NRA, what's in it for me?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Kage0113, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

Why should I join the NRA. I hear that it makes it easier to buy guns if you are a member. I also have a part 2 question. I hear background checks take a while. I just had one in March-ish when I applied to work for a University program, and I passed. So how long should I expect it to take, on average. I want to get my Springfield as soon as I turn 21. I live in Wyoming if that makes a difference.

I am talking about my handgun, if that would make a background check take longer.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. Shotgun Shooter

Shotgun Shooter New Member

I'm not part of the NRA and I own 3 guns, bought 2 of them myself. If you're talking about handguns, I'm not sure.

When I got both my background checks, it took maybe..15 mins? The other half hour I waited, I filled out the paperwork and watched them box up my gun.

S.S.

3. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

Wyoming is a good thing, trust me there. As far as why you should join the NRA, there is a litany of reasons, but none so important as contributing to the voice of the American Gun Owner and the protection of our 2nd Amendment. It boils down to maintaining a strong lobby - making sure our elected representatives hear our concerns and make legislative decisions based on our rights. And, lobbyists cost money - a lot. Freedom isn't free, and this is a prime example. The NRA has to compete with all the left-wing, wacko, anti-gun special interest groups who have PLENTY of money. It takes fire to fight fire, so every little bit helps. Even that measley 35 bucks it takes to join.

4. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Very well said, Aces. Very well said, indeed! :D

5. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

+10 on that aces.. If that membership helps in anyway protect my 2nd amendment rights than its money well spent. Not to mention the strength of numbers every member counts

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

The NRA is an excellent organization and has carried the flag for many years. They are still the 800 pound gorilla of gun rights. However, they have often compromised when they should have stood fast and they have been downright weak in some cases.

That's why I belong to both the NRA and the Gun Owners of America. The GOA is much more vocal and less compromising then the NRA has been. However, they do not yet have the clout of the NRA. So, I support them both.

7. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

Great point! The exact same thing here, even to the level of my State Rifle Assoc.

8. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

Being a NRA member has absolutely NO effect on your back ground check!

It does, however support your right to own a gun.

As does the GOA!

A background check should take a few minutes, but if you have a similar name/social security # as someone who is flagged (like my wife does) it can take a couple of weeks:mad: That's originally why she got a CCW permit. All she has to do now is flash it, and she walks out with the gun.

9. AsmelEduardo

AsmelEduardo New Member

Is not a expense... is an investment...

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Have you ever been to a gun show on opening day and had to wait more than an hour in line? We have that problem at a big gun show in VA. If you join the NRA that day you get to skip the line and go right into the show because the NRA gives you your ticket. Also you get your membership at a discounted price.

The NRA does support your gun rights in the legislature so the larger their membership the more people they can say they are speaking for.

11. layton

layton New Member

Last month when I went to DC, stayed in Fairfax,Va, and had the privilege to visit the NRA gun museum with my 15year old granddaughter, I was really satisfied with it, it was an extensive collection of firearms.

Layton

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Why should you join the NRA. BECAUSE YOU OWN GUNS. DUR TA DUR

What do you get out of it.

Well you get lots of unwanted junk, you get them hitting you up for money 12 times a year. Oh yeah you get the most successful lobbist group on capital hill standing behind your RIGHTS.

14. ACES 6

ACES 6 New Member

Now that's well said! ;)

15. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hell, you all said everything, so my question is Kage........when ya gonna join?

Jack

16. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

My local range also gives a $1 discount on entry for NRA card holders.

17. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

The NRA and GOA are always mentioned, but don't forget about the Second Amendment Foundation.

There is also the National Shooting Sports Foundation, they have some really good resources. NSSF They are the parent organization for the National Association of Firearms Retailers and the National Association of Shooting Ranges.

18. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

I am joining tomorrow. I get paid and am gonna sign up for a 2 year membership.

19. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Being a member of the NRA has nothing what-so-ever to do with buying guns. It also has nothing to do with a NICS (background) check.

The NRA is us. It is of, by and for gun owners, and others who believe in freedom. The NRA is THE major gun lobby in Washington D.C. and has fought tirelessly for YOUR rights. It's about the never ending struggle for our rights.

You should join simply because it's members have been pulling the load for all of those gun owners who are not members, but receive the benefits of our efforts. We could use your help.

Has the NRA done things I do not agree with? Yes, but then so has my wife. I'm not giving up on either of them.

[​IMG]

20. opaww

opaww New Member

I was a member of the NRA many years ago and let the membership laps, I have just rejoined again and am glad I did