OCD Gun cleaners - Unite !!!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Defiant_one, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Got your attention? Well in case you have ADHD too. let me say I am sort of OCD when it comes to gun cleaning. I am not looking to start a thread of "Should you clean/Should you not clean". I have been through at least a 1/2 dozen on other sites.

I am just curious if there are others, like me (though I am one of a kind..lol) that truly enjoy detail gun cleaning. I tend to clean after every range session (2 times per week) and I have to sit on my hands to not clean until two have gone by.

I put at least 150 rounds of ammo through each at a session and I know I could put a heck of a lot more before cleaning...But I enjoy it. sort of like taking your classic car out...and you want it detailed before the next time.

Who else? :D

2. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I clean mine EVERY time after I shoot. I also clean it once a month even if I haven't been shooting. And I clean it when I get bored, or when I just get that urge to clean it. It's something that helps relieve stress for me.

Your gun can never be clean enough! :D

3. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

You must be

Related...LOL..and summarized how I feel about it...it is truly half of my hobby. The other half gets the guns dirty...;)

4. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I love cleaning my guns and I do it after every outing. It allows me to understand how it works and it also is a good time to see what parts need replacing and how the parts are wearing.

5. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Another good reason to clean your guns often is so that they'll always go boom. There's only one thing louder than a gunshot in a emergency situation... the click of a malfunctioning weapon.

6. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The Safe Queens once a month. The Special stuff 2X per month. The carry guns and our Rimfire completion guns every week, and before & after every shoot session...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

7. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

my name is hawkguy, and i am an OCD gun cleaner....:p

i dunno, i wish i could say i enjoy being OCD about my guns, but i don't enjoy it. it is more of a curse....or a "have to" for me....cleaning guns at this point in my life

my wife also notices the attention to detail i spend w/my guns and wonders why my clothes rarely make it in the hamper? :eek:

i'm not rich...when i spend $ on a gun, it represents a significant amount for me, and an investment of sorts. i just can't stand leaving them dirty and neglected, when i think of how hard i worked to buy it.

8. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

all my BP guns front stuffers and cartridge guns get a good cleaning after I shoot them
    my guns that use modern smokeless rounds get at least a field stripping and a good wipe down after shooting them.
    I always clean the bore after shooting any of my guns.

9. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

I am so glad

I am not alone...lol...

This weekend, all got detailed to the max as I am taking my insurance agent shooting this weekend (his first time) so want them to be cool looking clean shooting toys...LOL

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

all mine get cleaned after shooting. periodically they are cleaned and inspected whether they have been shot or not.

i am not really OCD or anal about cleaning, just that i know it was part of properly caring for something that i have money invested in. more so for inspection and maintanance of something i may need to rely upon for my safety.

i can't see spending good money on good firearms and not taking care of them. i was taught by my father at an early age to take care of things and they would take care of me. i have made good money over the years, repairing all different items that were mistreated, neglected and poorly maintained.

11. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Not to rain on parades or anything, and to each their own for sure, but I've found that my guns function just fine with all sorts of gunky lint build up, months of skin flakes, pocket lint, hair and whatever else might crawl into a gun from just being under a pillow or in a pocket. I take them out to shoot without cleaning at all and bang, just like last time, on the dot and in the spot.

Then again, previously I only collected SA hammer guns. I feel a LOT less confident with striker fire.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I clean pocket pistols a lot. My full size guns are running dry before I clean them. Long guns get cleaned every 6 months if they need it or not.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

eeeewwww nasty!:eek:

14. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Now worries guys

I know some people just run them and no ill effects...My thread was about people like me that just LOVE to clean them..even if they are not dirty...LOL

I enjoy the takedown, stripping, cleaning and lubing...as one poster said, its cathartic...

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

The guns you "see" me cleaning the most are the Carry Guns, And the comp. 22's,....other stuff gets cleaned in rotational order,...even if I'm only shooting my Carry Guns 1 or2X per month, they are going to be cleaned 2 to 4X a month. I never wanna hear "Click " except when I'm practicing dry,....

The "Bulldogge" likes to sit and watch, if I'm cleaning, or doing Radio. Many times he is next to me while recording the Podcast, and I have to"keep a strait face" when he does something funny or is flatulant...one day I'm going freak Vikingdad and TekGreg out by putting him in my office chair with headphones on...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talkh

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I don`t have ADHD or OCD. But that`s what I do everyday, unless I am out shooting !...............

17. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I clean my guns after I've shot them, put them back in the safe, and I inspect them once a month to see if they need oiling if it's not something I shoot regularly.

Apart from that, I don't worry about it too much.

I've found that my leather slings are actually what takes the most time to care for with Houston's heat and humidity. It takes an hour to clean and condition a M1907 the way I do it.

I'm sure nylon would solve those problems, but putting plastic on a M1903, M1, or even M14 just feels wrong.

18. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

What do you use to take care of your leather slings? I've got a beautiful handmade sling from a close friend, and I want to keep it that way. If I remember I'll post a pic of it tomorrow.

19. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

A good gun should be able to shoot in all of the conditions that you listed. That being said, just because it CAN shoot like that doesn't mean that it's the best way to keep them :)

20. St8LineGunsmith

St8LineGunsmith New Member

just use a litte leather conditoner once a year just to put some moisture in the leather and to keep it supple.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014