Number Stations

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Trunk Monkey, May 29, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

When l was a kid, l built a one tube transmitter. l had a Halicrafters S38 receiver. l went on to buy an "ARC 5" transmitter from government surplus for $4.95. They were used on airplanes at one time. Anyway l removed the dynamo power supply and install an AC transformer/5U4G and filter. l was on the air! let my General Class HAM Lisc expire a few years back.

G66enigma, Ingramite and ellis36 like this.
  2. ellis36

ellis36 Well-Known Member Supporter

A little like my childhood except I never got my HAM license. I studied for it but never got a chance to take the exam. My receiver still sets in my garage as a reminder of my childhood passions..

ellis

P1020906.jpg

TimKS, OLD Ron and RJF22553 like this.

3. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

l got my HAM lisc when they lifted the Morse Code requirement. My brother is a General class as well, his wife a Technician both waited out the Morse Code requirement.

ellis36 and Ingramite like this.
  4. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

is it still operable so you could still tune in listening for skip?

the unit had decent sensitivity & tune-abilities for just sitting there with headphones on to while away hours in the early morning darkness...

OLD Ron, ellis36 and Ingramite like this.
  5. ellis36

No. The power supply filter capacitors would have to be replaced. I did it to a HeathKit A-9C Audio Amplifier a few years ago. Matter of fact, when I went out and took the picture the thought went through my mind that I should put that on my list to do.

ellis

OLD Ron likes this.
  6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember getting skip on CB. 5 watts and talking to Australia from Washington state.

RJF22553, Ingramite and ellis36 like this.
  7. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

come out a re-engage in listening & chatting by visiting a local convention and pick up a 'good' used one for $$ or go whole hog and visit Ham Radio Outlet https://www.hamradio.com/

[in these contentious times :( coupled with your personal perspectives, ya might just consider mobile w/ps, e.g., yaesu 2900 + ac ps to use in vehicle & home -- just saying...:cool:]

OLD Ron and ellis36 like this.
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

OMG- flash from the past- Wolfman Jack- broadcasting from Del Rio Texas (well, right across the river) on XERF. Yeah, I suppose you COULD hear him at night- they had a RCA transmitter that was pumping out a quarter million watts. You could pick him up with highly sophisticated equipment. Like a barbed wire fence. Having a radio was optional!

There WAS a station there in the mid 1930s with an output of 1 million watts. Reportedly, it would make bedsprings vibrate, and bled into phone conversations.

9. ellis36

I listened to XERF many, many times.
    Come nightfall it was hard not to! :)

It was called a "Clear Channel" station. Like "Clear the channel! I'm coming through!"

At night I could tune across the dial on my little 5 tube AC/DC radio and get nothing but weak signals fading in and out with the nighttime skip then ......1570 on the dial

THIS IS XERF COMING TO YOU FROM DEL RIO, TEXAS.

They always dragged out the "D..E..L ....R..EEE..OOO, TEXAS!!!

ellis

winds-of-change and Nmwabbit like this.
  10. ellis36

Thanks, wabbit! Very interesting link to read. Just reading the tube types jogs the memories. I'm thankful I lived through the unfolding of the electronics world when it was simple enough for common man (and young people) to understand the concepts involved.
    Even TV technology wasn't that complicated. In about 1973 I built a Heath-kit color TV.
    Made a 25 year career servicing industrial and professional video tape recorders, cameras and such. I was an authorized Sony Service facility for their video products.

How quickly it all went away!

ellis

RJF22553 likes this.
  11. RKtullahoma

RKtullahoma Well-Known Member Supporter

And how dreadfully fast it could come back if even part of the internet takes a dump.

From what i got from the elmers in Vegas, the HAM golden age was after tubes went away and before chips entered. Where you could just about build your own rig without waiting for expensive touchy tubes nor have to be locked into chips.

I have, with my own eyes, seen what was arguably the General class dream rig. An Icom IC-706 MkIIG with almost every expansion on it. Guy was selling it cause he had got hooked on chips. Must have been over $5000 to put that together, he wanted $2k. I left vegas n February 2018, and one of the last things I did was attend a first Saturday tailgate get-together where said rig was up ... no takers.

One of the crankier elmers out there was on a quest to back engineer some of the more sophisticated chip rigs back to solid state.

ellis36 likes this.
  12. ellis36

I understand the same back-engineering is somewhat in vogue with the audio crowd......
    back to vacuum tubes technology for pre-amps and amplifiers.

"Hi-Fi" with 6L6GT's and such (before "Stereo") was my niche from my teen-age years up to the years I lost my upper range hearing to the chipping hammers on Navy ships.

The glow of heater filaments in tube amplifiers in a darkened room listening to the best of Benny Goodman and such on LP records.....the smell of hot bakelite and warm resistors........

"Those Were The Days!"

Hat tip to Archie!

ellis

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    RJF22553 likes this.
  13. RJF22553

RJF22553 Well-Known Member

Still have two Japanese tube guitar amps (Elk-Echo-45) that need replacement tubes. They are available, but mostly Russian. Sweetest sound around!

ellis36 likes this.