Nuanced question time on Ammo storage..

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by bluez, Apr 28, 2019.

1. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

I have a generous supply of ammo in long term storage in cans with seals.

I know for certain even marginally stored military style ammo generally lasts a looooong time... but I want this to last several decades with 100% surety.

Some of it is newer manufacture very nicely laquered and sealed in the old school russian style....I am not so worried about that stuff ...

..but much of it is only commercial grade and lacks the milspec sealeant around the bullet neck and the primer..

90% of the cans have desiccant packs in them.... the ones w/o desiccant packs are in original cardboard boxes inside the Ammo cans .. cardboard has a small desiccant effect itself and this should be useful, IF the seals hold.

Will applying vaseline to the seals make those seals seal better and/or last longer by an appreciable degree?
    Is there a better substance to use
    ?

Its mostly economy ammo , but the better economy ammo...This stuff is supposed to outlast me by decades.... for children and grandchildren ... a rainy day supply treasure ... for a time when ammo is no longer freely available.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Oldoutlaw, MisterMcCool and PANDEMIC like this.
  2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My son, you are a big boy now, and it is time for us that have "that" talk.

This is a condom. Most are made of latex rubber. A lot of folks have thought they needed some lubrication, and grabbed that little jar of Vaseline. Vaseline is PETROLEUM jelly- meaning it is made from oil, Never mix oil and rubber. It makes the rubber break down. That's why they make things like KY jelly- it is water based.

Oh- and don't put Vaseline on the seals for your ammo cans, either. Just toss a desiccant pack in there, and close the can up.

I feel much better now that we have had this talk.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Rifling82, primer1, OLD Ron and 10 others like this.

3. En Passant

En Passant Active Member

I laughed with appreciation of your post and I learned (relearned?) something I had forgotten. Thank you!

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

thanks this is the input I was looking for ... so Vaseline= bad for rubber seals..

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

If anybody wants desiccant, let me know. I have an enormous supply.

Caveman Jim, bluez and PANDEMIC like this.
  6. PANDEMIC

PANDEMIC Well-Known Member

Thats exactly how I store my ammo, I leave them in their original boxes that I bought them in but at the same time still leave the desiccant pack in my ammo can for that extra protection from humidity, mosiure and so fourth.

I also have a seperate ammo box w/o a desiccant pack that I keep my .22lr and handgun ammo, but again they are in their original boxes they came in.

Had it like that for a good long while now. And its working really well for me :D

7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

You can buy the sealant. Just google ammunition sealant.

8. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I have THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS OF commercial ammo that is probably 30+ years old that I have taken NO special precautions in storage. A lot of it has made tons of trips around the country in totally unknown conditions and I’ve yet to have ONE round fail to go bang.

9. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Just throw a desicant pack in each ammo can and the contents should outlive you.
    In the past I have used candle wax on some older ammo can seals that looked dry, just warm it enough to get a thin coat.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Bluez, do you use the blue "indicator tablets" in your cans?? They are cobalt blue and turn pink if they get damp.

I use them in all of my ammo cans. Once per year, I open each can and visually check the indicator tablet. If it's turning, I put the dessicant packs in the oven at 200 for two hours, then back in the cans.
    The seals are checked and replaced if cracking. I like to use a light coat of siliocone "camp dry" on the seals as additional protection. I'm sure this is not necessary, but it gives me the warm fuzzies!:)

En Passant likes this.
  11. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I use Di-Electic grease on every seal. A couple of squeeze tubes go a long way. It does not dry out and greatly aids in sealing air out. Buy at any automotive store or in an electrical department in many places.

Caveman Jim and locutus like this.
  12. film495

film495 Active Member

I'd be willing to bet the storage area plays a big part // if the storage room is damp or has high humidity it could work its way into the containers. If the room is air conditioned or has a dehumidifier there is less humidity to have any impact in the first place. Maybe just some ventilation for air flow would be a benefit over the long haul.

13. Oldoutlaw

I have kept some ammo for decades in Military ammo cans that had good rubber seals.
    Added di-electric grease to seals and closed up. NO desicant packs cause I didn't have any. Fat 50 caliber and 120 mm cans. I love these 120mm cans for large quanties of ammo to be kept for years. If I recall correctly, I have 5000 rounds of 9mm ammo in each of these. About ready to see hom much .223 and 5.56 I can get in one.

I opened two 50 cal cans last summer. One 9mm can and a 7.62x39 can after over twenty years. Was in perfect new condition. That 7.62x39 was packed in January of 1989!

[​IMG]

14. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

You guys need more range time :p

15. Wambli

Wambli Well-Known Member

I go through a LOT of pistol ammo on very frequent range sessions but there is ammo I have zeroed a hunting rifle with that I bought a bunch of boxes from a lot specifically for that gun and if it’s hunting ammo it could be just about a lifetime supply for that one rifle. That ammo gets to move with me wherever I move and I do so all too frequently.

16. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

2000 rounds fits nicely in a 50 cal can and is about as heavy as I want to lift. Doubt I could carry 5000 round can very far if at all.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  17. Oldoutlaw

I keep the big cans on an Oak Pallet in the garage. These are for both long term storage
    and not have so many 50cal cans stacked around. When a large can is opened, it is to refill some 50cals I have shot away.

bluez likes this.
  18. film495

film495 Active Member

That is a lot of ammo, if SHTF you'll have a lot to trade to keep yourself well fed.

En Passant likes this.
  19. Oldoutlaw

In my redneck town, ammo will be EXTREMELY valuable. Few Democrats here now. Most of them went for Trump and other Republicans. They are pleased to no end with his new tax law. Miners and Construction workers are what we have always had here. First building was in 1833. Not old for out East, but old for upper Midwest.

bluez likes this.
  20. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Mentioned earlier about desiccants...you will find them in many commercial products and medications. The little packets or round looking pegs...all descants. Start collecting them and don't throw away. I've reached the point that I'm a walking pharmacy and most of my medication comes with desiccants and in the past, Styrofoam coolers with cold packs...those coolers are also excellent for storing stuff that you don't want exposed..I put fishing line, reloading supplies and some clothing to eliminate creepy crawlers. For the sensitive stuff for long term, wrap lid with duct tape to reduce/eliminate air flow...with desiccants, those containers are pretty good long term storage.

sheriffjohn and bluez like this.