"Offensive" photo of a Springfield 1911 GI Model

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Giveth, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Giveth

Giveth New Member

THIS IS REGARDING A NON-FIREARM RELATED INTERNET FORUM, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SEEM TO KEEP MISSING THAT DETAIL

Hello,

I am new here. I have been meaning to make an account here for some time; I have been using the phone app for quite a while. I have grown up with firearms all my life but just recently discovered my new found passion- handguns. Although currently at 19 years old I only own a Ruger 22/45 Target Model, which I bought at the end of August for my birthday, I am in love. The reason I got the .22 was because I wanted to do a lot of shooting, and I cannot afford to shoot anything else.

My next purchase will be a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec. Anyways, someone pushed me over the edge today and I finally decided to make an account here to talk about it. I have been quite active on other internet forums, specifically an addiction recovery forum. I recently made my avatar this beautiful Springfield GI model. It never crossed my mind that it would offend someone.

Today I received a private message, from one of the moderators, that told me

"I am sorry but you really need to remove the gun as your avatar. There are a lot of reasons but the biggest one is we got a complaint from someone who lost someone who was shot.

Thanks for understanding."

Baffled and dumbfounded, my response was:

"Only out of respect for you, I removed it. However, I will make it clear that I do not understand. Are avatars of cars allowed? I know many who were lost in a tragic car-related injuries. What if I made a complaint, that, someone I know had been killed by an alligator or crocodile?(referring to her avatar of an alligator on the beach, with a caption that said "send more tourists, last ones tasted great!") Can you seriously cater to the complaints of every individual? Someone could find a complaint about anything.
    On the flip side, I have known plenty of people who are still alive today because of a firearm.
    I understand that this is not up for discussion, and I promise you will not see me with any more firearm related avatars. I would just like to make a complaint and say that I find it very hypocritical and unreasonable for me to have to remove a photo of an inanimate object.

With all due respect."

So what do you guys think? Did I over-react? Was that a reasonable response?

I would love to hear the input of others. By the way, my bad if this is in the wrong forum.

Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving Y'all.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I find that kind of hard to believe.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Ummmmm how can anyone here have complained about an avatar of yours when the first post you have made here is one claiming a ftf moderator told you to remove your avatar....

I call bs.

4. Giveth

Giveth New Member

That makes two of us then. I was shocked. I can't wrap my mind around it.

5. Giveth

Giveth New Member

Dude, read the post. It wasn't here. I said it was another forum.

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I think you were pretty civil about how you handled that. They shouldn't have asked you to do that due to the reasons you stated, but there is not much you could do about it since it is a forum.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

Why complain here. Complaining about other forums is a little tacky. Your welcome to make a fresh start here :)

8. vincent

vincent New Member

In the grand scheme of things...does it really matter? Pick your battles

9. Giveth

Giveth New Member

It's not necessarily a complaint regarding the other forum. I love the other forum. The complaint is about the fact someone actually made me remove a photo of a gun because they found it offensive. And I am not necessarily complaining, it is more like ranting...

10. Giveth

Giveth New Member

I mean not really... I just found it odd... felt like it would be something to talk about... but I might as well just delete this post

11. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

We're good at ranting on FTF.:D

I see this as being like a store telling you that you cannot carry concealed. You can either not go in the store, or leave your gun in the car. Not much you can do about it.

12. lonewolf101

lonewolf101 New Member

I have not gotten any PM's about the cast bullets I have .

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i think im gonna complain. dont want you feeling left out

14. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Then I'll complain about yours as well!
    I mean, I've heard about "Donkey Shows", but leaving the woman out is,well...............just totally wrong!:eek:

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Sorry jon but he has a good point. Just joking mon ami

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

LOL!!

i would add a pic of mrs obama but her *** is too fat to fit in the pixel limits...

17. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Sometimes I wonder about you guys.

18. boomstix

boomstix New Member

A lot of forums have rules... It makes as much sense as a forum banning images of nudity but allowing some pretty nasty war/ drug war images... It's just our society where we allow violence on TV but not sex.

19. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Let's see that Ruger 22/45 Target Model.

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I think it would make a heck of a nice walking shelf.