NYC CCW Double Standard

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by darkknight-nyc, Jan 30, 2012.

1. darkknight-nyc

darkknight-nyc New Member

Stories like this really pisses me off. If the shooter was your average NYC law abiding citizen (instead of an off-duty police officer), he would be dead because he isn't allowed to carry a firearm. :mad:

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/155088/off-duty-officer-fatally-shoots-would-be-teen-mugger

Off-Duty Officer Fatally Shoots Would-Be Teen Mugger
    By: Kristen Shaughnessy

Police are investigating after a teenager was shot and killed by an off-duty police officer late last night during an apparent robbery attempt in Brooklyn.

It happened just before 12 a.m. Monday outside 22 Grove Street in Bushwick.

Sources say the off-duty detective was walking along the street when the teenager, identified as Antoine White, 17, and another man came up behind him and apparently tried to rob him.

Sources say White hit the officer on the left side of his face with a cane while the other man simulated that he had a gun.

They say when White hit the detective with the cane again, the officer identified himself and fired off one round, hitting him in the chest.

Some people who live or work in the area say they were surprised, while others were not.

"It gets quiet and then they come back. On Broadway they've been putting police down because they've been robbing people. They taking the phones and breaking car windows and they've been robbing people. Like I say last night they got the wrong person," said one Bushwick resident.

"A lot of people come in at 12 and it is real scary to know you can walk into situations like this. Usually I walk down Grove and I had to walk down Linden and that's scary over there too," said another resident.

The officer was taken to the hospital for trauma and injuries to his face.

Police are still looking for White's accomplice.

2. bkt

bkt New Member

Stories like this should be used to repeal NYC's insane gun-control laws. But nothing will happen. Too few people in NYC get it.

3. darkknight-nyc

darkknight-nyc New Member

The majority of NYC residents are brainwashed here by Mr Bloomberg's "War On Guns" media propaganda. I'm flipping through gun magazines in the subway (wear a suit an tie) and riders are looking at me like I'm going to get up a start shooting. :eek:

Can't wait for his (illegal) 3rd term is up. What's sad is that on the same day the NYPD was running their gun buyback program.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

This only goes to prove what I have been saying all along- we have to do something about all those assualt canes out there.

There needs to be a waiting period to get one of those- and a 7 inch limit on canes. And don't get me started on the Cane Show loophole, and those damned Hoveround chairs!

:p

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Nah, bloomerberg would just point out that the robbers didn't have a firearm. He would ignore the rest; blinders work on jackasses and jenny's too, not just horses.

6. dewey

dewey New Member

Yeah, if the shooter had been a private citizen instesd of leo, he would now be looking at prison time.

Basically, NYC. is saying "we own you. you may not defend yourself, or your family for that matter." They have put a value on your life, and it aint squat.

7. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

...and millions of people still choose to live there?

Sheeple get the Govt they deserve.

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

About NYC gun laws, a contrasting opinion.

I grew up & lived in NYC. NYC has more: More money & more poverty, more good jobs & more unemployment, more this & more that, etc., then most other places. It has more of everything, except space. (Nebraska got that.) It has a lot of very sharp people (see Wall St.) & it also has an unbelievable number of emotional imbeciles (many also in Wall St.) than most other places.

If guns were freely available in NYC you would see an explosion of accidents and regrettable homicides to make the number of homicides from robberies and attacks seem like a suggestion. You’d have people killing each other over card games and parking spaces, forget about foreclosures and firings. If you don’t believe me, watch ‘Judge Judy’ a couple of times and tell me if you would feel safer in NYC if people like that had guns as an option. There are lots of people like that in NYC.

Think about all those who have become habituated to some degree the public teat. What do you think they would do if (when?) the milk stops? What do you think would happen when people who have had a life time of more limited control over their lives then the rest of us, were to suddenly obtain the power of life and death for the first time?

In NYC the danger from BGs with guns isn’t anything like the danger from ‘friends & family’ with guns. A lot of you guys have grown up with guns and are accustomed to the rights & responsibilities that go with gun ownership. That’s not the case in NYC. The only experience vast majority of people there have with firearms is the movies where the guns never run out of bullets, the BGs can’t shoot, the GGs only get flesh wounds, and you’re a hero because you use a gun. And lots of people want to be a hero.

The gun laws in NYC aren’t there to keep the guns out of the hands of the bad guys, they’re there to keep the guns out of the hands of the good guys. Except for the LEOs (usually), most New Yorkers aren’t competent to have the responsibility. If they’ve got kids, they’ll store the gun without the lock because they lost the keys and on top of the refrigerator because it’s ‘out of reach’ or they’ll use a Desert Eagle to shoot chickadees in their backyard and be surprised that the bullet went through the cyclone fence backstop and hit their neighbor’s house across the driveway.

Personally I don’t think visiting legally permitted handgun carriers to NYC should get anything more than their hand slapped, perhaps hard for not doing their homework. But I don’t know how NYC would be able to sort those out from those who would use lax restrictions as a free ride to run guns to the aforementioned idiots.

I believe in ‘home rule’ and whether or not I like the restrictions on firearms in NYC, it’s wouldn't presume to think it's my call. It’s theirs.

(I moved away from NYC for unrelated reasons awhile ago.)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

So you believe it is justified to deny citizens their rights under the constitution because you believe they are too ignorant to own a firearm.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

I AM a believer in evolution. Or, as a friend used to say, "Go Lemmings Go!" The average IQ of the human race would probably improve a smidge.

11. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

That is the same argument that the Brady ban all guns have used to fight gun rights every where in the country. The truth is with proper background checks the states now have less crime. This was the same propaganda that said gun fights would be constant in big cities at stop lights. Some what true car jackings in those cities is no longer healthy. NYC is safer with the bad guys owning guns? People afraid to walk on their own streets? And you want to ban guns to reduce accidents?:confused:

12. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

I was a NY cop in my in a former life. The gun laws are ridiculous. Mandatory 1 yr irrespective of circumstances. Virtually impossible to get a carry permit. On the other hand, they issued one (and have continued to renew it) to Howard Stern.

And people wonder why i moved south.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

13. Vincine

Vincine New Member

(Hmmm. It's hard to separate me; the New Yorker, from me the Adirondacker. Your indulgence please.)

No. I believe they are justified to deny themselves their rights under the constitution because they believe that there are too many of them that are too ignorant to own a firearm. They feel safer with firearm restrictions then without them.

Which, having lived there, I believe may very well be the case in actually as well as perception.

Which, having been a member of the Westside Rifle & Pistol Range but who stopped because of all the 'cowboys' and 'secret agents' that started going there who waived their guns all around, and who should have known better, know to be true personally.

New Yorkers feel safer with firearm restrictions then without them. Which is why no local NYC candidate who opposes the restrictions gets elected.

This is my informed opinion of the situation in NYC.

14. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

They also give a CCW to Don Imus a user of hard drugs and brags about it. By Federal Law how does he buy a legal firearm. These things are OK in Left Leaning thought only the working class is a danger.:mad:

15. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

To the best of my knowledge Imus was never convicted of a felony.
    I think he was too stoned to be arrested.

16. Vincine

Vincine New Member

There isn't a correlation between gun regulation and gun violence. There are some states with strict gun restrictions that have rates of gun violence just as high as states without, and there are some states without gun restrictions that have rates of gun violence just as low as states that do. I checked.

The problem with absolute gun restrictions, is it's application across the whole country.
    The problem without gun restrictions is it's application across the whole country.

Although good numbers on gun accidents visa-vie gun restrictions and violence are elusive, it seems that where gun control is low, violent crime is down but 'accidents' are up; and where gun restrictions are high, accidents are low, but violent crime is higher (only criminals have guns, etc.).

Generally speaking rural areas have low rates of both violence & accidents and urban areas have high rates of violence & accidents.

I don't know that it matters to someone whether they were shot on purpose or by accident. I do think it matters to some communities which price they wish to pay. NYC would rather have crime (which is currently relatively low actually) than accidents.

17. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

You are 100% wrong. Read John Lott's More Guns Less Crime. I am absolutely sure he check more than you did.

18. Belltactical

Belltactical New Member

Totally unscientific.
    Where I live, everyone is carrying and everyone knows it.
    We have an incredibly low violent crime rate (exclude domestics and mdp's).

19. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

This is very antigun propaganda right from the Brady Hand Book. My question is why is Vincine posting on a progun forum?:rolleyes: As if we don't know.:(

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree that spouting the Brady pablum is silly. One must keep in mind that gun "violence" statistics include justified uses of force by LE and civilians. Gun violence is high in Houston (for example), but they have an officer involved shooting nearly every day. That adds over 300 to the number every year. Houston is pretty rough and tumble for a "civilized" city. HPD, Harris County and various other smaller agencies deal with some very bad apples. They deal with them as they should, by shooting them. I have not seen the stats lately, but NYPD shoots quite a few BG's every year too. Their numbers are artifically inflated by such statistics.