Nuanced question time on Ammo storage..

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bluez, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

One other thing about desiccants....a piece wood will give off or take on moisture until it finds equilibrium with the environment...what that means to the layman is if you were to dry the piece of wood in an oven or microwave oven and drive it to close to 0 moisture, it will absorb moisture until it reaches the environmental RH...and you can dry it over and over. The thing to remember is that if you "super heat" wood it damages its ability to take on and give off moisture some....by super heat, I mean temps over 350 degrees F...the more heat, the more damage to cellular structure. The way you know it is getting close to zero is by weight...when it stops losing weight after drying, it is 0% moisture.

bluez likes this.
  2. coonbait

coonbait Member

steel case ammo, unless kept in ideal conditions will start to oxidize in a short time. had some Russian (wolf) nickel plated .223 ammo in their boxes in good ammo cans with desiccants packs and they started to rust after only 2 yrs. the lacquer coated still look good after 5 yrs. in the same type of storage. brass cased should last a very very long time.

EclecticShooter and Oldoutlaw like this.

3. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

Exactly right. The nickel, what ever it is coated with, are a big problem. Buy that and shoot it up.

Also, beware of the Russian Steel case with the dry polymer coating. It is just about as bad. My 7.62x39 corroded a bit after two years packed as you did. However, my lacquer coated ammo did not after I checked a 5 year can. Also, I have 27 year old Wolf 7.62x39 lacquer coated ammo in unsealed cans and card board boxes that has not corroded at all. In fact, that is what I am shooting lately. Every round is as good as the day I bought those cases.

Rifling82 and EclecticShooter like this.