O/U to turkey hunt with?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by onetohunt, Mar 28, 2013.

1. onetohunt

onetohunt New Member

Thinking about buying a Browning Cynergy 12 ga to start turkey hunting with. It is a 3.5". Just curious if any one turkey hunts with one or any other over/under for that matter. Looks like it would be fun and something different for me to try!! Look forward to hearing what you have to say on it. thanks.

2. towboater

towboater Active Member

That would be great. I've hunted Turkey with an O/U

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

That would be a good gun to Turkey hunt with but for that kind of money you could buy a nice semi auto to hunt with

4. onetohunt

onetohunt New Member

I've got a SX2, I'm just looking for something to play with as well. It never hurts to have a extra gun. Just wasn't and still not sure how they pattern down range?

5. towboater

towboater Active Member

If ya wanna try something "really" different. Try hunting turkeys with a black powder shotgun.. :D

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

They should pattern just as good as any other shotgun with a good choke/load combo

7. onetohunt

onetohunt New Member

Done that and the gun kicked like a mule.....:D:D

8. towboater

towboater Active Member

Did ya get the turkey?

9. jp_over

jp_over New Member

I think the pattern would be fine (here's what I use for duck/goose hunting with my Browning Gold: http://www.wadwizard.com/terror.htm). The recoil with turkey loads on the other hand might be a misery.

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Definitely will kick like a mule.

But you could have a close range and long range choke options.

11. montveil

montveil New Member

Be aware that double barrel shotguns have crossing paths that converge at some point downrange, probably at 40 yards.
    I pattern my O/U so the first barrel is sighted in at 40 yards as the first shot and it will probably be your only one. The second barrel I use hold off.
    If shooting with a side by side the differences will be horizontal rather then vertical. A pair of rifle sights will be of great help and it takes some searching to find the right ones for the rib. A scope is not recommended for a vent rib attachment