Odd 9mm reloading issue, OAL

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Desdenova, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Desdenova

Desdenova New Member

Ok, here's the deal. I don't know if this is actually a problem, so I thought I'd ask you guys. Better safe than sorry!

I use a Hornady LNL Auto-Progressive to reload, and I noticed some inconsistencies on the overall length of 9mms

What I've found is, if a cartridge is being resized at the same time a bullet is being seated, it's not seated as deep as it is calibrated. Like the action of resizing is preventing the press from fully cycling

However, the difference is like 1.10 instead of 1.09. My thought is that this isn't enough of a difference to really be an issue, but I just want to make sure. I thought about calibrating to seat the bullet lower, but from what I understand 9mms can be touchy with pressures

If it matters, I'm using Rainier 115gr plated HPs with Hornady dies

If I left any key info out, let me know

Thanks!

2. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I don't have an LNL, but I do have a Dillon. As with any progressive press, you need to set each station for depth etc. with the machine full ie: All stations are in there normal operational state. Now as far as your OAL difference, it won't hurt anything.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I resize in one operation, then clean primer pockets and process through a Magma Case Master (resizes from the rim to the mouth) to correct any Glock related case issues.

And, I use a Dillon RL-450

4. yellowhand

yellowhand New Member

Should not be enough to cause a problem.
    A Wilson case guage will tell you quickly if a loaded round is going to be an issue.
    I keep one on the bench for 9mm, .40, .45ACP.
    If it fits into the Wilson, it will fit into your firearm.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I got to thinking about it a little more and believe it is just the nature of a progressive press. THere is a little tolerance built in to the design so things can rotate. The difference you describe in OAL is not significant. .010 will not casue a noticeable difference in pressure, velocity, point of impact or cycling relaibility.