problems. I shipped my Wilson CQB through UPS & accurately described the contents: "Pistol." I also bought some insurance because I told the UPS guy it was a $2,500.00 pistol. The insurance was only around $40.00 but Wilson gave me two free mags.

Later, after I read about gun thefts with UPS, I shipped my Ruger Super Redhawk & instead of "Gun," I wrote "Machined Parts" in the description.

10. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

I'm still shocked. My wife says she assaulted me when the manager grabbed the barrel from me. I didn't notice it but I guess it could be considered that. I just don't understand what would cause such a reaction and scene. I would understand if I pulled out a pistol but damn it's just a barel. Crazy.

11. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Some people just don't know the law. Some people just don't understand company policy. There are a lot of USPS, UPS, and FedEx contractors out there that confuse themselves with the rules for different couriers. I have had storefronts refuse to accept firearms or parts too. Once I was shipping a rifle from the post office and it took two attempts and a phone call to get them to take it.
    Nobody wants to make a mistake that could cost him his job.... Even if it's a crap job, we all like to think our jobs are the best we could get.

12. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

Just some more people that wouldn't know a gun barrel from their own @sshole. like others said, send an email to corporate telling them you're taking your business elsewhere and sharing your experience on social media, that has a surprising amount of weight in this day & age

I've always used USPS when shipping gun parts, motorcycle parts, hell anything really. they've seen it all & don't bat an eye at anything. and they're usually cheaper than UPS or FedEx

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

EXACTLY! Calm down for a few days and write a nice, short, to the point, polite letter to HQ.

14. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Letters get you nowhere, but I'll do it cause they need to know when crap like this happens.

15. mseric

mseric New Member

...and that right their would be a felony as a lower or Receiver is considered a "Firearm" by the ATF.

Definition of a firearm.

https://www.atf.gov/file/55371/download

16. mseric

mseric New Member

UPS will only ship handguns via "Next Day Air". They will not accept handguns via UPS Ground. Next day air starts at about $80.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html

17. mseric

mseric New Member

As long as none of those parts are "receivers" or "frames" you will be fine. If you ship a frame or a receiver via USPS and you are not an FFL holder, you will be committing a Felony.

18. mseric

mseric New Member

Office Depot/Office Max may have company policy similar to the UPS Stores.

UPS Stores are NOT UPS. They are a completely different company and are all individually franchised owned. They have their own set of rules just like any other private business.

A UPS Store will not accept firearms of any kind for shipment, UPS will, UPS Store will not.

I was shipping a Ruger Mini back to the factory. I printed the Label at home stuck it on the box and brought it down to the local UPS Store.
    The lady at the counter read the label and said, we cannot accept this here. I said, it is perfectly legal to ship this UPS back to the manufacturer for repair. She said she didn't care, UPS Store does not accept firearms.
    I asked to speak to the manager, he came out and *****ed at me and told me, This is MY Store and I do not accept firearms or firearms parts for shipping.

I contacted UPS and asked what gives, thought it was legal and accepted by UPS to ship a firearm back to the manufacturer for repair. She confirmed that it was and told me to bring it to one of their "depots" and we will gladly take care of you. This is when she informed me that UPS Store is NOT UPS and they have their own corporate and individual franchise owner rules.

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Write it off bud. Your word against hers and her employees? She won't be charged. Be proud you didn't shove her back :yoda:

20. MobileMarine

MobileMarine New Member

only time i ever shipped a gun was a ak and like the OP I went to a store front already packaged but the Gal , who just happen to be russian caught that it was going to a gun shop . She got on a rant about how much she liked the AK and on and on but she could not ship it