NYS pistol question

Discussion in 'New York Gun Forum' started by jjfuller1, Nov 1, 2012.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

ive been searching and cant find any thing. any links you guys have?

the question:
    NYS is a CCW state. i have my permit. i cant find anything about a pistol left in a vehicle.
    say if i was carrying and had to enter a bank, or federal building. i would want to leave my gear behind. but i cant find any laws pertaining to or regarding this issue.

do you know?

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Not from the state but generally speaking you are required to have the firearm locked up and ammo seperate.

3. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

JJ. The best advice I can give you is to talk to one of the Troopers at the local NYSP barracks. I myself have a lock box bolted to the floor of my truck, and located behind the seat. I unload, place the magazine in the door pocket, and lock my pistol in the box. Upon returning to my vehicle, I unlock the box, remove the mag from the door pocket, reload, and reset my gear after I am in the truck. To the best of my knowledge, unloaded in the locked glovebox is fine when you are not in the vehicle, but I am not a lawyer or a LEO. Check with your local LEOs, or maybe the pistol permit clerk. One or the other should be able to help you.

And yes, NY's laws can be very vague, and can be interpreted in several different ways sometimes. Concealed carry laws are especially unclear. By the way, If yoiu get a clear answer, pleas epost it so the rest of us know what it is. Thanks and best of luck.

4. kflo01

kflo01 New Member

There's no law on leaving your gun in your car. I live in Orange county. When I got my permit they included a letter with info and it suggested not to leave your gun in your car without locking it up.

5. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I don’t think there is a law either, but you are responsible for your firearm. Leaving it unsecured when it’s not being used by you may be construed as negligence, and probably will be considered negligence if it is used in a crime.

6. kflo01

kflo01 New Member

No I agree its not responsible and the county clerk doesnt want you doing it as stated in their letter when you get your permit. They don't recommend it its just not a "law".

7. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

8. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Firearms laws vary from county to county in NY on top of all the state laws. Check with the local Sheriff's office on the transport requirements for the county you live in.

9. xd40man

xd40man New Member

I work at the V.A. It was told by every employee, you're are not and I say again you are not allowed to carry a fire arm into any federal facility. You will have to check it in at the the police or security. I questioned a Buffalo Police Officer about his weapon while visiting a friend here. He replied that he was not aware and he would go talk to the officer downstairs so he would'nt get jammed up.
    I then spoke with a seargent about it, he claimed they knew,which they did'nt and I brought it to the attention of the assistant director and he said they were not allowed to enter the building with out checking out there weapons. So do not attempt to enter a federal building with a weapon without checking it in.

10. Longtrain

Longtrain New Member

Even the Federal law that allows CCW in Federal Parks for persons CCW licensed in that particular State does not allow you to carry in any building in which Federal employees work. There are even signs on the restrooms indicating that you cannot carry in the building.

The NRA tooted this as a great law allowing CCWers to carry in Federal Parks, what they didn't tell you is this you have to hold it until you get home.

11. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Like Dog said, NY counties vary but most dont tell you exactly how you must secure it, they just strongly urge that you should. Too many PU Trucks and others to require any one method and upstate is pro gun. The real danger is posed by your perceived lack of doing so if something goes wrong and someone gets hurt or killed by it even if you were in the courthouse unarmed when it happened. Just sign your house, cars and retirements over cause you will be sued to extinction!

City laws can be much different so you better check if your Packing Downstate. Even Syracuse is writing its own laws now, thats ridiculous...

12. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I cannot figure out why the Federal Govt. will not simply clearly state a law(s), and decree that it is the one final answer for ALL the states, period. One Fed CCP, and you're good to go. Any state or locality that has a problem with it would have to petition the Federal Govt. for an exception. It would be so much simpler.....

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

You would give the Federal government that degree of control?

14. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

What control? The default in my scenario would be freer that what we currently have. Think of it this way: I can take my NH driver's license, and drive in all 50 states. Why not the same thing for guns?

Of course, in my scenario, the govt. is NOT taking the opportunity to remake those laws into something more strict.....

15. Vincine

Vincine New Member

This was my point.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I think if the govt. just took what was already there, for the most part and standardized it, it would work. Majority rules. But I see what you're saying.

Just out of curiosity, How does drivers liscences happen to work out that all of the 50 states more or less have the same requirements to drive a car and recognize each others liscences?

17. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

maybe because they are all registered, insured and easy to CONTROL?

18. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think it probably has to do with following DOT standards in order to receive federal funds.

19. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

We definitely do have law stated clearly in the BORs, Not to be infringed is pretty solid, regulation beyond that is foolery. So many folks give up parts because of the "Theater Clause", "You cant shout Fire in a theater"! Actually, the act itself of shouting "Fire" in a crowd or possessing a firearm is not in itself a punishable crime by the Law of the land. If you dont take someones BORS away doing either, youve done no harm by either.

Back on topic, check your local laws and act responsibly with your weapons and nobody should give a rats *** otherwise!

20. xd40man

xd40man New Member

I was taught that when you have to enter a building and I do think it s a law,but I cannot direct you to where to find it. But it is said that if you have to seperate yourself from your weapon, you must lock it in a gun box and place it in the trunk. In fact that was on a law enforcement exams. Hopes this helps some

XD40man