NRA might support Harry Reid

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Jeepix, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jeepix

Jeepix New Member

For those that are interested, there's rumors that the NRA might support Harry Reid for re-election in 2010.

I'm disgusted by this. He is no friend to the second amendment!

For those that are interested and want to follow this...also, there is contact info for the NRA at the bottom of the article to voice your opinion to them

NRA - Harry Reid

2. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

A buddy at work sent out an email on this a few days ago. He had even phoned the NRA who told him that no decision on this had yet been taken. I fired off an email to the NRA advising them that I would immediately cancel my membership in the NRA if they in any way endorsed Harry Reid.

I shall wait and see. I am also a member of the GOA and the Texas State Rifle Association, so I have plenty of other places to send my political contributions!

3. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

If they back Harry Ried I will sever all ties with them and never associate myself with any event that they endorse.

4. GMACK

GMACK New Member

Somewhere on this site a video has been posted of Wayne Lapierre slobbering all over Reid at a rifle range in Nevada. In my last issue of American Rifleman it had an article about the event with lots of pictures of Reid. As of yesterday I have called the NRA and told them I would not be renewing my membership, e-mailed them and am not supporting them with round up money when ordering from Midway in the future.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

they are backing him because he got a bigazz range complex built in nv.

6. Jeepix

Jeepix New Member

Well, there was a rebuttal posted this morning and they're saying some of what you are.

Worth the read to figure out what the NRA might be thinking
    NRA - Harry Reid: NRA Rebuttal

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

you lie down with a skunk you aint gonn smell like a rose. reid is not a supporter of gun rights. he just talks. he will sell out the gun owners faster than obama can socialize healthcare. it is time the NRA got a little TEA party. if it comes to a vote on gun rights vs gun bans dont think for a second reid will vote against obama. the nra is a pork machine the will sell out in a heartbeat.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  8. Jeepix

Jeepix New Member

I agree! I think Reid will vote anti-gun as soon as his seat is secure in November. The only reason why he may be doing this is to try and get backed from organizations like NRA.

9. dancingflea

dancingflea New Member

this is real proof dumbing down of america worked so many of us turned idiots.

10. Freedom-1911

Freedom-1911 New Member

I am a life member. And if the NRA does back him I will cancel and tell them to take me off the rolls.
    There are other organizations that I can support that do what they say. NRA backing Reid is short of treason to the function and purpose of the NRA.
    If they do this there will be one member that will never go back.

11. bkt

bkt New Member

It's not about teaching the NRA a lesson. It's about supporting an organization that does not compromise on 2A issues. If you don't want to leave the NRA, then don't. That doesn't mean you can't also join and support other groups like the GOA, and it doesn't mean you can't write the NRA a letter telling them why you're supporting the GOA.

12. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

I belong to GOA and NRA. If the NRA does decide to support Reid, guaranteed; NRA will get a letter from me!!

13. orangello

orangello New Member

Funny coincidence! Guess who just called the office for a donation, yup the NRA. I told them i would have to wait to see who they helped in the next election first.

Really odd coincidence!

14. ironmaiden

ironmaiden New Member

I've heard NRA doing this. Their support of "pro-gun" democrats in Ohio has me a little ticked at them, considering every one of their democrat endorsed candidates have supported everything the president has shoved down our throats...cap & trade, healthcare, etc. I couldn't imagine them standing up for our gun rights if the president decides to try & take them.

As a result, I've let my membership expire to the NRA....just can't stand behind them anymore.

15. Jim1611

Jim1611 New Member

I sent an email to the NRA in regard to their article in the June Rifleman issue. It's too long to post here but I expressed my disdain for thier support of him and that we DON'T need tax dollars to build shooting ranges.

They replied within the hour and basically told me that Reid had a B+ rating with them and that the money being spent on the range, even though 61 million was procured by Reid, wasn't costing the tax payers a dime. They also stated that they were a single "issue" organization.

In my mind they sold themselves out to Reid so that he'd get good publicity for the upcoming November elections and they'd get a multi- million $ range to be able to point to as if they had single handedly built it. It's the same old politics as we've so become accustomed to. Sickening is what it is.

16. Angry_bald_guy

Angry_bald_guy Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Can anyone remember the last time you voted for a politician you believed in instead of against the one you believed in less?

17. ironmaiden

ironmaiden New Member

I find it very sad that the NRA has become so short-sighted in their view of politicians by only looking at the surface. Not trying to be incendiary here, but I know of no democrats who will stand up for gun owners when their party says to do the opposite. The NRA is selling itself, and our future, short by supporting these weak candidates.

Years ago, I can remember the NRA only endorsing A to A- candidates... if the candidate ranked anything else, they wouldn't endorse him or her. So, now they're endorsing B- guys? And Harry Reid to boot? I've seen nothing from Harry Reid that would convince me he's a supporter of our rights...he just hasn't acted out against us yet. Come on, a B- is one step better than a C...and when I was a kid, I still got grounded if I brought home a C.

I agree....GOA is going to be the way to go.

18. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

In my first email to the NRA in response to the rumored endorsement of Harry Reid, the NRA sent me an email telling me that they were a one issue organization (2nd ammendment) and had not yet made any endorsements. Their logic seemed to be that if Harry Reid was pro-2A, then all else was OK. That is pure BS!

I replied that I was NOT a one-issue voter or citizen, and if the NRA endorsed Reid for any reason then I would immediately cancel my membrship.

I just read the article about political endorsements in the latest issue of the Rifleman magazine, and it seemed to me to be a prelude to their endorsement of Reid. I am about ready to fire the NRA now.

The Demoncrats (and Dirty Harry in particular) are doing more damage to the constitution and this country at large than any other organization in the history of this country. Reid can stroke the gun owning segment of voters by appearing to be pro-gun, while at the same time undermining the constitution of this country and cleverly eliminating the constitutional basis for firearms ownership.

If the NRA endorses Reid, I am firing them!

19. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

When I became a life member of the NRA so many years ago, it was because they were the largest organization that represented my rights as a gun owner. They offer so much to so many. You tell me one organization that has more clout and stands firmer on gun rights and offers more programs to shooters than the NRA and I will join them as well.

I've read so many short sighted comments in this thread and one who's comments look at the bigger picture. There is not one organization in the world that will always make the right choices or make choices that will make all of the membership happy 100% of the time. The fact that the NRA enjoys the membership of over 4.3 million gun owners says a lot for them and the leasdership of the organization that "WE" voted in.

Before everyone goes about burning their bra's or jock straps in protest, I suggest you all sit back, take a deep breath and think of why the NRA is truely doing what they might be doing. Look at the bigger picture here..

There is an old saying: "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer"

Thank about it..;)

20. Jim1611

Jim1611 New Member

Your comments are well recieved with me. I have been one that is very disappointed with the way the NRA has handled the Reid thing. Almost every day since writing my letter to the NRA concerning their treatment of Reid I have weighed the facts in my mind. Recending my life membership is not something I take lightly or will do in regard to this alone.

I do believe that since Wayne LaPierre made the comments he did about Clinton needing a certain level of violence to further his agenda the Democrats, as well as the nation, have seen the clout the NRA carries. By the way, hats off to Wayne for saying what he did!! I also think the Democrats are wise enough to see that they need to take power away from the NRA. I think they could do this by further helping in some ways, when it's convienent, and form some alliances with them. We are displeased as members, as well as we should be. The leaders in the NRA see it as a way to procur things for the group as a whole and the dems see it as a way to appease the opposition. What bothers me even more than anything is wondering how far the NRA will go with our enemies. I for one hope that they see that there could be harm done to the organization by rubbing elbows with Liberals of any party. In the end liberals are all about taking freedom and my friends Harry Reid is as liberal as it gets.