Off the shelf config hunt

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by tCan, Apr 30, 2013.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

I've been looking for an off the shelf configuration, A2 type handguard/gasblock setup, removable A2 style carry handle included, collapsible/adjustable stock, 20 inch medium profile barrel with muzzle device 1-1.5 MOA. If it comes in 6.8 or 6.5, I figure that's about the last rifle a person could ever need.

Like this except with a collapsible stock.
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/A3-CLASSIC_ep_105-1.html

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

depends on how far you are shooting as to what cartridge I would choose 6.8 spc shorter range out to 200-300 max , the 6.5 grendel , waaaayyyyyy out there. :D

3. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

I'd also add that a 6.8 spc should really never come in 20" Not enough powder to warrant that long a barrel. 16" is perfect. The 6.8 shines ballistically the shorter the barrel gets. It was developed specifically for SBRs as the 5.56 doesn't do so well in ballistically with stumpy barrels.

The 6.5 Grendel does much better the longer the barrel gets, MINUMUM 18" really nice at 24". BUT it really only should be considered if you reload. Its capable of consistent 1k yard shots. *edit* The Grendel probably won't have much punch beyond 400 yards if you are planning on hunting with it tho.

Question is, what do you plan on doing with it and at what ranges?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  4. tCan

tCan Active Member

Looking at it as an everything rifle. Varmint, deer, long range plinker, defensive carbine.

5. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Most will not agree, but a .223 will do all of the above. Of course that depends on what you consider long range.

.308 might be better. But it is overkill as a defensive carbine. Very good chance of going places you don't want it to in a home defense situation.

6. tCan

tCan Active Member

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  7. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Honestly here's what you should do.

Get a standard 5.56 upper. Enjoy it for a while. Then when you are ready get a 6.8 or 6.5 upper for it. Don't need to buy a complete rifle just a complete upper half.

then you can enjoy the best of both worlds.