# of rounds until your satisfied

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by EagleDreamer, Dec 4, 2011.

1. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

When choosing a SD ammo. How many rounds do you shoot(obviously with the gun you intend to load with said new ammo) until you feel comfortable that ammo is going to function?

Furthermore do you guys feel it is important to carry hollow point in a CCW/HD weapon?

2. rugernut

rugernut New Member

I would at least shoot 1 to 2 boxes of the ammo

3. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

I usually shoot a full mag through each gun just to see how they shoot/the gun likes em. Then i test them on stuff with usually 2 shots per target if possible. As to the HP question-yes i normally do. Unless the rounds are polymer tipped ballistic tips. My colts like most hp's and the 230 gr nosler partitions. I usually shoot either the noslers or 230 gr hydrashoks

4. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

if the first one shoots, functions properly and hits where you aim, chances are the rest will

5. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I like to make sure it functions properly, hits where I want it too (or atleast be able to take a six o clock hold with it), and just get a general feel for it. I like to run about 100-150 rounds of it through my carry firearm before deciding whether or not to carry it/rely on it.

6. oldman45

oldman45 New Member

I try to shoot 2-3 mags full before I get comfortable. Then I do it again every few months to make sure wear on the gun has not caused any problems.

One day this week, I will run a few Black Talons (the original BT) through it to confirm they still work.

7. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

You do know those BT's are illegal in most of the US right?

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If I feel that I can rely on the firearm, I will consider it for SD.

Any failures on the range (be it at 5 or 5000 round count) will cause concerns.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

just use the golden saber :) its a black talon painted a more politically correct color and given a more politically correct name

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Yep;) although with a black man in office i think "politically correct" went out the winder

11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I always carry JHPs on carry weapons, and most of my firearms at home stay loaded with them. As much as making sure your gun cycles any given ammunition correctly, it's also important to make sure that each and every mag you may use for carry does as well. More often than not, the magazine is the most foul-prone aspect of any semi-auto firearm. There are plenty of dud magazines out there.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

As long as I've cycled a mag I feel comfortable.

IMO most feed jams you might encounter with

defensive ammo should surface by then.

SD ammo(i.e.-hollowpoints) are OK, but I

don't obsess over them, personally.

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i keep my xd ready to go. so when i go to the range i run through that first mag of SD ammo. i use the hornady tap. i dont shoot more than that because its expensive and ive also seen the results that that ammo has in my xd.. it must just be me but that pistol/ammo is the best combo ive found. another reason i only shoot the first mag is that almost everytime i shoot that ammo. all my shots al touching, and thats normally at about 10 to 16 yards. none of my plinking ammo can do that. and ive also not had any issues as far as jams with the hornady stuff.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, it starts getting expensive really quick.

My only advice would be get something which says

"SD ammo" or "defensive rounds" on the box,

VS "Double Tap", "Twice as Deadly", or "Kills them, and

pisses on their grave!",etc. In the event , God forbid,

you actually wind up using them and go to court.

15. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Hydrashoks work awesomely and you cant get in trouble for owning them

16. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

For range practice use two FMJ boxes @ 50 each.
    For personal carry use both FMJ and HP.

17. gollygee

gollygee New Member

During the pistol 'break-in' period, I test it for handling HP ammo with the cheap Remington UMC JHP that you can get at Walmart. This just tells me that it'll cycle the flat nosed profile of a HP & I usually shoot at least 50 rounds of that. My SD ammo is Federal HST which comes in a box of 50. In .45ACP I carry my pistols loaded with 7+1 so I shoot all but 16 rounds, using two different mags.

In 9mm, I have one with 13 rd. capacity & the other is 17 rd. capacity & I do not carry spare mags, so for each pistol, I'll shoot all of a box except for one mag load.

18. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Please back that statement up. I've not been able to find an actual reference that backs it up.
    For what little it's worth, Wikipedia states:

In 1993 Winchester removed the ammunition from public sale,[12] and eventually law enforcement began using the re-branded Ranger SXT line of the same basic design, but at no time was Black Talon ammunition illegal to possess.

Also from Wikipedia:
    Winchester discontinued the Black Talon line completely in 2000. The “Ranger SXT” ammunition sold later by Winchester is very similar to the Black Talon though without the black Lubalox coating on the bullet. Among shooters, a running joke is that SXT stands for “Same eXact Thing", though the official branding is “Supreme eXpansion Technology”.

Black Talon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Please note:
    I'm not by any means stating that Wikipedia is the be all, end all. If it is wrong, I'd like to have a source of reliable info that is, in fact, accurate.

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Wikipedia is all lies cuz anyone can change any article. I cant give you that proof just hope you dont get caught with them because i know in tx, la, and mo they are a mandatory jail time.

20. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

Please give one example of wikipedia "lies"