NYS handgun laws...help!!!

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by ecohitman81, Aug 31, 2012.

1. ecohitman81

ecohitman81 New Member

Former resident of NY, Traveling to NYS this weekend (upstate) can I legally possess my handgun as long is i follow NYS laws. I am a current resident of TN and have my carry permit. I know I cannot carry in NY but can I legally possess?

2. vincent

vincent New Member

3. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

A very brief search on google u would find this answer... No you can't.

Also being a CCW holder already you should know what state have reciprocity with tenn.

Not trying to throw u out on a limb but I live in NYS now, I'm only 20 don't have a permit and ik that...

Believe me.. Ik New York sucks ***!!! I can't trick out my ar15 at all..

4. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

I'm sorry, I didn't see that u asked about possession not carrying.

Being that nys is crazy about pistols and the fact that you NEED a permit just to hold one in a gun store as to own one, I would say no u can't.

I can't even make a pit stop in NYC with a long gun without possibly getting a felony charge...

Best thing to do it not risk it and leave it home...

Ik for a fact tho that if you were going to drive through the state with no planned stops then yes you can have it but I has to be locked in the truck with the ammo separate in the car..

5. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

"It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license."

Right from nys gun laws

6. ecohitman81

ecohitman81 New Member

Yeah probably not worth the risk. I have traveled via car and brought it but as soon as I get to erie PA, I unload lock and separate ammunition..Im flying up this time and don't want to risk the TSA possibly reporting to the state and ruining my trip..NYS is a bit extreme on Gun control laws and that's one thing I sure do not miss.

7. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ur flying? Leave the thing home...

Unless u want to give away your pistol.. I'll take it if u don't want it :)

8. ecohitman81

ecohitman81 New Member

Yeah its stayin home..it is legal to fly with if it is checked baggage locked in box and all that good stuff according to TSA site and delta..just been itchin to put some rounds through new sr9-c had it two weeks and no time to take to range yet..was hopin to break it in back home on the acres and acres of land my folks have..o well

9. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

U can if u go to a state that sees your pistol permit.. Nys background check is like the ones the ATF does for class 3 weapons... Crazy hard they try to find something that they can say no too..

10. khegglie

khegglie New Member

Sir, just don't.

11. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

If your firearm is locked within checked baggage with a TSA inspection sticker on it, and you happen to land by air travel in either Islip, LaGuardia or JFK airports, you will be immediately arrested and charged. Period. These are traps you need to be aware of. Beware!

12. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

no. no handguns are allowed in NYS without a permit.. its allowed only if you drive through NY with NO stops. spending the night. and even stopping for food could possibly be breaking the law. when driving through with no stops, it has to be locked away in the trunk and away from ammo. for no other reason can you posses a pistol in NYS without a NYS pistol permit.

13. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Just don't stop in NYC for food or gas. Go right through that 'city trap.'

14. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

its not just the city.. its the WHOLE state.

15. JD1969

JD1969 New Member

I used to drive from Maine to IL quite often, it's impossible to not stop for gas, food or the restroom in NY. What a bunch of asshats making laws in that state, as bad as IL or maybe worse.

16. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

This is a trap for me too.. When I go from long island to my house upstate, I pass trough
    Queens, Kinga county, manhattan and the bronx..

I stop at all with my rifles or shotgun, jail time..

17. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

There are no TRAPS landing in NYC. What nonsense. They will hand you your luggage with the gun and off you go. I do it all the time.

However, when LEAVING with a handgun, the policy is to call over either the NYC Transit or regular Police. Once these donut-eaters arrive at their leisure, they will harass you and delay to make you miss your flight. Last departure I built in an extra hour and a half, just made my flight and only because a supervisor walked me through security, someone in baggage tried to steal my gun from the safe that was cable-tied into the luggage, and note I am authorized to have a handgun there!

Federal law allows you to transit transportation hubs in posession of a firearm regardless of local law. However, without the right authority, you may not stop or stay in NY City or NY State with a handgun unless it is licensed. Carrying for citizens of the state is hard enough to arrange, almost impossible, and essentially impossible in NYC except for wealthy celebrities who donate alot of money to anti-gun Mayor Bloomberg.

Shotgun might be better. Ticket agent just asks if gun is unloaded, maybe locked, you sign a card and slip it into the case... But even there, remember, you are only passing through Bloomberg's city, NY CITY -- you didn't and will not stop anywhere in the five buroughs. Right!?

As for NJ, I would avoid it with any arm at any cost always. The donut-eaters there WILL arrest people regardless of the law and have the attitude "so, sue me." They are sued, the state taxes people to pay, and the tough cop who saved so many people is promoted. In the meantime you are in jail and considered a felon which will always follow you somehow -- they do not care.

In both NJ and NYC only the police are supposed to have guns they are sure, otherwise you are automatically a criminal.

18. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Aren't these statements kinda counter intuitive?

19. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

And JFK and LGA airports are in the 5 counties of NYC.

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Perhaps, which is why I was careful about writing the truth so people wouldn't have to intuit anything.

What they definitely are is counter-heresay. Counter rumor.

What they are not is contradictory.