Obama bans importation of AK'S

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by kctgb, Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kctgb

kctgb New Member

Has anyone heard that the Obama administration has banned importation of Ak rifles. I saw mention of it on a different forum and was wondering if anyone else knows of this.

Thanks

2. indy36

indy36 New Member

Of course. The world has. It's a 'Russian-made' ban and not an 'AK pattern rife' ban. You can still buy AKs, just not from Russia. Bulgaria, Egypt, Romania, etc etc etc are all fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

But the ban includes the Russian ammo, no? And isn't the Russian ammo plentiful, cheap, and most of what's out there right now?

4. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I believe you should buy American anyway.

AK's are ugly foreign guns.

5. Highpower

Highpower New Member

I believe you can buy what you want, and I'll continue to buy whatever I want. See how nicely that works out? ;)

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Russia isn't the only source for cheap ammo. Other countries will gladly fill the void. Serbia, Yugoslavia, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic have also been providing ammo to import companies like Wolf, Herters, Bear, etc.

7. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Meh... form and function are not always complementary.

No offense and none taken

8. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Much of it is Ukrainian. Wolf is an importer, not the manufacturer. WPA comes from Ukraine, Wolf Gold from Taiwan. Golden Tiger is Ukrainian. Ukraine alone can churn out as much as we want. The Bears of color, on the other hand, are gone, and good riddance.
    Kazakhstan sells us a lot of ammo in paper wrappers. Just try not to inhale the powder smoke. You don't know what they might start putting in it.

9. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

And who cares how many civilian airliners the Russians shoot down, as long as I can buy cheap ammo!

10. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Remind me again where you found ANY of that in what I posted? You quoted me after all. ;)

[​IMG]

Have you tried to buy an American made television set lately???
    Sheeez....

11. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Chain is responding to a certain attitude among certain members. It truly exists. He may have taken you out of context, but can speak for himself. But man it is disturbing.

12. SSGN_Doc

In fairness he was responding to a comment on AKs vs buying American. There are several sources that are not Russian, including AKs built in the US.

So, buying an AK isn't necessarily buying Russian.

13. SSGN_Doc

And some of the Wolf Gold line is actually rebranded Prvi Partisan from Serbia.

14. Highpower

Highpower New Member

Well, I have Chinese, Bulgarian and Yugoslavian AK's. But maybe I better trade them all in on a "Neva bin dun be-fo" Red Jacket special, just in case the Chinese get uppity and start something..... :rolleyes:

Or NOT. If we got rid of every make of arms and ammo that have ever been involved in human suffering there wouldn't be anything left. But maybe that is the true agenda here....

15. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, I used to be huge on the "Buy American" thing. Nowadays it's almost impossible for people without unlimited resources. And sometimes, US stuff isn't even the best. IMHO, we as a country, (with a few exceptions) have completely lost the ability to manufacture goods, durable or otherwise. My new $3000 water heater is expected to last 10 years.

16. SSGN_Doc

My "Japanese" truck was built in Tennessee. Volvo has cars built in China. Manufacturing has gone global.

17. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I think still built in Sweden, just owned by China. Building Volvos in China would kill the brand. The chicoms know that.

18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

AKs are crap anyways.

I never use mine anymore.

19. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Made in America doesn't necessarily mean made in America. I have a Ford Ranger that has a big sticker on the back of it that says proudly made in America. The parts are interchangeable with a Mazda pickup. All Ford does is slap their bumpers, grill, a few interior part and their logo on a Mazda. That is as close to American made as anything gets. My wife likes Honda cars. Her Honda is more American made than my American truck.

Proof that Americans can manufacture quality products, as long as they have Japanese management.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

actually that is incorrect JD. the Mazda B series is actually a rebadged Ford Ranger. the Ford Ranger came out in 1983 as a replacement for the Ford Courier, which was a rebadged Mazda B series.

Ford and Mazda have collaberated on many projects and vehicles for a good many years.

here is the link to the source on the Ford Ranger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_(North_America)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.