OC vs CC...boundaries?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by Poink88, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Dumb question for the folks that have both OC and CC in their State.

I am wondering where (if any) is the transition from CC to OC. Is there a gray area when either is not met?

Like;
    - Can you be charged/cited if you print while you CC when there is also an OC?
    - If you carry in a shoulder holster and only the end/last 2" barrel of your 8" revolver is peeking at the bottom of your jacket is that okay?
    - Is there a minimum percentage of the gun that must show for it to be categorized as OC?
    - etc.

Thanks.

2. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

It depends a lot on state laws, but they are often differentiated by intent. If you intend to open carry, it must be deliberately in the open and not covered by any garmets. If you are attempting to conceal, it should not show at all. I believe there are some states that allow both, but will get you in trouble for printing / poorly concealing a weapon that was intended to be a concealed. Basically, they do not blur the line between "concealed" and "open:" if your jacket blows open, you are poorly concealing a weapon, rather than "temporarily" openly carrying. However, other states, AFAIK, do allow these lines to be blurred and won't cite you for accidentally printing.

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Here in GA we can do either if you have a permit so it's a moot point. My kids lived in Florida for years and it's CC only there and LEOs could get nasty even if you printed. We've had the FL printing discussion a few times here before.

Open means open and uncovered, concealed means completely concealed without even obvious printing...

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

As you all know, I am learning every day here and I ask a lot of questions. Here's one more question.............Isn't an 8" barrel a little large for conceal carry?

5. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

LOL, yes it is and in the scenario I am just trying to see if it is allowed (as OC and CC). Seems like you cannot flip-flop between the 2 though.

6. winds-of-change

Haha, oh, I see. I was thinking...........WOW, he must be a very tall man!

7. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

As the OP intro said... "Dumb question" since I am really clueless. :eek:

8. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

I think it would be more accurate to say you can flip flop, you just can't do both at the same time, and no one but you should see your transition from open to concealed or vice-versa.

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

It really truly does depend on your state. As I said, here in GA either is fine if you have a permit. Many of us, me included, often carry lazy-concealed - especially if I'm in a hurry. I'll clip on a paddle holster and pull a shirt over it and it prints badly - but who cares...

10. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

I carried my 8" Raging Bull a bit, and will continue to do so once I get it back and if it turns out to be in good shape. :D

11. winds-of-change

Seriously? How do you conceal carry it?

12. Lindenwood

Lindenwood New Member

Surprisingly, IWB on the weak side at around 8:00 or 8:30, butt forward (cross-draw). I am very thin and wear tailored clothes, and most all of my jackets and vests will conceal the Bull, even when zipped up. I had no intention of CCing it when I first bought it, and only after just casually messing around at home did I realize it wasn't actually that difficult to conceal. I made a quick trip to Walmart with the Bull on my left hip, 4 speedloaders in front of my right hip, and a shell belt around my stomach wiith the shells twisted around under my right arm :p . Though every other time I just throw a single speedloader in the vest's front pocket.