Off Road Junkies

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Papa_Woody, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

Any four-by enthusiasts? It seems most off roaders I run across are often gun enthusiasts, or at least owners and shooters, and I'm just wondering how many lurk among this forum. Seems like as good a place as any to share info on places to shoot, offroad and maybe spread some pictures of the rigs. I know a few good spots in southern california If anyone cares.

2. hmh

hmh New Member

Have been until my last took a swim. Now waiting on funds. Last was a 87 4 runner with 22re

3. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

4. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I gots me a '73 Scout

5. VitSports6

VitSports6 New Member

Coupl-a Land Cruisers

6. gnatlee

gnatlee New Member

We have a '98 Jeep Wrangler TJ. Seems like every place has a locked gate here in Oregon any more.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my 4x4 is a Dodge Ram 1500 Q/C with a mild lift and 33" tires. goes anywhere i will ever need to go. slowly building it into a hunting truck with rear compartments in the bed for rifle storage and all my hunting gear. finally got the camper shell put on it last month.

8. Sniper75

Sniper75 New Member

Tell me more about these trails I am down here in Camp Pendleton.

9. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

I guess I should have posted a picture to get things going.

Off the 15 and also off the 74 is a place that runs the top of Cleveland national forest. Indian Truck Trail is the exit off the 15, that would be going north for you. pretty moderate with some technical break off trails.

If you keep going north passed Barstow a few miles to Ft Irwin there is an area behind Calico Ghost Town that you can camp shoot and four by as well as explore the mineshafts ( dangerous, don't do it...) it's all car passable on the 'main' road with a ton of dirtbike and jeep stuff surrounding it

89 Cherokee 2door sport. In progress project. Daily driver for me but very capable and serves as my BOB, Always ready with enough supplies to sustain 2 adults for a week. 5 SPD 4.0 mild lift mild tires with killer gas mileage! Don't know the mpg exactly, but I sure don't complain. Gets me well out of civilization,

Attached Files:

10. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

Beautiful Beast. Me and the misses have been dreaming of one for a while now. Bought my jeep because it was ( supposed to be) less of a project. I want one with a 360...

11. zedpapa

zedpapa Member Supporter

I have an 89 cherokee 2dr that I have slowly built/building(its a jeep, its never done). Has the the 4.0 with a 5spd, currently 2x but can be 4x4 with a tranny swap. Its in mileage-mode right now as its loaned to my bro-in-law in exchange for him loaning me his lathe and mill to use and keep in my garage. I have done a lot to the jeep despite its appearance. All the mods have been done to the stuff you don't really see. 2002 engine, 1998 trans, custom cooling system, newer front/rear axle, 4 wheel disc brakes with newer booster, 2002 grand cherokee front brakes/steering, and a whole lot more. There is a lot more that I plan to do to it as time and funds allow. Since I do all my own work, funds come easier. I just need to decide what to do next.

Brian

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I have a '46 Jeep, '71 F-100 and a '73 Bronco. The Bronco has been over the Rubicon Trail. My son is building up a '90 Bronco right now for his first ride. I had it sitting around and I wasn't doing anything with it so I gave it to him to play with.

13. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I was at Camp Pendleton back in 1985. Back then we used to go out on the fire break that was on the way up to Lake Wolford. I was out that way a few years ago and there was a gate at the front entrance. Never checked the rear entrance. There was a pond with a hill where people used to target practice. A few jack rabbits met there demise at the hand of my model 60 back on those dirt roads.

14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I take my 1992 F-150 (I-6, 5 speed, 2wd, locking rear diff.) down trails that most of my buddies won't run their 4X4s on. Needless to say very agressive tires and full recovery gear are with the truck at all times. My wife is a bigger off-road nut than I am. She takes her 1992 ford exploder on the trails on my one friend's farm everytime we go out there. Also to the campsite and her favorite fishing holes. That thing spends more time in 4high\low than it does in 2 high. To pre scout the trails, we trailer our atvs out and run them first because they are much easier to get unstuck. I am in the process of getting the next toy ready for our use, a 1991 chevy K2500. That way when the exploder finally dies, we can trailer it home. The chevy will also be our hunting and snow removal (if we finally get any!) vehicle.

Thanks for the mention of So-Cal trails. Brings back memories of off-roading with dad when he was stationed at 29 Palms!:D

15. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

My dad always took us wheelin' as kids. He had a 1970 CJ5 and a 1976 CJ7. I had a 1998 Trooper, 2004 F150 FX4, and now a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

This was mine that I bought off of a farmer for $200 it was in bad bad shape , motor locked up amongst other things like no interior at all , it had a trencher mounted on the back that the guy had used for 20 yrs to put field tile in with , not to mention is was buried to the axles in dirt it had sat so long , there was 4" of dirt in the floor boards , I had just put the motor in it in these pics , cage wasnt welded in yet but it was a 51 Willys CJ3A, 6" spring over , 385 hp SB Chevy , turbo 350 tranny , 35" BFG mudders, 8000# ramsey winch , and to top it off 5:38 front and rear gears she topped out about 45 mph . Sold it 5 yrs ago due to no place close to 4 wheel and to help fund my new 28X36 man cave :( I sure do miss the ol girl
    Ever see a Jeep hit second gear with a automatic on the road and do wheelies ;) this one would

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  17. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I got a Dodge ram PU. It is a work in progress. But I do have agressive tires on it. Its not a rock crawler by any means, but it gets me through all of the forest roads.

18. Sniper75

Sniper75 New Member

Hey thanks alot I'll be checking it out been looking for some good trails other than Pendleton. I usually go on base but your not alot to take your pov of the main roads. (although the tank trails are a blast but very very technical)

As you can see hehe

Attached Files:

19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Heres mine...
    256 6-cyl. (Built by Clifford Research), 4 spd. manual. The PO put power steering and brakes in it.. As well as the SSII kit

Attached Files:

20. Papa_Woody

Papa_Woody New Member

That's not the first POV I have seen lose to the tankers trails. Lol. That is great. I like that it is a Comanche too. I saw one roll long end over long end down 200 feet of rock face...

If you really want to have a good time, the spot in calico is the best. Shoot ride and camp. We are heading there next weekend. Plenty of room to crawl around, and if you really want to, plenty of places you can test your roll bar. Lol. I'll have the winch.