NYS ar question

Discussion in 'New York Gun Forum' started by jjfuller1, Apr 10, 2012.

1. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

so i know what you all say about asking legal advice here but i was curious if you have any input.

the foreward hand grip like this in the photo.. are they new york state legal? i have seen them on ar's here. a friend of mine that is a dealer had one. but i asked about them in a different gun store today and he said they were illegal. and that if i had one not to get caught. i was just seeing if you guys had any input. as far as i thought before they were allowed

Attached Files:

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

3. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

As far as I know they ARE NOT illegal...I know multiple law abiding citizens that have them. In New York there are 5 defining features of an "assault weapon" and you may have 2 of them on a rifle.

1. Adjustable/Collapsable stock
    2. Pistol Grip
    3. Ability to accept 30 round or higher magazines
    4. Bayonet Lug
    5. Threaded muzzle for changeable flash hiders and suppressors

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  4. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

You can only have 2 of these on your rifle. I have a RRA and it came with the bayonet lug gone, muzzle brake pinned and welded, stock pinned and 2 10 rd mags..

Also forward pistol grips are legal. I have one on mine and a DEC cop held it while I was upstate last year...

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

5. bkt

bkt New Member

LUBrowningBoy pretty much covered it. The forward grip is OK, but the collapsible stock isn't unless your lower is pre-ban. The other item not mentioned is a grenade launcher.

In NYS, you can have two of the "evil" features listed. Since an AR has a pistol grip and detachable mag, those are your two features. Any more than that and it's illegal unless, like I said, your lower is pre-ban.

Please note that some locales have laws on top of NYS laws. For example, it is illegal to possess an AR-15 in any configuration in the Rochester city limits.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

Thanks for the input all. Thought I was going crazy cause I try to know my laws as best I can.

Stinks to be in Rochester then bkt. Luckily my buddy lives in gates

7. bkt

bkt New Member

I'm not in the city limits.

8. TimL2952

TimL2952 New Member

Hey bkt, you ever go to Rochester Brooks Gun Club? It's in Honeyoye Falls... I'm out there all the time shooting clays.

9. bkt

bkt New Member

Been meaning to check it out, but no, I don't shoot there. I was a member with the GCL for a while - nice place, but pricey. Four Point is on my radar since a couple buddies of mine shoot there. Usually, I shoot on private land.