Odd Nitpicks

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Thlayli, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Thlayli

Thlayli New Member

Does anyone have what others might consider odd nit picks about handling game, or hunting practices, or anything hunting related.

For example, I never did like those pictures of guys with their deer or bear hung up by the neck on a gambrel, and wouldn't have my picture taken with my game that way. I don't think they are wrong or bad people or anything, it just looks to me like a hanging, and to me seems almost disrespectful to the animal. I prefer if it's hung up by the back legs or a ground shot (for pictures).

This isn't a judgement on anyone, just a personal preference. Anyone else have any weird sort of nitpicky preferences?

2. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

My great grandfather used to level the wooden floor (yes, he insisted on a floor) of his duck blinds with a saucer full of coffee.

Does that count?

:D

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

people that only harvest the backstrap and horns off their kills...

4. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

...or *breast* their pheasants, ducks or geese

5. Gordo323

Gordo323 New Member

Yeah, that bothers me as well! Pheasant is way better with the skin left on and really not that difficult to pluck. Of course I also tie my own fishing flies so I am careful with the feathers as well.

To OP, while not hunting related, my Grandma used to spit on her fishing bait, lure or whatever was on her line before casting. She caught a lot of fish, so I still do the same thing :D

6. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Guys that wear orange plastic in the woods. You can hear them 100 yards away! I was set up on the edge of an old apple orchard in the middle of no where. This guy comes walking by and right through the middle of the orchard covered from head to toe in orange plastic. Sounded like a little kid in snow pants. Ruined my day. I thanked him in a not so polite fashion. When I got to my truck, he was parked against my rear bumper. No etiquette.
    Being shot at really sucks also. The orange hat, orange wool vest and the orange fanny pack did not make me visible enough.

7. unclebear

unclebear New Member

I don't like going hunting with guys that buy a bunch of fancy crap just to go hunting, also I don't like going hunting with my girlfriend (long story short the first time hunting ended with a trip to the hospital and a police report...)

Also I don't like those guys that get over excited after killing something, ya you can be excited but you killed a deer we didn't win the super bowl.

but as far as odd, I always have to have a map of where I'm hunting and always have to know what is around the surrounding area for two reasons safety and if a SHTF should occur while I'm hunting I always have a plan for getting the hell out of there

8. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Yeah I have kind of stopped watching most hunting shows because they are nothing but trophy hunters with all their terms like "big nine""drop tine""crab claw"and"200 points",I see a bunch of idiots on tv that can't even shoot a deer without shaking and immediatly run up to it and start saying what the score of it's antlers are with no care for the entire animal.

9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know what you mean,I have friends and family that have spent $thousands$ on hunting clothing to use it one day a year.What I do is just buy an orange vest that can be worn on anything and orange hat,and wear whatever I want,I have several old winter coats and gloves that do just fine.

10. unclebear

unclebear New Member

it's happened a few times I go to take someone that's new to hunting and when I go to pick them up they have way more stuff then they need, I don't know how other people hunt but you don't really need 50 pounds of stuff to hunt from a tree stand or a blind. Granted there are some things that are nice to have like insulated boots but no one needs a boom box with a cd loaded with calls, honestly that's what I'm there for, mostly it's just annoying.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I don't hunt but if I did, I would bring a recliner and a heated blanket and a loooooong extension cord. Maybe a space heater pointed at me. Would that be too much? I don't like being cold.

12. skipme56

skipme56 New Member

Drunk hunters, I have been shot at by drunks hunting that thought I was a deer. Sound shooters! Recipe for disaster.

13. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

When someone says to pick them up at a certain time to go afield and their not ready.

Pheasant "hunting" on a private game ranch where they plant the birds and know just where to kick them up. To me it's just "killing" not "hunting."

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Shoot back. At that point it's armed combat. Especially if your on your own land (several in my family have been through this, most of them are combat vets too)

15. ACRhino

ACRhino New Member

Don't ever do that, you will go to jail.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Seen it done, 3 different occasions, they weren't even charged, didn't have to go to court. I haven't done it myself, I haven't been in that situation. Simply put, if some one trespasses on your property and then takes a shot at you, in the town where I grew up, they're fair game.

17. skipme56

skipme56 New Member

It would not have been so bad but I was 15 feet in a tree and in full hunter orange. Let's just say one had to walk back to town because it was difficult to start his truck with a hole in the engine. I don't take kindly to being shot at! Amazing what a 303 Enfield round will do.

18. cswann1

cswann1 New Member

My biggest pet peeve by far:

I plan a hunt weeks in advance. I buy Beer, food, Beer, hunting license, gas, beer, ammo, batteries, beer, ice...Oh and beer.

I get up 30 minutes before the butt-crack of dawn ever thinks of getting up, brew my coffee, put it in a Thurmos, get all bundled up and hike to the stand.

I do all that work and the damn deer doesn't even to have the common courtesy to send me a text saying he can't make it.

19. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have seen most of my nitpicks listed here already, but here are a couple more.
    Hunters who will stand and loudly argue with non hunters in public. Okay, they don't agree with your veiw. Wish them a nice day (while subconsiouly wishing on them a plague of fleas in both amrpits!), and walk away. Show the others who really is the bigger man.

Hunters who enter a store while wearing blood soaked camo, reeking of deer urine, and buzzed, to buy more beer. Atleast do the other customers, hunters and non hunters alike, the courtesy of changeing your clotes and taking a shower first. Way to present a positve image. Not! Like we don't already have enough of a negative image in the liberal heavy public thanks to movies like Open Season an Bambi!
    Please try and remember this, we are all representitves of the outdoor sports. Try to act accordingly. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Make it count!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011