O/U or Semi auto for clays?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by okieboy, Apr 21, 2013.

1. okieboy

okieboy New Member

I was considering getting an O/U for clay shooting but after reading about some of the pros and cons of O/U I'm now thinking a semi auto. The weather by SA-08 looks appealing and the reviews look great. But are there any other suggestions or thoughts on shotgun models?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

IMO, not so humbly, anything made by Benelli. Possibly a Vinci, or a Montefeltro if you want wood furniture.

3. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Find out what some of your friends a running, and ask if you can try out their shotgun for a round or two. That way, you will know if a particular model or make will work well for you or if it won't. I myself use either my grandfather's old Stevens Springfield double, or my Kessler model 30C with a Komp-Choke on the end of the barrel. I have used other guys' shotguns on na few occasions (Hey man, you wanna trade for this round? Sounds good. I've ben eyeballin' your's since you took it out of the case.), and I enjoyed using the SA-08 and the Vinci.

Point is, if you are considering one and someone you know has one, see if you can try their's out before you pass your cash over the counter. Nothing sucks more than spending the money, and then finding out what you bought just doesn't feel right out on the line. Best of luck.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

back years ago when i did shoot sporting clays, very few people used anything but an O/U shotgun. so this was what i naturally used as well.

very seldom saw someone using a semi-auto or even a pump. did see a few from time to time though.

personally, i would use a O/U, but you need to use what fits you and works best for you.

5. 1911love

1911love New Member

My personal fav is a Browning Citori. It's an O/U semi-auto. You can select which barrel to fire first and they handle great. They are pricey, so alas I don't own one, but I've used them quite a bit in the field busting clays. Great gun, I vote O/U.

6. okieboy

okieboy New Member

This will just be a casual clay shotgun and with the budget I'm on I can't afford more than $700 Ish.

7. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

When I first started to shoot a shotgun it was at a friends house...he had a few acres and a few shotguns...so it began. (this was about 10 years ago) We were at his home for some holiday and just started talking about it and suddenly we were in his safe breaking out his shotguns. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn then, used a 20ga. pump, an old 410 single a 12ga pump. He did have a red label though, and when I started with that, I started hitting the targets...it seemed to fit me well. Whatever worked is what I wound up with...so now I have an O/U, a single and a Mossberg 500 pump. Now a few years later I find that it doesn't matter what gun I use, I shoot about the same with each. And you will have more than one by the time you are finished buying guns...I guarantee that. I think the balance of the O/U, the weight distribution and the overall style was most suited for me.

8. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

If a gun's worth getting then getting a good one is worth it. It would be best buying something of a little better quality.You'll have to save, but you'll really appreciate it after shooting it. Though I have a few costing more my Weatherby Regency OU has been good to me for many years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. austin92

austin92 New Member

How do you guys think a mossy 930 would do shooting clays?

10. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I've done it with my 500.

11. okieboy

okieboy New Member

Any reviews on the weatherby sa-08?

12. JCANNON

JCANNON New Member

There's some over/unders, namely the cz line that are close to your range $800ish. Check galleryofguns.com they got some good stuff available

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

I just shot 2 rounds of skeet yesterday. I was the only guy there with a semi-auto. Everyone had over-unders. There were no pumps the 3 hours I was there. My Beretta did fine though. It was me that sucked.

image-1002383142.jpg

image-1566430120.jpg

14. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

My girl has it.. Used to have it in 20ga but now in 12ga... Thing is light as hell!! Only about 6lbs.. Shoots smooth and no problems.. Comes with 2 pistons so that light and heavy loads feed all the time.. And for under 500 bucks u can't complain for a semi-auto shotgun..

Personally I have a berreta and would prob leave it home to take the weatherby to go for upland game with.. So light and maneuverable..

15. okieboy

okieboy New Member

That's exactly what I wanted to hear

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I would say which ever one you shoot best, hell I use a single barrel & I have all types of shotguns......................

17. okieboy

okieboy New Member

What are some good quality low price O/U shotguns for a casual clay shooter?

18. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

I have a stoeger 12 gauge over under. I think I paid 300-350 for it, and I really like it

19. okieboy

okieboy New Member

See I've only read bad reviews about stoegors.

20. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

If your really putting some shells out there, it may not be the best, but I have used it for dove hunting and casual clay shooting from time to time. Haven't had a problem yet