Firearms Talk banner

OC in CA on Vacation

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  TheDaggle 
#1 ·
I am traveling for a fishing trip in Northern Cali this week. I plan to take my XDm 40 and carry it as we will be in remote areas hiking/ fishing. There are no "legal" 10 round capacity magazines available for my handgun and it is not the approved "list" of California legal handguns . I have read the California law and interpret the statement "it is illegal to import a high capacity magazine" to mean that I cannot bring one in. My question is, if I were to modify a magazine to hold 9 rounds would my XDm be legal there on vacation? I spent a ton of time searching and cannot find the answer to this.

#3 ·
Isn't just taking the gun illegal?

I think you should be as concerned about your magazine as you are about carrying your XD.

#4 ·
In reading handgunlaw.us and the related California Penal Code section12020(c)(25) says California does not ban the possession of large capacity magazines, from what I've read their main concern is that the large cap mags are not to be imported for sale. Also handgunlaw.us says that handguns are allowed in State Parks and State/National forests but not in Wildlife Management Areas (Oregon allows this). As to getting to areas for hiking and fishing read the laws for vehicle carry as that's were you could get into trouble. California is at our Southern border and my wife keeps saying she would like to visit some of the areas other than the Coastal Redwoods North of Cresent City but I keep telling her that California is a third world country that I don't particularly want to visit or even travel through if I don't have to.

#5 ·
I wouldn't go hiking or fishing in California, I'd rather do that in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Nevada or Colorado where carrying open on trails, lakes or streams is no big deal. What a sad situation that California doesn't honor the Constitution. In the midst of this Left Coast we really do need a State of Jefferson.

#6 ·
I tried once before to get an answer to the question of visitors bringing handguns into CA. Could not find a clear answer. They say if you’re moving to CA you have thirty days to register all HGs. But does that mean you can visit for thirty days and be free from the all HGs registered law? They do have XD40s on the approved list but I don't see XDM40s. I don't think the type gun is the big issue as much as the not registered in CA law.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

As for high cap mags you can put a rivet or fold a tab to create a 10 rounder out of a twenty. We do that with the ARs for easier handling and general coolness of looks.

#7 ·
I was born and raised in California...San Diego. I moved away in 1989 and have no intention of going back. Your permit means nothing there. If you are caught with a concealed weapon...your in trouble...depending on the LEA...if you were involved in a shooting...your in trouble...justified or not...good cop or not...I don't want to go on further because I know some of you have to live there but look what's happened to my home state! :mad: Freakin' modern day Sodom and Gomorrah...

#8 ·
I decided not to bring my XDm to cali and had a great fishing trip. I landed a 21" Brown on a size 22 barb less hook on 2.4 pound test on my hand built 3 weight fly rod.... But that's another story.
My brother in law that I went Fishing with is a Sheriff in California, I borrowed one of his HK 40's to open carry when we were hiking in the back country.

#9 ·
I decided not to bring my XDm to cali and had a great fishing trip. I landed a 21" Brown on a size 22 barb less hook on 2.4 pound test on my hand built 3 weight fly rod.... But that's another story.
My brother in law that I went Fishing with is a Sheriff in California, I borrowed one of his HK 40's to open carry when we were hiking in the back country.
Good to hear the fishing trip turned out great for you, a 21" Brown is extremely nice especially on light tackle. The largest Brown I caught was in Colorado on the Blue River just above Green Mountain Reservoir it was about 15" (back in the 1970's) but my stepdad told me about Browns in Dillon that were huge, much like those in Lake Powell, Utah. Just curious, what's your brother-in-law's thoughts on gun laws in his state?

#10 ·
He does not like them at all, I am still trying to talk them into moving here. That way I do not have to go to Cali to fish... even once a year is too much. He was not aware that the average citizen cannot buy an XDm and just about any other newly designed handgun there first because it is not on the "California tested and approved" handgun list and because there is not a legal capacity magazine for it. LEO's can purchase them however. He's not big on the double standard. He spent some years in the jail system and has heard the criminals perspective that they know in an armed robbery or any other situation the likelihood of coming across someone with a gun is so remote they do not even think about it.

#11 ·
OC in Kalifornistan

This info is elsewhere on this forum..but may be helpful here, too, if someone is looking for OC carry info in Kali.

Note that the Kali OC carry law is in the process of being changed. The state assembly voted to BAN open carry. The bill (reported by ABC news to be Assembly Bill 1934) is going to the Kali Senate, then to the governor's desk.

California's assembly voted to ban carrying guns openly in public | abc7news.com

Note also, tht CURRENT Kali OC law prohibits carrying a LOADED weapon!

Something I don't know about the current OC Kali law...a semi-automatic weapon is considered 'loaded' in Oregon even if the weapon does NOT have a clip IN it...IF a loaded clip is at hand.

Is it the same in Kali? Currently, is an OC weapon considered loaded if it's a semi-auto and you have a loaded clip in your pocket?

The US Constituion has been abrogated, abraded, and flat out raped so many times for so many years, it doesn't mean much any more. Yes, states can make their own 'rules'..but supposedly NOT if they are at odds with the Constitution.

Supposedly.......... What a joke THAT has become.

#13 ·
pie8man said:
The weapon must be unloaded. In Cali this means you can legally open carry the magazine or revolver clip and the gun separately on your person. Less than 10 round capacity max.
Thanks!

I did find that 'unloaded' info later, should have edited my post.

What I read would lead me to question the 10-round capacity max. part, though. It is my understanding that such 'hi-cap' magazines cannot be 'imported' for sale in Ca. NOT that they are illegal to have in your possession.

Granted, this is noted as 'abridged', but THIS from californiaopencarry says nothing about magazine capacity.

Please note, also, that the clip does NOT have to be 'separate' from the weapon, as determined in People vs: Clark in 1996 (from the above document):

...the California Court of Appeal clarified that in order to be “loaded” a firearm must have ammunition “placed into a position from which it can be fired”. It even went so far as to point out as an example of what is not
loaded to include shells attached to a shotgun inside a buttstock shell carrier.

#14 ·
This is intended to combat the rampant crime committed by citizens who guns legally. As the stats show, nearly everyone who has ever OCd in california has committed a crime while doing so. Look it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.